Glass or 2 (Spring Quest comp)

• 9 Replies

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« on: April 12, 2019, 01:03:31 PM »
Here is my individual shenanigan to enter the comp. It´s exotic because the vocalist is Spanish, so there. A poppy song about relationships with extremely dark and discordant bits flying around the middle (as there should be).

https://soundcloud.com/martynrich/glass-or-2

Glass or 2

Getting closer everyday
But the strands are blown away
Like the memories of faith

In the sunset I can find
A dream weaved in the sand
And a lover´s warm embrace

Gonna raise a glass or two
When this is all over
Gonna raise a glass or two to you

How do you work this maze
Answers in my face
Sometimes it gets away

And if I´m thinking what I feel
It´s just to make it real
Like a fantasy come true

Gonna raise a glass or two
When this is all over
Gonna raise a glass or two to you

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 02:47:41 PM »
A really catchy little number this is Martyn. I like the light and shade that you use, clever when the drums kick in. Superb vocals really add to the ambience. I like it that you can switch genres and try something different each time. This one will be a strong contender for sure  :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 09:09:21 PM »
Yo Martyn.

'Low-ver' did it for me!  :D

Yes,I am cheap and shallow.

A perky little pop choon which ticks all my boxes.

Low-ve it.  8)

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 09:20:30 PM »
A lot to like in this one. Starts off sounding like a 1960s Doors or Quo type number - the guitar playing is great but man that effect you applied really does it for me - and then turns into a 90s Euro club number by the second verse. In theory that shouldn't really work - in fact it should be a screaming, screeching car crash IMHO - but somehow you've not only managed to pull it off but to do so with the perfect blend. I'm away now for another listen to it!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 07:27:59 AM »
Lovely stuff indeed.

Quality shines though.

I really like the intro and then how the fuller arrangement creeps in and shows admirable restraint in not going full euro pop style...just sticking to it's understated origins.

Vocal is lovely too...a brilliant entry!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 04:53:40 PM »
Hi Martyn,

This is is a good tune. I like the way it builds up so well.

I also like the arrangement towards the end of the song. The guitars punctuate the song at all the right times.

The Spanish singing does make the song exotic and she sings so well.

A great listen.

Sandeep

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 08:27:06 PM »
Really lovely treatment, the opening bars transported me to a special kind of 60s folk/psychedelic vibe like Andwellas Dream or Gandalf.  Then as others have said the synths / guitar patches after the first verse do something quite unique with it... but you keep it subtle and do go too 'massive'... it's very measured in approach.  The vocalist has a strong voice too.  Nice one.
It's all too beautiful.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 10:29:10 PM »
I have to agree with whats already been said, fabulous production on this lovely little poppy number  :) Very catchy melody and I don't know who's singing this, but she has a great voice and I love that Spanish accent :-* Love the delicate guitar throughout the first half and how delicately you build the song to just the right level. Gonna be a hard one to beat :o Well done Martyn  :)

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 03:03:38 PM »
@pompeyjazz - thank you sir. Changing genres keeps me fresh.
@Skub - I know you´re cheap and shallow. So am I. That also keeps me fresh.
@Sing4me88 - yes, I was worried about the car crash scenario, but this arrangement is the best of a huge number of versions. I don´t know why it works but it does.
@PaulAds - thank you for your very kind words as always.
@Movin Flavour - cheers Sandeep. When will we hear a new one from you?
@PaulyX - thank you for listening. I like transporting, so one objective achieved.
@crystalsuzy - the singer is my long-suffering wife. Thank you for your kind comments.

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 06:30:33 PM »
Somehow I found this languishing at the bottom of page 2 so this will bump it to get the reviews it merits.

It's interesting in its contrasts and once it has kicked in it just keeps getting bigger and bigger but as all have said never massive....but catchier and catchier and becomes a song that you wouldn't have expected from the first section....a really nice, catchy pop song.

Also love the vocals and their exotic pronunciation!

Love that interlude about 3 minutes in and the way it builds in an intriguing way into the final chorus burst....very nice.

Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer