konalavadome

Struggle to get the sound up front "in your face"

• 4 Replies

t.wretborn

• Busker
  • Hobby musician from Sweden.
« on: April 26, 2019, 10:23:37 AM »
Hello!

I'm new to music production and new to this forum. I just started out in Logic. I posted my first song in the feedback forum which i now understand is used more for feedback on the actual song. Structure, arrangement etc.

I'm happy with the song structure but not with the sound so I move to this part of the forum instead in hope to get some advice on what to think about when working on my next song to get the sound towards what im looking for.

What I think is bad:
The whole track sounds distant, like it is floating in the air behind a curtain. Sorry for that weird description but its the best way i can describe it :P
It is not popping out, its not present, clear and "in your face".

How do you guys do to take your raw unmixed track through the mixing to pop out? Do you have any "go to" procedure when you experience what i tried to describe above?

I have used EQ and compression as far as my knowledge can take me. Boosted some and cut some other to give space. High and low pass on some of the tracks (rhythm guitars, bass, parts of the drums). Left the compression on default on all but the vocals and mastering. I know there is loads more that can and should be done, but i dont know where to start.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The song

https://soundcloud.com/user-652929989/i-could

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 01:31:35 PM »
<Swedish> Hej där! Kul med en landsman här! </Swedish>
Frankly I don't see the problem, to my ears the production sounds bloody good! And a great song at that.

Sure, there could be a little more bottom end, the guitars may be a tad too up front at times, drums could have a little more punch etc but that's really minor stuff and I'm not sure e.g. punchier drums would fit the vibe of the song.

Anyway, if you are so inclined I could give the mix a try. Have a listen at some of my stuff on SC and if you think it would be worthwhile drop me a PM.
Once I'm done we can set up a Skype call and I'll walk you through the mix (speaking the same language will make things sooo much easier :-).
Mind you, I'm not saying I can do better but maybe different :-)

Cheers
/Johan

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 07:18:02 PM »
Hi t.wretborn

I agree with Jambrains, Mix sounds really nice and balanced.

I think what you are asking about just needs a bit more polishing on the final mastering process,

Heres may chain (not saying its the best)
1. Linear EQ
2. Master bus compressor
3. Saturation
4. Multiband compression
5. Final Limiter
6. Loudness checking

Then I normally add a track to my DAW with a Professional track to do my comparisons for bass and brightness.
Oh, and I add a filter on each of the tracks final busses so I can sweep around and compare levels of say, Subs, Low end, Mids, Highs etc.

Then I guess lots of tweaking and comparing. I guess everyone has there own style and final sound too,

Hope this helps.

My way, not the highway...

Great track BTW

Cheers
Andy

t.wretborn

• Busker
  • Hobby musician from Sweden.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 03:06:59 PM »
@Jambrains Tjena Johan and thank you! I did PM you but not sure if it got through. Let me know if it did or not.

Hi t.wretborn

I agree with Jambrains, Mix sounds really nice and balanced.

I think what you are asking about just needs a bit more polishing on the final mastering process,

Heres may chain (not saying its the best)
1. Linear EQ
2. Master bus compressor
3. Saturation
4. Multiband compression
5. Final Limiter
6. Loudness checking

Then I normally add a track to my DAW with a Professional track to do my comparisons for bass and brightness.
Oh, and I add a filter on each of the tracks final busses so I can sweep around and compare levels of say, Subs, Low end, Mids, Highs etc.

Then I guess lots of tweaking and comparing. I guess everyone has there own style and final sound too,

Hope this helps.

My way, not the highway...

Great track BTW

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy!
Great tips, thank you! I dont know what half of it is yet :P but it gives me something to focus on and learn! Exactly what i was after. Cheers!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 06:02:27 PM »
@t.wretborn

Hi and welcome to the forum

I'm new to music production and new to this forum. I just started out in Logic. I posted my first song in the feedback forum which i now understand is used more for feedback on the actual song. Structure, arrangement etc.

The feedback section is for any feedback you want - the more specific you are in your original post the more specific the feedback on what you are looking for

What I think is bad:
The whole track sounds distant, like it is floating in the air behind a curtain. Sorry for that weird description but its the best way i can describe it :P
It is not popping out, its not present, clear and "in your face".

How do you guys do to take your raw unmixed track through the mixing to pop out? Do you have any "go to" procedure when you experience what i tried to describe above?

I have used EQ and compression as far as my knowledge can take me. Boosted some and cut some other to give space. High and low pass on some of the tracks (rhythm guitars, bass, parts of the drums). Left the compression on default on all but the vocals and mastering. I know there is loads more that can and should be done, but i dont know where to start.

I personally think you have a great mix and the thing you are "missing" to get that profession shine and polish is mastering

It is really hard to explain in words without an example so I would be very happy to master this track for you (free of charge) so you can see (and hear) whether it gives you what you think you are missing (I think it will  ;))

If you are interested drop me a PM and we can discuss how to prep it for sending over etc.

Boydie
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic