On the Slow Glide - US Road Trip Song

• 23 Replies

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2019, 01:23:40 PM »
Hi CPM,

Great mood.

Agree with Tom about the Black Velvet style groove. Just sits there then the good stuff just flows all over it.

I like the way you've mixed it - so laid back - not in your face. Does have a live studio feel to it.
You can just sink in to it.

Like slowed down ZZ Top.

Liked a lot.

Digger

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2019, 09:16:16 PM »
Yeah! I love that sleazy laid back bluesy shuffle. Proper Joe Walsh vibe - and the slide guitar is a treat. Great guitar sound by the way - is that a plugin or an amp + mic?

I was too carried along by how good this feels to even think about the overall sound until the end - but that tells you everything you need to know eh?

Really enjoyed listening to that, thanks for sharing. Some great stuff on the forum tonight!
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 09:23:50 PM »
Yo CPM
I'm not very familiar with Little Feat / Bonnie Raitt / SRV but as some others have said I could feel the ghosts of Zepp and ZZ Top in this... probably with a bit of Mark Bolan in the mix too.  Those are fine ingredients.
Definitely has a measured southern rock swagger to it.  I like the time signature choice a lot.  I rather liked the way your production doesn't choose to "explode" in this... it just keeps choogling along, with a bit of restraint, almost teasing the listener... like it's too cool to show off, you know?  The voice sounded very good too - is that you?  Top work... made me want to buy some cowboy boots.
It's all too beautiful.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2019, 12:35:23 AM »
I wouldn't know you weren't American. Haha.  :D Great road trip song. Everything sounded perfect to me.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 08:13:30 PM »
Yo CPM.

Love that intro,reminds me of 'Black Velvet' by Alannah Miles,on of my fav tracks.

'Tis a great driving choon for sure,sweet sounding Reverend William inspired guitar in there too.

A lovely,chilled,sunny day rocker. Top gear cruising at 80 and feel the flow.  8)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 09:55:38 PM »
Thanks again for taking the time to give this a listen, this was my first attempt at something like this, so please excuse my lack of knowing what Black Velvet is, maybe a guiness or a Baileys kind of thing? I'll definately check it out though.

@Skub - The only Alannah I heard of was that one from the Thompson Twins, the one with the daft huge peak on her cap. And to be honest who is Rev Williams? my Mum knew on once, the Vicar of Rye in Kent, who was one of the Dambusters...maybe that's why he was a Vicar...I'll check out your Black Velvet.

@redrhodie - Thanks Red, Nope sure ain't no  American,yo'hear, maybe it's hanging out with Pam? That's what I should call a Road Trip Song, sounds better.

@PaulyX - Yeah rather like the 6/8 feel or a dotted crotchet 4/4, DumTiDum, (as you know you can play any song in any time sig. as long as you write it out correctly...) they always called it the Morris Dance Time Sig. Regarding the mixing, I really didn't want Lead this or Centre Stage that, the image I had of the band playing it (albeit that the song was actually found in the glove compartment of the 'Stang) was very clear, no PA, so no balanced placement of amps, as If it was a snapshot of a small town gig, glad you picked that up Pauly, rather than not cool to show off, it was rather that each guitarist had complete respect for the others, I tried to get Bonnie Raitt, ,Lowell George and Stevie Ray Vaughn on the same stage,  but theirs was the sound I was after, I'll never be able play like them, so to try and capture their sound was the next best thing. Swagger, I like that, that's something I never associated with Bonnie, she just oozes calm confindence in her slide playing, never in any hurry..Yip, that was me singing, I'm not really that fond of my voice, but as long as people like it, I'm willing to annoy the neighbours. check out 'Long distance Love' By Little Feat.

@tone - thanks for the complement reagrding the Guitar sound, The first break is a Squier Tele Classic Vibe + bridge pickup, The second and 3rd are a Strat with Fender Fat 50's in mid postion,  slide is glass (tried a metal one, sounded awful) All DI'd going into Amplitude 4 (1 & 2 are Mesa Boogie triple rectifier, the last one is a bx_Rockrack Marshall Sim, you would have thought I'd have used a Tweed, but they just didn't get me there literally hours of faff, yip looking back it probably would have been easier to mic it up on my amp. Yeah, I agree there have been some absolutely brilliant songs of late, far better than this one.

@digger72 - Glad I caught the laid back vibe, I think it helped that I had such a clear idea of how I wanted it to sound, helped by the very clear story I had in my mind, glad you liked it.

@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra - Thanks your highness, CPD did a great job, I just said, can you play me some bluesy piano riffs, on a synth, then she was asking about a sustain pedal, then that was up at her Uni, so I had to use a punch in/out on/off switch which caused all sorts of issues, you know how pianists are...

Nice that you notice the hours I put into each song, some take months. I'm still smiling about Vernon and Sheila, what an excellent piece of music that is, really enjoyed it.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:01:36 PM by cowparsleyman »

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2019, 10:21:16 PM »
Thanks again for taking the time to give this a listen, this was my first attempt at something like this, so please excuse my lack of knowing what Black Velvet is, maybe a guiness or a Baileys kind of thing? I'll definately check it out though.

@Skub - The only Alannah I heard of was that one from the Thompson Twins, the one with the daft huge peak on her cap. And to be honest who is Rev Williams? my Mum knew on once, the Vicar of Rye in Kent, who was one of the Dambusters...maybe that's why he was a Vicar...I'll check out your Black Velvet.

Yo @cowparsleyman

The song Black Velvet is a song about Elvis,but nothing like Elvis! I'd bet you've heard it,but just forgotten the name. It's a great tune.

The Reverend William is Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top.  :D

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2019, 02:40:51 AM »
Love that grinding beat and the bass especially.
Reminded me of Rocky Mountain Way - not stolen but same vibe.
Solid vocals, classic guitars.
Wot's not to like here?
Good work  ;D
Paul

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2019, 06:06:14 PM »
@LostBoy @skub just listened To black velvet the original and it’s really good, I wonder if I should release my next song which is about a Romanian guy who kills the chap with a gun it’s quite long and involved with a few sections about six minutes long and I’ve called it Romanian Rhapsody 8)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 08:50:04 PM by cowparsleyman »