konalavadome

As We Wait

• 22 Replies

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 03:28:39 PM »
Quite a biting yet controlled vocal performance there Karen, love the crossover between sweetness and the bitterness in the delivery. Brill! :)

Not sure I would describe it as 'upbeat' though, ha!

I do like how you balanced that guitar with the piano, using the guitar more rhythmically, nicely done. That piano really glides along quite effortlessly.

Hooky chorus, as we'd all expect from you. Almost gets anthemic at the end, yet all the time keeping its sublime subtlety. Good stuff missus! :)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 09:29:47 PM »
Thanks all for listening... I'm (very very) pleasantly surprised by the comments tbh ... Hmmm someone round these parts once did tell me that I might not be very good at judging my own songs, or something to that effect   ::) :D...

@MichaelA - thank you kindly.. Yeah, I can be a bit depressing eh :)? Thanks re hooky - wasn't convinced it was! At all...

@redrhodie thanks so much - such lovely comments.. yes this one is a bit of a rollercoaster alright.. Probably shoulda kept the theme to myself (I normally do!).. You are too kind!

@Paulski - thanks so much.. you are v kind.. I do love a bit of 6/8 I have to say - the folkie in me :)

@Jibbek - thank you so much and welcome to the forum !!

@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra - yes it's hard isn't it? You sound like I did when I was swapping the two in and out.. Thank you for taking the time.. I'll play around with it some more I think...

@PaulyX - timeless - what a lovely comment! :) again prob the folkie thing! Thanks so much..

@digger72 - hey! Thanks a mill... Don't think I'd be brave enough for a cappella (although I did once actually... not this song though)..

@Rightly - thanks so much... very kind words!

@adamfarr yes indeed, 'the long goodbye' they call it.. awful disease.. thanks for your comments..

@cowparsleyman - yes indeed... It nearly stayed under that bushel.. I thank you!

@crystalsuzy - thanks so much.. sorry to hear you went though similar with your dad.. it's awful..

@MartynRich thanks a mill - see what you mean about that major chord... It does kinda come out of nowhere... not sure if the minor would be too dreary all the way through but I'll surely have a play around with it.. Thanks for your comments..

Thanks @pompeyjazz ... yeah they're a bit heavy alright! I'll try something lighter for the next one I think :) thanks a mill for the listen and comments...

@PaulAds  thank you so much - sorry for wobbling your lip! Good advice about trusting my ear though - I tend to second guess a lot.. those words will stay with me I think..

@Movin Flavour - sorry for making you sad.. perhaps I shouldn't have shared the context.. I normally don't.. Thank you for your lovely comments...

Note to self - don't leave so long before returning to thread :) That was long. Thank you all for your lovely comments and considerations. Really appreciated...

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2019, 10:50:26 AM »
Really pretty work, lovely listen.

I found myself thinking I wanted more harmonic development, something new to happen. But then realised that the stasis fits perfectly with the theme of the song.
Gives it really thorough feel, makes it work as a whole.

Liked the way the harmonies seems to be searching for a way out of the harmonic trap without quite finding it.

Made me think, made me smile. Super stuff :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2019, 10:03:49 PM »
Yo Karen.

I first listened to this a couple of weeks ago and it immediately sunk it's melancholy hooks deep into my listening apparatus. Shortly after I was dragged off on holiday,so I'm way behind with my listening,this is a lovely welcome back.  :)

The Celtic vibe is a popular thing these days,I hear it's influences in a wide range of music. With your music it isn't an influence Karen,it's the genuine article. The hurting,the yearning,the vulnerability and the final resolve/reassurance are all in sharp relief and beautifully presented.

A little gem,but sure we never expected any less of you.  8)

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2019, 12:47:29 PM »
Karen, what a beautiful song! I'm sure many will relate to it. "As we wait" is such a powerful line. I love it. I especially love the piano, I don't know what chords you used but they were perfect.

Writing songs like this can be such great therapy. I have done so myself (different subject though😊) You must be pleased with it no?

My only thought in terms of suggestion, is regarding the end. The ending is beautifully sung, but I kinda wanted the song to end on that last verse...I just felt that would have been...hmm...maybe not as majestic as what you have now, but more powerful perhaps?? Anyway, just a thought mate. It really is beautiful as it is.😁🎶👊🏻🎶

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2019, 10:23:42 PM »
@LostBoy thanks so much Leo for having a listen and for commenting.. Yes indeed I use songwriting as therapy from time to time.. Not sure I'm ever happy with these kinds of songs to be honest. They scratch an itch and I'm happy to have them done more than anything and publishing is part of that.. I'm always surprised when they're well received when they are this personal.. Perhaps that's why.. Hmmmmm.. Re your suggestion, that's very interesting and indeed a very good idea. I'm not sure I'll revisit though but I shall certainly play around with that (I'd have to rerecord the vocal I think to end it there...). Thank you!

@Skub - you are too kind Davy.. such lovely comments.. Thank you!! I think I couldn't escape the Celtic thing though even if I wanted to singing as I do with my rather strong accent! :) Hope you had a lovely break!

@tboswell - thanks a mill! Yeah, I'd kind of written it off initially as it doesn't really go anywhere melodically and doesn't develop at all but it stubbornly refused to be anything else.. so I went with the flow. Including the harmonies.. Appreciate the listen and the comments..

K

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2019, 05:07:18 PM »
I loved the piano, and the vocals are great too. I think from a songwriting perspective, you've probably got the bullseye. Looking at past comments, I'm not sure many will agree with my next bit, but it's just my opinion: the production of the vocals isn't quite on-point; sometimes a bit loud, sometimes a bit quiet. Rather than compression, I think running the vocal track through Melodyne and changing the amplification of each syllable to make the whole thing consistent would make a big difference.

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 07:35:18 PM »
Beautiful song @MonnoDB (beautiful voice too!). Has a haunting quality to it.

Love the lyrics too.