konalavadome

Advice on fixing audio file

• 3 Replies

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« on: April 11, 2019, 12:49:05 PM »
Yo

I discovered a song I worked on years ago with my wife and am trying to fix her vocal track. Re-recording it isn’t an option.

The track itself wasn’t recorded that badly, but it slightly overloads in one or two places and is sounding a bit tinny and sharp. I’ve been playing around with various plugins but can’t seem to get a good result. Any advice anyone?

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 09:01:12 PM »
Hi Martyn

There are a few options

Slight clipping can be dealt with in a number of ways, but you probably can't remove the distortion, so you can try and mask it by adding more vocals at the same time, making another vocal line the primary one, you could add some grit it using a mic preamp plugin something like the Waves Scheps 73, or even a light use of a distortion pedal plugin, or reamping, or simply pushing the track up so all of it clips (but this will sound awful - but George Harrison used this)

Tinny can be dealt with by EQ'ing, remove som of the Hi might be enough.

Sharp can be fixed to a degree using Celemony Melodyne, but it won't do miracles, and you need to watch your buffer settings if you want to avoid distortion of the processed notes. Minor movements can be completely fixed.

Trust your ears, and alot depends on what other instruments/vocals are present in the song, and how many concurrent elements are playing.

Hope this helps

Rich

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 09:35:51 PM »
Yes it helps a lot although I’d already done a lot of work on it. My finished track with the fixed as much as possible vocal is Glass or 2 in the finished songs section.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 09:25:30 AM »
Hi Martyn

I'll take a listen when I'm able.

Rich