konalavadome

April SOTM?

• 23 Replies

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« on: April 23, 2019, 03:00:06 AM »
I posted this somewhere else, but have had no response  ::) I'm wondering if we should not do an April SOTM because of all the voting that
needs to be done for the Spring Quest. There are a lot of songs to be listened to and I know in the past we've done this. We just add any
eligible April songs to the May SOTM list. Does anybody have any idea's on this?  ???

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 01:37:48 PM »
No strong feelings - I think both would be OK...

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 10:56:17 PM »
When I hosted Sotm last summer there where only about ten voters. So I am with Suzy in that April and May could be combined. There are 16 songs already for Spring Quest voters to listen to. that's a lot, if you do it properly.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 11:25:50 PM »
To be fair, we all know the April SOTM would be the theme to Avengers: Endgame!

Whaddya mean, we wouldn't have been able to vote on that?!! Ah! You're snobbier than the Oscars voters the lot of ya! :D

It's been a year (really?!!! o_O ) since I last did a SOTM so let me know when/if you wanna dump another on me.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 09:41:08 AM »
Oh OK, happy to go with the majority view on this but it strikes me that there have been several absolute crackers in April already that are not part of the Spring Quest... is it fair that they don't get the usual chance against a month's worth of posts?  I suspect most of the regular voters have listened and commented on them already and probably already know which ones they are in love with, so might not have to re-listen and reconsider everything.  I think we've tended to still do SOTM when other comps have been running in the past (at least when I've been around here)? Anyway, still willing to post a shortlist for April if its on, not sure how we decide this stuff though.
It's all too beautiful.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 11:06:14 PM »
I for one, have not listened to all the songs that have been posted other than some of the comp ones, but will get around to it. ::) In the past we have cancelled the SOTM comp when there's another comp running, and just moved the the non-spring comp songs into the next months SOTM, if that make sense. So they're not loosing out, and there is not that many songs posted that aren't entries into the spring quest, so it's not really a regular months worth of songs...I only count about 10 eligible songs, (you have to have at least 100 posts) ;)  I just think it will weaken the number of voters for both comps :)
Personally, I don't want to have to vote for two different comps. so close together. ::) The spring quest will be hard enough to make a choice  ::)
I don't know who makes the final decision   ::)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:18:37 PM by crystalsuzy »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 09:19:34 AM »
I actually think it's good to have both as some April songs may have been swamped by all the Spring Quest entries and won't get the listens they should do.

But I'd leave it up to PaulyX as the host.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 09:21:15 PM »
OK well the people who have commented in this thread so far are 50/50 whether we should have an April SOTM or not.  Not worth forcing it unless there's wider appetite for it, so unless there's a groundswell of opinion now on it let's do as Suzy suggests and have an April/May combo.  I'm away quite a bit in May though and doubt I can do the listening justice - can someone pick up the shortlisting for the May part?  @Sterix above you threw your hat in the ring?  I can send you what would have been my shortlist for April if you want and aren't able to go back over all the April posts, and you can choose to use that as much or as little as you like.
It's all too beautiful.

Sterix

• Platinum Album
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 10:26:23 PM »
@PaulyX I'm willing to do it. Send me your shortlist. I'll probably be able to go through all the candidates anyway but it will give me a head start.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 04:50:15 AM »
I’m cool about it, but it would only be fair to recognise those who spent a lot of time finishing their song at the cost of the quest comp. there were some great songs.

Sterix

• Platinum Album
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 10:29:22 PM »
I'll see if I can come up with something to satisfy both camps... ;)

Sterix

• Platinum Album
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 08:30:48 PM »
@PaulyX You know, putting April and May together may not have been such a good idea! I've just been listening to a few songs from May and already I've got 3 that should be on the shortlist. That's out of only 5 songs I've listened to so far. May itself is gonna be difficult to narrow down, without April muddying the waters!

I think I may have to trust your judgement for April. Narrowing down songs for May alone is gonna be next to impossible. But that's just a credit to the artists on this forum I guess. :D

Sterix

• Platinum Album
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 04:53:37 PM »
It's okay Pompey. It was just a playful vent. I'm up for it.