konalavadome

On the Slow Glide - US Road Trip Song

• 23 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: May 01, 2019, 10:59:40 AM »
I had a very clear vision for this song, pretty much as I describe it in the Sleeve Notes in SoundCloud.

It's part of my Genre Jumping Suite, never tried anything like this before, the slide guitar, was very enlightning, I got the open A tuning off the packet the glass bottleneck came in.

Was after a Little Feat meets Bonnie Raitt meets SRV meets Cowparsleyman.

Hope you like it, and please...I'm always open to critique.

LYRICS

V1
I'm on the slow glide
Come along for the ride
I've got my rag top down
Going outta town
Got my RayBans on
'n theres nothing I need
Just you and I and this Texas sky
Just you and I and this Texas sky, oh yeah.

Chr
I'm on the slow glide
I'm on the slow glide
I'm on the slow glide
Ain't no place to hide

Solos

Mid8
Listenin' to the sound of the big V8
Headin' on down the interstate
Watchin' the sun rising over the hill
With you by my side
There's nothing I need.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 09:56:41 PM by cowparsleyman »

Troispr

• Busker
    • Songwriter- Troi
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 12:10:54 PM »
I will have to listen to the music you usually write but this genre suits you well! Very groovy and well produced.

I love the guitar, vocals and melody all works very well. Looking forward to hearing more!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 02:07:51 PM »
really enjoyed this song but I do have a few comments which may or may not help, the instruments seemed to be panned really wide (a little too wide for me) and were rather quiet which is a pity..they sounded so good :) and when the guitar solo is on there is a helluvalotta space in the middle and I'm curious why the guitar wasn't in the middle because this also sounded great.. :)
don't get me wrong my friend..this is a good song :) just feel it's not window dressed to it's full potential :)

of course I could be talking absolute bollocks... ;D just my humble opinion mate :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 02:52:29 PM »
@shadowfax - First thanks for the listen, glad you enjoyed it, all comments help guy...as I sang in the Song ... No place to hide...

Your'e right, they are quieter than I'd normally go for...

I didn't want the lead guitars to be a typical huge centre stage feature, think of them more as fills than lead solos...I intentionally brought them down a bit and swung them wide, I wanted them to be something that caught ones ear, rather than was in your face centre stage, I very often don't put Gtrs bang in the middle as sonically there's usually a lot of stuff Bass, Kick, LVox living in there and they aren't so good to move away from the middle, if there are BVox, then they move out a bit (I don't always plonk them wide LR) so you see they creep out....also EQ wise it can get very crowded in the middle too.

Another reason I took them out wide was to add a bit of contrast as the Gtr fills were played on different setups, and I wanted that to be a tad more obvious, as though there were 3 different guitarists  on stage, one with a Tele (with a pushed fender amp), one with a slide strat (with a mesa boogie), and one with a loaded strat (with a Marshall), and their sound came from where they were standing, rather than through a PA, almost so you wanted to look over to where they were playing.

I did have a really great mix, really LOUD, but I didn't think that was a good idea so I spent another 2 weeks re mixing it all...

Of course I have my own criticisms of it, which I'll divulge a bit later...

Anyway I'll take another listen and check.

Rich

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 02:55:20 PM by cowparsleyman »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 03:13:49 PM »
This is great @cowparsleyman amd I think that you've really captured the genre. I've just read your notes in your reply from Kev and I see where you're coming from and I think you've captured a really authentic live sound although I would have preferred the guitars to be a bit more in yer face, but then again I do like guitars in yer face. Overall, It's a very authentic picture of the style excellently executed  :)

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 06:45:06 PM »
Like Pompey I think this brilliantly captures a live sound. The drums sound like they are played live and the overall performance has just enough slack to come across as if you are listening to a live band in a big room. Reminds me a bit of Led Zep and John Bonham perhaps in their later period. Lyrically it's decent enough although a bit derivative (but that's ok!) It all unfolds rather well. Unfortunately I can't comment on the nuances of the production as you are light years ahead of me in that respect. Good job.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 08:13:24 PM »
Gents - thanks very much for lending me your ears.

@mickyplankton - Ho Ho I'm no lyricist, as you should know by now, I just write what sounds good, rather than any coherent story telling, I heard too many great songs that that don't make lyrical sense for me to worry too much about that, Dylan etc. were born to write lyrics, I was born to let them fly over me head... I don't know what derivative means in this context, can you explain please Micky. Your'e very kind about my fader fiddling. Thanks man.

@pompeyjazz - Cheers old bean, most kind, the only advice I can give you about this one is to play it LOUD, close your eyes and imagine you're in that gig and perhaps you'll see why the Gtrs are where they are and how loud they are. It seems to all become clearer at higher volumes.

I don't know if you experienced that at gigs, that there is a volume level where everything sounds just right, too low (10cc Nottingham) and it lacks something, too loud (Level 42 Birmingham) and your chest vibrates and it's all nonsense. As an artist too, i've played so quietly that I have no feeling at all, and so loud that I feel I'm all alone, but get it right and the blinkin thing plays itself, and folk dance.

btw did you catch the drummer dropping his stick near the end? in the final Gtr fill.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 10:12:34 PM »
Took another listen after your volume recommendation @cowparsleyman Your instrument placement is very clever. It reminds me of something off The Old Grey Whistle test. You have done a magnificent job. Just caught the drum stick as well  :)

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 10:34:48 PM »
Sounds cool to me mate! I love the whole vibe, you’ve got that sexy “Black Velvet” bass line going.😄👍🏻 Most importantly, to me anyway, it FEELS like a driving song and it takes me on a journey with you. In fact, if we could stop soon I’d be grateful, I’m busting for a wee!!🤪😆👍🏻 Great stuff man!

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 06:33:59 AM »
Wow.

Love the energy here.

The song has that real southern USA feel.

Love the vocals, but the guitars are my highlights here.

The song is cool oozes class... We need another series of Breaking Bad, just for the song.

A great listen.

Sandeep

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 07:44:54 AM »
Gents - thanks very much for lending me your ears.

@mickyplankton - Ho Ho I'm no lyricist, as you should know by now, I just write what sounds good, rather than any coherent story telling, I heard too many great songs that that don't make lyrical sense for me to worry too much about that, Dylan etc. were born to write lyrics, I was born to let them fly over me head... I don't know what derivative means in this context, can you explain please Micky. Your'e very kind about my fader fiddling. Thanks man.

@pompeyjazz - Cheers old bean, most kind, the only advice I can give you about this one is to play it LOUD, close your eyes and imagine you're in that gig and perhaps you'll see why the Gtrs are where they are and how loud they are. It seems to all become clearer at higher volumes.

I don't know if you experienced that at gigs, that there is a volume level where everything sounds just right, too low (10cc Nottingham) and it lacks something, too loud (Level 42 Birmingham) and your chest vibrates and it's all nonsense. As an artist too, i've played so quietly that I have no feeling at all, and so loud that I feel I'm all alone, but get it right and the blinkin thing plays itself, and folk dance.

btw did you catch the drummer dropping his stick near the end? in the final Gtr fill.

Hi re derivative I meant that the lyrics were perhaps a little throwaway and  formulaic. But on reflection I think it's a criticism you can ignore. As you say plenty of amazing songs have thrown together lyrics!

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 11:09:12 AM »
Yeah the southern vibe is really well done here. I love the Black Velvet baseline too, just doggedly sticking to it's thing. Nails that feel of motion on the road.

Pedal to the metal... :)

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 09:55:00 PM »
This is very slick indeed.. Beautifully played - loved the keys in particular surprise surprise! Vocals sound cool (including the female vox) - great mood to it all and yes it's definitely a great driving song. Fantastic and professional sounding track..

K

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 10:45:35 PM »
Thanks for those that took the time to listen.

@pompeyjazz - Glad it works for you...Volume does play a big part, when was the last time that a quiet song made you put your pint down and got up to dance? With regards the dropped stick it always seems to happen to me just when I've got a keeper.

@Movin Flavour - most kind, I never thought of that, but I think those two brothers with the shiny Axe, would play it in their car...Glad you liked my own Axe chops.

@mickyplankton - Never get tired of that name, where did it come from?

@tboswell - thanks Man, pedal to the carpet, covered in beer, oil and old gas station receipts.

@MonnoDB - Glad you enjoyed it, I'll let CowParsleyDaughter know you dig her keys, My LVox was a first take, It's happend a few times of late, I knew what I wanted, although I rather felt that after processing the LVox it sounded a little bit like (Hutchence from INXS r.i.p.), so I kept it, even now the track is labelled Guide LVox.

I was very pleased with Pam's Vox, She sent over a few LVox stems, but they just didn't sound as good as the guide vox take, and when I tried them on together with mine, it diluted it and made it too busy, (there is a lot going on in there, even in the quieter passages, I even tried alternating lines in the Verse, but that just sounded like the groove was being broken.

Pam is delightful to work with. Glad the production was OK for you to Karen.

I have to be quite honest here, I have no idea what a Black Velvet Bassline is, @LostBoy - can you fill me in, seems like I've been loiving my life in the Winnebago next to Walter Whites...

I said earlier that I have my own reservations about it, which are that I'm not entirely convinced with the ending, it deserves something better, I just didn't want a fade, I really wanted it to finish abruptly, as if they just stepped off the stage and  continued with their road trip, I might re vist the end and just tidy it up a bit...anyone any ideas?

Also it might work better slightly faster, I noticed it most on the slide Gtr fill (that doesn't really sound like a slide gtr..) I just thought that languishes a tad,  I chose a slowish bpm to mirror the chug of the 'Big V8' doing 55 down the interstate... I didn't want anything too fast.

So I might do another mix, a bit faster, with a tighter ending, and possibly bring up the fills, to mini solo level, swing 'em slightly inward just for you @shadowfax   (but that would be against my don't , as my Great Grandma used to say)...but there again I might not.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 11:25:05 PM by cowparsleyman »

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2019, 11:16:41 AM »
Top marks for getting us into the vibe cpm. loving the groove and the sound of it all....very atmospheric and it works in the way you wanted it to all right.

Plus it all just sounds so bloody nice. Piano touches give the nod to the Little Feat feel nicely.

As I said already somewhere, I'm enjoying the sounds you're coming up with these days and appreciate the time and effort you're putting into your productions....paying off indeed.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer