We Pump It Out - You Drink It In

• 20 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: April 15, 2019, 02:48:44 PM »
Here's a cheery little pop song about one of my pet hates, the media and their manipulation of the masses. Hope you enjoy  :)

We can send you useless information
Transmitted to your HD device
Talent shows where talent isn't present
Or Ken and Barbie dancing on ice

We pump it out – You drink it in
Then next day – Well, we'll do it all again

Celebrities who peddle on the masses
With inspiration just to be like them
Barbiturates made for the social classes
By a higher ranking class of  smarmy men

Take your medicine sleepy head
It's the truth you know
Hypnotised by media
Planted seeds will grow

(c) Bradley - 2019

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 02:56:16 PM »
Fab Manchester rock stuff thingy. Starts like Oasis, then goes VERY late sixties, eclectic mix of guitars and in all fairness, this is a buskers song - it has the quality to earn me enough on the street for a 3-course meal at the Hilton. All very well thought out John...a corker.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 03:44:48 PM »
I can imagine Elvis Costello singing this. I'm not sure about the Oasis sounding lead guitar links but that's me. An enjoyable listen.

Keith

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 10:10:54 PM »
That intro is magnificent! :) Very clever lyrics, and an easily singable chorus! Nice work @pompeyjazz :)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 03:49:13 PM »
Great talent for writing about...well, anything, and doing it so well, particularly liked the slow bit towards the end..good work mate,

talking about the media...
since I moved back to the UK from the Czech Republic the bias in the media (particularly the BBC) is staggering, no longer can that organization be trusted to be impartial.
if I want proper impartial news I watch the news from the Czech Republic..they are not gagged by political correctness..they report on Europe..the world and the UK without the PC enforced omissions...

best, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 09:45:34 PM »
Nice uplifting track John... I miss the 90s and that lead guitar line took me straight to memories of Shed 7 / Cast etc... my kind of thing.  What a superb middle 8 by the way... suddenly really soothing in the middle of the more edgy verses. Britpop-tastic.
It's all too beautiful.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 03:09:20 PM »
good song Pompey. A hate from the heart.
Very perceptive.

I never could get with the oasis thing though, I think you should make a determined effort to step over that. lol.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 04:57:57 PM »
Love the lyrics, shades of @PaulAds in those biting lines (ken and barbie dancing on ice, love it!).

Thought the sound was a little muddy throughout and could be cleaned up. The little string breakdown is a great touch tho.

In a minute I'm gonna get up and switch off the telly....in a minute...or two ;)

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 05:20:35 PM »
Good little track this. As you have commented yourself, the intro riff needs to be changed. Just enough to know instantly remind everyone of Oasis. Like @PaulyX, i was also reminded of Shed 7.

All the comparisons aside though, this has a memorable melody in the chorus. Always good to be catchy.
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 01:05:35 PM »
Hi,

I like this. I'm totally with you on the song message and there are some great lines and a catchy hook on the chorus. I like the way you write about the current issues in society and avoid the usual song subjects. The musical setting is absolutely lovely with great detail and interest. Everything here is top notch and I enjoyed it immensely. Can't see any way to improve it - don't stop what you're doing.

M

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 07:02:44 PM »
Catchy, poppy and clever.. love ‘pump it out / drink it in’ - great line.. as always I’m super impressed how you manage to ‘pump out’ (sorry!) such quality original material at your pace. Another cracker...

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 09:43:28 PM »
Love the intro and chord structure, the third chord caught me off guard and works wonderfully.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 12:04:39 PM »
'Talent shows where talent isn't present' - very pithy! :) Another social commentary slice of modern life from you!

Nice riffing here and pretty damn good harmonies - and I really liked that acoustic quieter interlude which contrasted so well with the rest and led into your big multi layered ending. Cool stuff!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 06:55:46 PM »
Hi John

I'm getting the Oasis feel too....which is a good thing!

Great lyrics.. I hate reality TV too, clever talent show comment.

Excellent guitars.

Love the sound , top tune

Sandeep