konalavadome

Garage Conversion

• 10 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: May 11, 2019, 02:24:11 PM »
Hello

Thought I'd drop in and make my apologies for hardly being around at all lately. I barely managed to get our competition entry sorted before I got totally bogged down...

I've been having my garage converted into a room for writing and recording and messing about in. The first 6ft or so is for storage and the rest (about 10ft by 9ft) has been thoroughly insulated and plasterboarded with keeping the sound in/out very much in mind...I didn't get too carried away at all...just tried to keep an eye on the objective while keeping costs very reasonable. Once done (by a local builder I know) I set about decorating and then kitting it out with some gear (hooray for ebay and gumtree) My only slight extravagance was to pick up a second-hand vocal booth on the cheap which seems to work extremely well...though I've yet to do any proper recording in it...it was around 1/3rd the price of a new one...and I can take it apart and store it away in about 15 mins.

The results are here...

It's worked out really well, I think...and gives me somewhere I can go to record and make a racket without disturbing anyone...until I post the results on Soundcloud,anyway  :P

I still need to get things organised a little in there and pick up a couple of bits and pieces...but I'm 99% done.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 03:31:09 PM »
That looks awesome! :) Should have done something like that myself. Do you have an approximate estimate on how much it has cost to complete a project like that? Do you use any soundproofing or to improve the acoustic? :)

Cheers
Andreas

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 04:43:53 PM »
Wow! I want one! It looks wonderful! It has me all filled up with exclamation points!!!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 07:19:12 PM »
Yes, chair and desk etc all very tasty...and that's a Focusrite Solo is it not....snap! Nice Spitfire!

I'm envious. A dedicated working space would be a dream.

Hope it all works well for you now Paul.

Yes, enjoy!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 08:18:20 PM »
Brilliant Paul! I'm like a lot of folk,totally hamstrung by not having a dedicated space. Buzzing forya mate.  :)

What way did you soundproof the windows?

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 09:43:32 PM »
Seems like it's time for a "My recording environment" thread. I still haven't worked out how to post pictures on the forum so any help would be most welcome  :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 12:57:32 AM »
Ta everyone...it's really good to have somewhere to slink off to.

The insulation is 4" thick and was used for all walls, the ceiling and floor...there was a spare slab so I had it cut to fit in the window space...it's removable, but I leave it there anyway. I had two fire doors fitted as that's where a lot of sound can escape.

Came in under my total budget of £5000...but that included everything...paint, furniture, curtains...even the spitfire! That was £30..it once hung in a pub near Dumfries. Met a lorry driver on a deserted industrial estate in Carlisle to pay and collect...and when his lorry driver mate turned up too, I thought they were going to turn me over...but they were genuine enough...or perhaps didn't fancy it much. I was tired and needed a shave  :P

Building work was all done above (plaster) board...appropriately certified and with Council inspection and consent. Desk and chair were £140 and the globe £10.50.

Yes...a Scarlett Solo, VC...works great and is nice and compact too.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 07:56:58 AM »
Looks great Paul, fantastic little music cave you've built.  Jealous.  One day...
By the way when I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was a great name for a song you must have written: "Garage Conversion", and I figured it would be about a kid getting switched on to punk music.  Maybe you should now write "Garage Conversion" in your garage conversion?
It's all too beautiful.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 08:23:39 AM »
Well done mate, it's fantastic having a designated place to go to....
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 04:53:46 PM »
You've got a picture of my favorite aeroplane on your wall :) :) 8) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!