konalavadome

Green Light - spring quest!

• 17 Replies

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« on: April 22, 2019, 05:55:32 PM »
Phew....just made it:

This is a thing that got shelved cos I didn't know how to approach it...added another B section and extra verse to go out with a bang.
I had it in my head as a kind of Big Band thing...more Bobby Darin than Glenn Miller but it's come out with a more 50s R&B styling but whiter.

I wanted it to be a bit edgy mixwise like Little Richard or something so have gone some way towards trying to get that but may have in fact overcooked it in this version....

It's not exotic or erotic or original or unique.

I got the green light tonight
Right from the top
I'm on the move and I don't ever want to stop
I looked in your eyes
And much to my surprise
I got the green light to go all the way

No holds are barred
Yes you were mine once you had let down your guard
Here in my arms
You showed me all your charms

Nothing can stop us now
We're on the road to paradise
The brakes are off
We're all revved up
I don't need telling twice

BREAK

Don't think you're gonna stop us now
It's a one way trip to paradise
Engine room full steam ahead
There'll be no compromise

The flags are down
We've gone too far to turn this keen machine around
You said "Life's too short for having second thoughts."

Here's an updated version if anybody wants to help me decide whether or not the vocal sits better in this

https://soundcloud.com/cramer1930/green-light-4
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:14:26 PM by Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra »
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 08:09:55 PM »
Not erotic? What´s it about then or did I misread the lyrics?

Lovely big band number - got all the right bits in all the right places as per the subject matter. The horn solo is fab as well - got real feel and placement in the context of the song.

I´m not 100% of how the voice fits in the mix - maybe it could be a little less edgy and more to the front, but that may be a taste thing. All in all it´s a cracking little fun tune though - thumbs up from me.

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 08:11:23 PM »
Hi Viscount

Great tune and this is definitely erotic.

A tune meant for toe tapping.

Love the atmosphere.

Excellent production and I just love that ending.

Great tune

Sandeep

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 10:05:49 PM »
Fabulous stuff Ian. I'm trying not to overload on this competition and review one or two a day. I love the authenticity that you have achieved. I can just see you with one of those big 50s mics and the floor full of big dresses and demob suits. My only minor crit after listening to V2 (Pun not intended) would be to just bring the vocals down 0.01% to appreciate your clever instrumental work

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 10:47:47 PM »
Great toe-tapper this.. Polished big band sound.. Loved it!! Fantastic solo, great keys.. wonderful stuff!

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 09:46:21 AM »
good for you, I'm sure justice was served!!
Life is too short indeed!

Sounds classic. It could be produced in many different ways.
A real gem of a song.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 10:28:42 PM »
Lovely rag-timey big band feel Count and cool vocal delivery. It’s definitely raunchy... retro raunchy... ticks the erotic box I’m sure.  Sounds very authentic too... especially that stuttering sax solo, that’s a gem.
It's all too beautiful.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 02:38:24 PM »
Dear Count,

I was grooving all the way and could hear the references you mentioned but it sounded great.

The groove is spot on and I'm just a sucker for the brass sections. love the way its panned left and right.
Enjoyed the lyrics too.

My only thought was around the mix, maybe up the drums and take your vocals down very slightly.

Lots to like here, going to give it another spin. Indeed it sounds like an rediscovered 45

:)
neil 
songwriter of no repute..

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 02:52:14 PM »
Thoroughly old fashion and sounds just like it. Really enjoyed that big band sound that you've recreated so effectively.
Sound and style are spot on and it really seems like a classic from yesteryear you've dusted off.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 10:31:56 AM »
@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra - This is a bish-bash-boingy-did-me-back-in Wonderful piece of work, I can visualise the club with slightly overweight, out of shape stripper, huffin' and a puffin' finding it rather tricky to keep going for so long, then Vernon comes on the glittery stage with his mic on full , squealing with feedback...  'Thank you ladies and gentlemen, a big round for Sheila, Sheila ladies and gentlemen', with about 6 pairs of hands clapping at the end.

Needless to say this is fantastic, really my cuppa tea, beautifully executed, and wish I did it, so blinkin clever.

Maybe a ride cymbal right from the beginning, adds more cheese, and a couple of female BVocalist during the rather excellent Sax solo., with oohs and aahs straight after.

Thanks Viscount...I'm all out of breath, can you get me another 1/2 of the cheapest Mild and 10 packets KP nuts so I can see the whole picture of the bird...remember that?

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 01:58:47 PM »
very authentic song, could easily be in a modern movie set in the 50's, listened to both and I reckon the vocal is too loud in both..also would benefit from smoothing out with some volume automation...

best, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 07:28:56 PM »
Yo VCC.

What a great swinger,love that solo,sweet stuff.

A very well put together piece which swings my pants for the whole 3.31 duration.

The orchestra is cooking!  8)

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 01:53:44 AM »

Outstanding  ;D ;D  Really like this.  It reminds me a lot of the Bonzo Dog Do Dah Band.  All you need is a Kazoo solo  ;D
 The backing track is classy and sophisticated, but has a lot of 'fun' in it ;D.  Love your vocal here VC .  I can hear it being
 sang through one of those old fashioned megaphones......don't ask ::) ;D

First class song my friend.  Gets my vote.......but maybe not ;D ;D ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2019, 05:56:18 PM »
About that time.....
Martyn  - Thanks. I'm not sure about the vocal either...still.
Sandeep  - Glad your toes are tapping. Thanks for mentioning the ending....took a bit of getting.
PJ  - Cheers man...yes that vocal level...and front or back is foxing me.

Karen - Another toe-tapper! Thanks for the kind words.
Rightly  Cheers,Rightly....don't know your real name....the production took this turn which wasn't how I'd thought of it over the years since I first came up with it.
Pauly - Thanks. Glad it's got a bit of raunch...what I hoped for!
Neil - Glad you mentioned the lyric...maybe not epic but given some thought after all! Drums courtesy of Organic Drum Loops by the way....free and....er...organic.
Tom  - Yes it's old hat but so am I! Glad you enjoyed.
CPM  - Wow...that's a really nice review. Glad it moved you that way! Good old Vern...as we know him. Yes it could be even cheesier! Was that the KP nut girl or the BigD? Was she wearing a cowboy hat and a gunbelt and little else or was that a dream I was having last night....
Kev  - Not your cup of tea then...at least you didn't mention Frank Sinatra this time!
Skub - Too kind as always! Get those pants swinging!
Bin - Thanks old boy! Yes....didn't really intend it to be Bonzo but see your point. Viv Stanshall did appreciate the comic possibilities of Saxophones, trumpets and trombones and just about everything else...oh yes...and slapback echo 'Canyons Of Your Mind') And I also get a big kick and a big laugh out of the crazy sax and all in 'Good Golly Miss Molly' for example. Yeah there is some fun in it.....good!

Thanks all for listening and your kind comments.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 01:18:35 PM »
Hi Viscount,

This made me smile from the off.
Not often I hear/listen to music like this - but how can anyone sit still to it?

I could hear Dave Lee Roth doing a big over the top rock version of this; think his version of That's Life.

Really swings and grooves.

Thought the updated version sounded a great mix.

Digger