Pointless

• 13 Replies

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« on: May 01, 2019, 01:50:48 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Here's our first song of 2019. I know, it's May. Haha. It's been a crazy year so far. I started a job in a new field and have been working my tail off. So music and art have taken a backseat while I try to learn everything I need to. It's been really fun and going well, but I feel kind of guilty that I haven't been creating as much as I like to (need to), and I haven't been reviewing your songs. Apologies to everyone for that.

I'm interested in hearing what you think about this, especially the lyrics, as writing them was a departure. This was started by Keith and me in person, on a recent trip I took to England, and finished in our usual way. I'm playing the acoustic guitar, Keith did the drums and electric guitar (there's 8 tracks of it 😊) and Dave did the dreamy synthesizers.

Listen to and Hull Soul Collective Pointless by faraway my lovely #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/user-468459034/fml-and-hsc-pointless

I didn't see Rufus say anything
That was too outrageous
It's a shame he's gone hopefully
He'll come back eventually

Chorus:
I'm shattered and it's time for
Pointless
Take care and don't let him get you down

Ask for help when you need it
Stand firm when he's being a prat
Just continue being yourself and
Be clear where your lines are

Chorus

Bridge

I always imagined he was singing
About a boat race
And not a face I never really thought about
The words before

Chorus/Outro

Thanks for listening and any thoughts. We appreciate it.

Lynn

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 08:18:36 PM »
@redrhodie - Really dig this, has plenty of headroom, and a gorgeous clossenes in the swimming pool of synth swirls, lovely doubled LVox, just different enough from each other to give that lovely vibe,

Yip very nice indeed, not coloured by over enthusiastic drumming, always a sucker for that US accent.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 10:09:00 PM »
Welcome back and congratulations on getting done with this track after the break.
I suppose having a band, or having folks close to you and your music helps.

I gave this track a listen this morning.
 I really enjoyed the first listen. You really do take some surprising twists.
A good few hours passed before my second listen.
I'd been struggling with a song of my own.

The second listen was also rewarding but I found myself losing a bit of focus, maybe at the bridge.

Maybe it's me, I was dragged away from my own song too early.
I'll give your song another listen tomorrow.

I hope the you're enjoying the changes at work.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 10:41:59 PM »
Hi Lynn,

What an intriguing lyric. 😄👍🏻 I haven’t heard “Pratt” in a song before!🤣 I like this, some interesting melodic turns, mixed with some dreamy synths. Must feel good to get something written and finished again. Nice work.😄🎶👊🏻🎶

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 06:26:51 AM »
Hi Lyn

This is a beautiful dreamy song.

Has a real zero 7 style, it great to listen and chill out.

Love the vocals

Lyrics are clever and very cheeky.

Lots to like here.

Sandeep

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 07:38:33 AM »
Hi Lynn

Welcome back. You've penned an intriguing one here for sure. I'm afraid I have more questions than answers! I can't figure out how there are 8 guitar tracks here. I can only hear one! Can you reveal? Also I haven't got a clue what the lyrics are about! Maybe I'm being dumb but who is Rufus and what is the song about?

In terms of feedback on the song, it's a bit too dreamy for my personal tastes, and at 1.50 to 2.10 or so it drifts a bit too much for me. The synth is overpowering at times. I do like the melody in the chorus though and I think there is a good song in their somewhere its just lost a bit on me! Cheers Micky

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 11:30:27 AM »
Welcome back to the creative fold Lynn :) This song is very dreamy indeed and I like your vocals. I thought the synth was a little overpowering on the first listen, but after the 2nd time round, it didn't bother me ::) I have no idea what this song is about, but it didn't really matter that much,
as I got swept away by the dreaminess of it. :) Cool collab song guys 8)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 06:09:37 PM »
Good to see you back Lynn - Very dreamy. I liked the phased synths and the phased fx on your voice. 8 guitars ? I'm finding it hard to identify them unless some are pretty well hidden. I thought this was a great psychedelic vibe. Cool stuff indeed

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 09:50:38 PM »
Moody instrumentation and production, particularly the synths and lovely vocals - I love your style.. understated - your vocals remind me of the singer from Len - remember them?? 

The lyrics are great - a bit obscure, which I like (and don't really do!) and original - the title is great and works well in the song, again original in its use..

Really enjoyed this... as indeed I am enjoying your album... A fine song - keep them coming!

K

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 01:31:39 PM »
Cool! We confused you. Haha.

CPM, thanks so much. I'm really glad you liked it. You're the one with the accent. 😊

@Rightly did the bridge grow on you? I really love it, but it tells a story I understand. I'm not surprised it gets lost if you don't know what it's about, but I think I'm okay with that. My new job is awesome, and I have a title, artist in residence, that I love. It feels like an achievement, even though I'm still proving myself. Haha. I have lots to learn.

Lost boy, prat isn't even a word here, except for a university in NYC. I thought it would be more intriguing to keep it. Haha.

Thanks so much Sandeep. You're too kind. I'll have to look up zero 7. I meant to do that before posting this.

That's great feedback, Micky. I appreciate your honesty. Thanks for the like anyway. I could tell you a simple thing that would make the whole thing make perfect sense, but I'm mean and not going to. Haha. I'm sure Keith will talk about his guitars soon. He might reveal some things that make the lyrics clearer. That's okay if you decide to, Keith. I just like some obscurity so the listener can interpret it as they want to. Maybe it will tell another story. I don't want to ruin that.

Thanks crystalsuzy. That's interesting that you found the synthesizers overpowering at first. They're pretty subtle for Dave, actually. Haha. He likes to take the train off the tracks. I'm glad you liked the dreaminess.

Thanks John. Dave said the same thing about the guitars. Haha. But I know where they are and I think I know what Keith was thinking about. Maybe. Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks Karen! I had to look up Len, and do remember one of the hit songs. She has a great voice. I'm psyched if I reminded you of her. I really don't know what I sound like. I used to think I was awful but it seems like people like my voice. If you're all just being nice, you fooled me. Haha. Thanks also for buying our lp. I really appreciate that! Yes, I like to be obscure. I dream of writing a song like You're so Vain where everyone wonders who it's about. 😊

Thanks again everyone. Really appreciate all the thoughts.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 01:05:05 PM »
Hi Lynn,

Liking the tripiness of the soundscape; like going on a walkabout during the early hours after a slightly intoxicating night before.

The percussion is soft but just right for the mood.

I've been called a prat on many occasions - usually by Mrs D. Again, not a lyric I've heard in a track before - but the whole dictionary is there for us to use.  :)

Vocal sits well within the song.

Guitars surprisingly tame for Keith.  :)

Cool stuff.

Digger

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 03:19:25 PM »
Always intrigued by your writing, this is a little too psychedelic I think :) it seems to wander a bit and becomes a bit confusing for my tiny mind.. ??? :-\..but pushing the envelope like this has my utmost respect. :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 08:42:37 PM »
I love this, totally ace.  Things I love:
- The pitch shifting on the strings.  They are slippery, unconventional.  Made me think of what My Bloody Valentine do with massively feeding-back guitars.  They slightly wrong-foot the listener, instantly eliminating any cliche from the song.
- The middle 8.  It's loopy, and brilliant.  I was hearing whale song and Formula 1 racing at the same time.
- The lyrics.  To me they seem like they are about an American observing quirky British life ("Pointless"... I guess that's the TV programme you're referring to... and Boat Race is the Cockney Rhyming Slang...   in my interpretation one of your mates has a boyfriend called Rufus and you need to give some life advice.  Did I get it?)
- Vocal delivery.  It has that Suzanna Vega, uber-cool monotone observational air to it.
Excellent stuff guys... knocked my socks off.
Pauly
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 10:34:53 PM by PaulyX »
It's all too beautiful.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 08:06:39 PM »
Yo red and the team.

This one has a very hippy/trippy feel. Listening,it seems to have been around forever. Has a similar feel to early PF track 'Julia Dream'.

I dig that interval at 1.34 to 2.30 had me reaching for my bong!

Lovely work and good to hear your stuff again,Lynn.