The Apparently Pointless Search for Original Song Titles

• 11 Replies

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« on: April 19, 2019, 01:09:26 PM »
Some of you might have seen my comment about my Yamanote Line song on the other board.
This got me thinking about how much uniqueness should be a consideration in songwriting.  Should we bother about it?
Normally when I come up with a song title, I google it to see if someone has already written a song called that before, because I tend to want to come up with brand new stuff (failed to do that check with the train song... dang).
But here are 3 examples of some recent songs I was about to write but didn't because someone already had the title.  Pretty obscure stuff but none the less they had all been claimed:

- Edward the Confessor (several people have written that one...)
- The Vorticists (turns out its a Manic Street Preachers instrumental... although at least I managed to squeeze the words into the recent colab with Neil C)
- Metaphysical Girl

I'm finding now that there are just sooooo many songs out there, I end up ditching loads before I even get started.  Does anyone else do that, and does it matter?
It's all too beautiful.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 01:19:27 PM »
I really don’t think it matters at all. I can think of at least three hits called “The Power Of Love”, and they were all within a relatively short space of time of each other. One of my songs also has the same title but I never bothered googling it before and quite frankly, who cares? It may even help if the other song is successful.

Maybe if you call the song “Smells Like Teen Spirit” you may get some looks but I don’t think it’s illegal to do it.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 02:46:29 PM »
good topic.

I'd say it really doesn't matter.

For me songwriting is something I've done since I could.
I write more songs than go to parties.
Should I consider not going to parties because a lot of people have already done that?
I'm by no stretch a dancer, but if the mood takes me I'm in there. (come to think of it I'm a terrible dancer)

Well I just think being original is often quite overrated.
I'm more of a Try to tell it as it is sort of artist
if it's necessary, do it, if it's fun, enjoy it.

Striving for the unique, strikes me, personally, as a non-contender. It's of little, or of no value.

It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 04:20:55 PM »
@Rightly : Sorry...I have to stray a bit from the topic, because I feel compelled to respond to your remark:

...I'm by no stretch a dancer, but if the mood takes me I'm in there. (come to think of it I'm a terrible dancer)

Of course, I can't speak to your ability to dance with someone, but watching you play and sing--I have to believe you would be an awesome solo dancer! I absolutely love watching you play.

Vicki

PS: Oh, and to make this a bit on topic...I agree with everyone who says it doesn't matter. Song titles can't be copyrighted, and lots of them have been used multiple times. It's always cool, though, if one manages to come up with something apparently original.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 05:16:26 PM by CaliaMoko »

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 04:30:33 PM »
I've become quite insular as a songwriter. I'm so adrift of modern music and believe that releases me to write whatever I like without any consideration for previous song titles. So many ingredients go in to writing a song. Why should I care about not being totally original with titles? I don't wish to write an unusual or obscure song title that chances are, few people will connect with. Very little, if anything is original. Make it your goal to write memorable lyrics and strong, beautiful melodies.

Paul

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 09:17:42 AM »
It does not matter at all....at all, at all.. :) :) 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 10:47:05 AM »
I think that the title has to be what it has to be. The song usually tells you. I do do this sometimes with what I think are killer lyrics - just to check I’m being as original as I think I am...

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 12:53:32 PM »
Hmm song titles...this is a bone of contention for me, when I create say a dance track on the hoof as it were I need a working title, and I really don't care at all what that is, only when it's finished do i try and give it a title that fits, and then it's a supremely personal thing, a bass player I used to know struggled with song titles, for instrumentals, and he came up with some of the most ridiculous titles I ever heard, but when there is no story, no lyrics, why not call a Song 'Donkey Wangers' or 'Puffin Collection'

He later went on to join Genesis (only kidding)

Rich

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 03:16:32 PM »
@PaulyX

I think you are generally OK with using existing song titles but I think there are some iconic ones that should be avoided - Yesterday, Purple Rain, Layla etc. - unless you are going for a specific nod to the original
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 08:17:55 AM »
Steve Winwood --  song -- "Valery" 
The Monkees  --  song  --   "Valerie." 
And there is a song from the nineties that I just listened to at Karaoke called "Valery." 

It just plain doesn't matter -- except as noted by Boydie when your song will suffer from creating an expectation of someone else's iconic song.  The absolute LAST THING you want when you play a song for people is the audience being disappointed that it wasn't what they were hoping. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 10:06:18 AM »
Thanks for the wise words guys. You've helped me 'get over it' and I'm currently working on a track where (shock!) someone has used the title before. I guess on reflection, as some of you have said, it's only an issue when the song title is so unusual or specific that re-using it is going to create an expectation in the listener that it's either a cover version or some kind of parody/ironic nod. I won't be writing 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' for that reason, but yeah most topics are fair game aren't they. Thanks.
It's all too beautiful.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 10:48:00 AM »
Or even "Trouble Over Bridgewater"

Half Man Half Biscuit had some great song titles...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter