konalavadome

So who makes money from their music?

• 10 Replies

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« on: April 25, 2019, 10:25:18 PM »
I’m not asking in the interests of finding out if there are any rich gits on here, or even people who can live full time from music. I’m interested in strategies and techniques people have used to market their music relatively successfully, without any gory details. There are so many different ways of doing things out there it would be good to hear some genuine advice that doesn’t involve buying SoundCloud followers. Thanks

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 11:02:14 PM »
I'm still out gigging (for money) once or twice a week...but we don't play any of my own songs these days. I strongly suspect the two are related  :P
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 11:41:42 PM »
I've got a couple of instrumental tracks published which bring in royalties from time to time, and I earn a very small amount from online streaming. I'm currently building up a youtube channel for instrumental music which I'm hoping to monetise, but from actual songs - pretty much nowt (if you're registered with PRS you can claim on live performances of your own songs, works out about a fiver per gig if I remember correctly, haven't done it for a while)

tl;dr the only money worth earning is from 'synch' and getting instrumentals placed is a lot easier than getting songs placed.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 11:31:26 AM »
This thread is dismal. Lol!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 12:34:54 PM »
Apparently I’ve got over 9000 streams on one of my songs this month which will bring in a grand total of €35. The big time awaits.

Andyb

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 02:53:40 PM »
Does $4.27 from Spotify count ?
wow $4.27 from spotify is impressive and I am genuinely not being sarcastic here mate. that would qualify as 4000 streams am I right? Ive made diddly squat from streaming services with my current band or previous bands

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 03:10:33 PM »
Just checked again. It's $7.02 from 466 streams, but there's 5 albums worth of stuff there ! That is via Amuse who distribute your music to most streaming platforms for free so I guess it's not just Spotify  :)

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 01:05:52 AM »
In a year i've made around £5 from streams/downloads (and two of the downloads were by my Mrs ha!)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 01:12:35 AM »
I made $125 last week, and I did do a few of my originals, but it was mainly for covers. And the Flintstones theme song. So I suppose it doesn't really count.  :P

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2019, 03:54:45 PM »
I made $8.88 CAD from Songtradr last year but I'm sure they got the decimal in the wrong place :D