konalavadome

A Place At Your Table

• 25 Replies

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 03:04:40 PM »
Reminds me a bit of The Eagles in the late 70s, lovely mix of catchy melody and polished soundtrack. I particularly liked that stripped back mid8 which worked well by way of contrast. Easy to imagine this on the radio.

Clever outro too! Good work again!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 07:41:53 AM »
Hi Alan. I do like this song. It's jaunty and excellently produced. Generally catchy and improves with repeated listens. Im a fan of the chorus but I can't quite reconcile the end of the chorus.  The melody of "in my mind" is odd as you simply repeat the melody of the previous line rather than bring the melody back to a natural circular close. Curious to know why you made that decision. For me it makes the end of the chorus slightly unsatisfying as if you are leaving the melody hanging.
It's a great song regardless. Cheers Micky

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 05:05:16 PM »
Alan, this is really great!! I can see why it's popular. It's catchy and well played. I especially love all the twangy stuff In the middle. That's great ear candy and the cello is really nice too.

Great job mate. You must be chuffed with it?😁🎶👊🏻🎶

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 10:50:13 PM »
Yo Alan.

This has an instant,classic feel. It's immediately familiar,yet not derivative.

I hear the feel of old Lindisfarne tunes,such as 'Meet Me on the Corner'.

Sweetly played and sung,sir. The guitar at 1.22 followed by the mandolin flaps my flag for sure.  :) On point and serving the song.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 11:56:28 AM »
Missed this one before but like it very much, reminds me of later Byrds or Gene Clark. Really tuneful and really enjoyable. Super work :)

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 08:29:01 PM »
I'm a sucker for lyrics that are somewhat complex in their structure. Nice song. Well written.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 02:57:54 PM »
Hello Folks,

Thanks for all the encouraging comments. I really appreciate it.

Excellent production.
A quality I can only hope achieving some day.

The song is top notch too!

Are you what they call a professional? Touring with a band?
The quality is there, the dedication too?

Good stuff!!

@Rightly ,
Thanks for the comments. Not a professional just occasional gigs and regular rehearsals. Touring with a band would be a dream.

Hi Alan,

It all sounds so effortless. You can tell it's a song you're really familiar with.
There's plenty going on, but everything has it's place so clearly defined; really excellent production.

I was getting an Eagles vibe - no particular song, just an overall feel - which I liked, but then it has that violin like sound in the middle which just pulls it away.
Cool arrangement - very well performed.

Digger

@digger72 It probably sounds effortless because I've been singing it on and off for 7 years although not in this form. The Eagles comparison is nice although I tend to lean more on folk and country. Thanks for commenting.

Very nice Alan, thumbs up from me. Geoff
@Furry61 Thanks Geoff.

Great song for Glen Campbell,and that is high praise. I can hear what somebody called an Eagles thing,it could be more melancholy,weirdly it could sound how Miley Cyrus `shadows` Dolly Parton`s `Jolie` on her latest single `Nothing Breaks Like A Heart` with Mark Ronson, this could be shaped in a Glen Campbell/Jimmy Webb vibe.  It`s just not miserable enough--maybe the place at the table is for someone deceased or they`re a couple in the divorce still living together--just.
At about 1 minute 20 it gets less sure,it`s one of those songs that away from the great melody has a big challenge matching the melody. The chorus is good but I think the verse melody is better.

@devilhoned Thanks for the detailed comments. I'm liking the Glen Cambell/Jimmy Webb thing - bring it on!

Hi Alan,

This is a beautiful ballad.

Everything about it is so professional, love the organs, guitars an those violins around 2.15.

Sung so well, clever lyrics.

... have I said its beautiful already... top song

Sandeep

@Movin Flavour Thank you so much Sandeep - you're a gent.

@montydog - Very nice indeed, love the Cello, would be a song to put some catch BVox in surprising points in the Verses.

@3:15 - beautifully done - a separate song could be built from this riff alone....

Rich

@cowparsleyman Thanks Rich. Backing vocal harmony is in there but it could be higher in the mix!

Nice work Alan - great song!
Your vocals are smooth as ever and I like the lift in the chorus.
I did find it started off a bit busy but got used to a lot going on by the end.  :D

Good to hear you in top form.
Paul

@Paulski Great comments and it means a lot coming from the forum's Canadian Bard.

I really like this song Alan, one of your best by far. The whole arrangement is great, albeit the song gives it a superb base. The short instrumental break is just excellent. I love the lyrics as well, they´re properly reflective and send a strong message to whomever the song is about. The take down with the strange rhythmic string playing is genius. Well done mate.

@MartynRich The strange rhythm instrument is actually a bouzouki which is a Greek guitar-like instrument. Thank you for your kind words about the songwriting.

Smooth.... love the chorus.. beautifully done and sung of course.. Is that a mandolin? It's gorgeous! Strings work really well too..  It's really beautifully played and produced.. That "place at your table" melody is just soooooo good.. This is the sort of thing I just love to listen to in trad / folk sessions. A really great song @montydog really well delivered..

K

@MonnoDB It's actually a mandolin on the break but there is a bouzouki playing away in there as well. Thank you for your comments - blew me away.

This is great - lovely warm optimistic rootsy feel. The banjo is irresistible and the guitar line around 1:30 likewise. Super production, I’m not surprise it always goes down well live too.

@PaulyX Rootsy - that's what I'm aiming for. I'm going to put that in my song descriptions on Sound cloud - thanks.

So smooth mate.. :) didn't know you had a band? every time I revisit an old song it seems to get worse ::)

Song, instrumentation and production are excellent, something we are coming to expect from you now sir :) 8)

best, Kevin :)

@shadowfax  I don't have a band, I'm the dobro player and co-vocalist, guitarist in one. We're a collective democracy......comrade!

Very nice...sounds like you're right on top of your game. You've done a great job of recreating a band sound here. Everything slots into place perfectly. Lyrics and vocals on the money once again.

I love the idea of revisiting older songs and knocking them into shape...I doubt I'll ever find the time, though. This makes it sound like it's definitely worthwhile...though I really can't imagine you not getting them right the first time!

@PaulAds I've re-written and re-recorded a lot of my oldest songs with the knowledge partly learned on here. Without this forum, I'd still be stumbling around in the dark.

There is a great lift in your vocals monty which is great to hear, your mates (band) and playing live is doing you great and strange but i'm actually starting to like listening to you again   ;) 

Really enjoy listening man   8)

@Dogmax Thanks for the comments. Why did you stop listening?

Hi Alan. You are a master at this sort of song and it shows that you are very familiar with it. It's like slipping on a comfy jumper or maybe a gilet after a cold night. You seem to make this sound so effortless which is to be applauded. Some excellent playing and arrangement together with your silky vocals. Top job  :)

@pompeyjazz Thanks for the kind words. Take care.

Reminds me a bit of The Eagles in the late 70s, lovely mix of catchy melody and polished soundtrack. I particularly liked that stripped back mid8 which worked well by way of contrast. Easy to imagine this on the radio.

Clever outro too! Good work again!

@MichaelA Funny you should say that; this was played on my local radio station last Friday which was a real buzz. Thanks for the Eagles comparision.

I'm a sucker for lyrics that are somewhat complex in their structure. Nice song. Well written.

@Sterix Thanks for the kind words.

Missed this one before but like it very much, reminds me of later Byrds or Gene Clark. Really tuneful and really enjoyable. Super work :)
@tboswell I'll take those comparisons all day long. Thank you.

Yo Alan.

This has an instant,classic feel. It's immediately familiar,yet not derivative.

I hear the feel of old Lindisfarne tunes,such as 'Meet Me on the Corner'.

Sweetly played and sung,sir. The guitar at 1.22 followed by the mandolin flaps my flag for sure.  :) On point and serving the song.

@Skub Thank you Davy - your approval means a lot.

Alan, this is really great!! I can see why it's popular. It's catchy and well played. I especially love all the twangy stuff In the middle. That's great ear candy and the cello is really nice too.

Great job mate. You must be chuffed with it?😁🎶👊🏻🎶

@LostBoy Yep, I'm pretty happy with it finally coming out as I first imagined it in my head.

Hi Alan. I do like this song. It's jaunty and excellently produced. Generally catchy and improves with repeated listens. Im a fan of the chorus but I can't quite reconcile the end of the chorus.  The melody of "in my mind" is odd as you simply repeat the melody of the previous line rather than bring the melody back to a natural circular close. Curious to know why you made that decision. For me it makes the end of the chorus slightly unsatisfying as if you are leaving the melody hanging.
It's a great song regardless. Cheers Micky

@mickyplankton No one else has found the melody construction to be a problem so that's a bit weird but glad you liked the song anyway.

Thanks again to everyone.

Love & peace

M

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2019, 08:06:52 PM »
Sorry I'm late to the party  :-(
Some really nice guitars and that mandolin(?) solo was great but the star of the show is the chorus!
Well, the vocals are great but I'm so used to that by now I just take it for granted :-)
A real earworm, lots of stuff going on but everything clearly audible so the mix is great as well.
I have a feeling you have stepped up your game a notch or two lately (from a standard that was already high)
Well done!

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2019, 10:21:30 PM »
Hi Alan,

great chorus and nice production. Best part for me was the middle 8.

Keith

Sunduta

• Busker
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2019, 12:47:56 PM »
Hello Alan, what a lovely song. Rich composition works perfect and makes calm cello part even more special. There is a lot of positive energy and warm feelings, well done :)

Girlinside

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2019, 09:57:18 AM »
This is great and so clear
I don’t know anything about production but this is superb in my view .
Makes me want to put my cowboy hat and do some line dancing