konalavadome

Virtual vocals.....shock horror!

• 9 Replies

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« on: May 04, 2019, 06:28:20 PM »
Probably of little interest to most of you except perhaps @Sing4me88 but fascinates me.....and I don't have a female voice or female with a voice.

Remember the One Minute Comp? My entry featured a female vocal track which I knocked up from loops and samples word by word sometimes syllable by syllable....took me a bloody age. If you want a reminder....

Went down well enough it seemed but bombed in the voting where nobody had to be nice so who knows?

Anyway I've redone the vocal track using a virtual vocal thing. I can't judge how awful it sounds having listened so many times so just wondering what you make of it.

Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 11:07:51 AM »
@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra -  well this is very interesting Viscount, certainly it’s very convincing I would think I would have your voice a little higher than hers in the mix I keep thinking what Caz would think of it , It very much reminds me of when I first played a roland Gr1 guitar synthesiser and thinking where will this end up it’s not like the real thing,  or when I first saw a live gig with people using a drum machine I couldn’t believe it and our drummer said well that would never catch on ...

Moreover I felt a bit surprised that there were no female vocalist that were willing to help you because there’s quite a few on this forum that would I guess be very happy to sing for you.

Anyway To me the thing that stood out the most of it is super song it was you have such a clever imaginative musical brain, that I can only dream about.

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 10:10:57 AM »
You're both very kind to join in and say nice things!

Yes, the software is clever...not me.

The point for me was that the first effort took a little less than forever to do the female vocal track whereas the second one using the software was pretty quick....and fairly successful I think.

There aren't many female vocalists on here and I'm sure they are very busy, not working in the same areas as I am, and happy doing their own thing for the most part.

The software is being Beta tested so free to use at the moment but will apparently cost 100 bucks plus when its released so I'll not be using it anyway. I was briefly quite excited having done the track so wanted to share it but now I've calmed down anyway.

CPM...your musical skills are far superior to mine I'm sure, but it's nice to be appreciated.....thanks! Initially I did have my vocal higher in the mix but didn't want to think I was trying to hide that fake vocal behind mine so raised it to better help the evaluation of it.

This kind of software might never do an exposed lead vocal but could come in handy for backing stuff maybe.....once we get some free options of course for us poor buggers.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 12:11:07 PM »
Sounds pretty good actually... :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 05:59:40 PM »
Nice one VC. You've done a damn good job - it's a very convincing female vocal fo'sure. There's also some clever harmonies you've integrated in too. Whatever about how it compares to an actual female vocal, it nonetheless opens up new avenues to you creatively and you seem to be able to get the best out of the vocaloid. There's nothing here than betrays any hint that this is a vocaloid rather than a human singing - I say use away!

Can I ask which software it is you are using - might it be Synthesizer V? I've also downloaded the Beta version of it and I'm finding it really useful when playing around. It allows a much closer engagement with prosody etc than toplining of a keyboard does - ie can account for different syllable sounds etc - plus it has a multitrack option that you can layer vocals, add harmonies etc.

Hoping to hear more of you offerings drawing on this in the future!

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 07:53:47 PM »
I find this stuff really interesting. I don't think it sounds particularly authentic and I wouldn't use it (except to play around with) but it's impressive nonetheless. One practical use might be for sending to a hired singer to demonstrate what you're after rather than having to try singing your song yourself, especially if you can't reach some of the notes.

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 08:17:03 PM »
I find this stuff really interesting. I don't think it sounds particularly authentic and I wouldn't use it (except to play around with) but it's impressive nonetheless. One practical use might be for sending to a hired singer to demonstrate what you're after rather than having to try singing your song yourself, especially if you can't reach some of the notes.

Exactly what I use it for - beats me trying to sing like Halsey or CRJ... ;)

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 05:20:17 PM »
@Sing4me88 It's Emvoice which is cloud-based so you need to be connected. At the moment the app won't connect so all testing is on hold. Synth V looks and works well....but the 'singer' isn't so good I don't think.

Yes Bankie it might be some time before this kind of thing ever gets close to sounding right but one of my peculiar traits is that I can't accept that I won't be able to get something sounding good despite the evidence to the contrary so I'll keep plugging away!
Take it easy.

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 07:41:46 PM »
Dude,

Sounds very close the a real singer, ok yeh you can hear it isnt real but there is a place for it for sure..Nice chilled track too.

Andy