konalavadome

Live at Jaz Bar, Hull 14/04/19

• 7 Replies

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« on: April 15, 2019, 12:32:09 PM »
Here's an acoustic set that I played yesterday here in Hull. I was more nervous than  I usually am, not sure why exactly though. I'm not expecting you to sit and watch the whole set but if you do have some time to have a skim through and offer me any pointers i'd be really grateful :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 01:14:49 PM »
Hello KevM

Just grabbed a quick listen...i think song 2 was my favourite.

Take whatever I say with a pinch of sodium chloride...

I think I'd try to slow down the delivery of the vocals...itd make it a lot easier to hear the story behind the song and also make it easier to pitch the notes better...making the notes longer gives you time to slide up or down if you're slightly out initially.

Also. maybe the odd spoken introduction giving a bit of background would help taking the audience along with you during the song?

Just a thought, anyway...keep at it...you're doing fine and improving as you go.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 02:51:21 PM »
Hi Kev, I always enjoy your live performances and watching how you have grown. You're definitely more confident in your delivery and have some smashing songs. Like Paul suggests, I would think about slowing it down a bit and using that to relax into it as you did look a bit nervous. Good on you for getting up there and doing it though - Keep it up  :)

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 07:38:08 AM »
@PaulAds Cheers mate, I did miss a trick not talking/introducing my songs. Great advice about slowing down my vocal delivery i'll do that tonight. Thank you for having a watch.
@pompeyjazz Thanks so much very encouraging!

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 01:00:45 PM »
@RealKevM You're looking better on stage for every video you're posting on here. I agree with Pompey and Paul, about slowing down a little. Take your time to interact with the crowd, that can take some weight off your shoulders and make you less nervous as well. Introduce your songs, and if they have a good story behind them you can tell it.
Anyways, nice job, and you're new song "Believe" sounded smashing live! :)

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 07:37:49 AM »
@Younger Hills Cheers man! I played a set last night (didn't record it though) and took the advice here and slowed things down a little, talked a bit between songs introducing them and that. Simple obvious things that the nudge from you guys got me to think of doing. Thanks !

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 03:52:16 PM »
I listened to the full gig and my only additional suggestion is to look at moving the capo around the neck. The guitar sound was very similar throughout the performance. Changing the position of the capo, or even playing in the open position, would mean transposing the chords so you're playing in the same key as your vocal.

It might be my ears but I'd have liked a little more low end in the guitar for some of the songs.

Feel free to ignore me if you disagree,

Keith

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 07:28:27 AM »
Cheers @diademgrove really kind of you to watch the whole thing. It does sound a bit tinny to me too, I forgot to check the bass/treble and middle! I've found capo on 5 best suits my voice (generally) but i'll have a play about. Thanks for the feedback mate.