I Could

• 13 Replies

t.wretborn

• Busker
  • Hobby musician from Sweden.
« on: April 09, 2019, 01:29:29 PM »
Hey!

New to music recording. Decided to invest in some gear and give it a go. Lots of fun. But I’m too shy to play it for friends for feedback so I figured this was a good place to do it.

Quickly written song to have something to work with.

What’s good, what’s bad? Happy for any type of feedback but extra happy for feedback regarding the sound and recording :)

Lyrics:

I look at you when I come running down
Oh I can feel I’m getting close
moving slower
About to find myself lost in this town
Show me a way to get you close
to win you over

Running out of time to set your heart on fire
I know that I could
Will you still be here when I return
I just wanna split the world
I would if I could

Hey look at me here I come running down
Can’t you see I’ve set my mind
moving slower
Before I rush right in head far behind
Show me a way to get you close
to win you over

https://soundcloud.com/user-652929989/i-could

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 04:55:46 PM »
Yo T.

There is an obvious Cris Rea/Knopfler vibe on this,not just the sweet guitar playing,but the actual song itself.

Overall this is right up my street,warm and melodic with guitars!  :)

Soundwise,you are on the ball too,to my tired old ears anyway. Good balance,clarity and a full bass sound.

Thanks for sharing,I do hope you stick around and get involved in the community here,it's a great place for feedback and encouragement. You get out what you put in.

t.wretborn

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 06:46:50 PM »
Yo T.

There is an obvious Cris Rea/Knopfler vibe on this,not just the sweet guitar playing,but the actual song itself.

Overall this is right up my street,warm and melodic with guitars!  :)

Soundwise,you are on the ball too,to my tired old ears anyway. Good balance,clarity and a full bass sound.

Thanks for sharing,I do hope you stick around and get involved in the community here,it's a great place for feedback and encouragement. You get out what you put in.

Cheers! Thank you!
I feel that one big challange is to get a full and present sound. There are so many things to learn that its overwhelming.

I will definitely stick around. Been reading some of the posts and it is very inspiring :)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 07:31:47 PM »
Perfectly good song my friend..I'd remove the click at around 53 seconds (when you say could)  just volume automation..
that's just me and my attention to detail...which can be a pain in the arse..bit like me really ;D ;D

good work mate! :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 09:19:26 PM »
Hi T and welcome to the forum. As Skub has already said, you'll get a lot out of it if you participate. Great first submission, I liked the clean strat sound and the bass was well balanced. Your vocals are good and suit the style. I got a Knoffler / Rea vibe as well. As you say this is your first recording I'm very impressed. It's a huge lot of fun, big learning curve I agree but ultimately very rewarding. Know what you mean about not playing it to your friends  ;D At least on here you'll get some honest feedback. Would be interested to know what your recording setup / DAW is and how you've found it. What has been relatively easy ? What has been frigging difficult? Anyway,  welcome. All the best, John

Fadow

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 09:52:52 PM »
This is really great! I also get a Mark Knopfler vibe from the guitar and voice, really cool lyrics. Sound and recording sounds good to me, but I am myself still inexperienced with producing music.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 09:56:27 PM by Fadow »

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 10:44:50 PM »
Big welcome.  Great track to introduce yourself with.  I really like the rhythm of the guitar picking in the background (sounds like a banjo), and the delicate keyboards, and the solos, and the tone of your voice, which is very good.  So loads to like.  If you want constructive feedback to polish it, to me it feels a bit bass-light / thin production wise in present format, and lyrics-wise it was fine but none of the images really struck me as new, you know?  But I still loved the track... particularly the way it kept evolving, carried along by those solos, right through to the last section.  Looking forward to hearing more of your stuff.  Pauly
It's all too beautiful.

t.wretborn

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 11:27:55 AM »
Perfectly good song my friend..I'd remove the click at around 53 seconds (when you say could)  just volume automation..
that's just me and my attention to detail...which can be a pain in the arse..bit like me really ;D ;D

good work mate! :)

Thanks! haha that is true. Once you've heard it once you can't ignore it again.

Hi T and welcome to the forum. As Skub has already said, you'll get a lot out of it if you participate. Great first submission, I liked the clean strat sound and the bass was well balanced. Your vocals are good and suit the style. I got a Knoffler / Rea vibe as well. As you say this is your first recording I'm very impressed. It's a huge lot of fun, big learning curve I agree but ultimately very rewarding. Know what you mean about not playing it to your friends  ;D At least on here you'll get some honest feedback. Would be interested to know what your recording setup / DAW is and how you've found it. What has been relatively easy ? What has been frigging difficult? Anyway,  welcome. All the best, John

Thank you!! It is actually my third recording but the first one done in Logic. Had an old macbook with garageband anno 2007 but quickly realized that it was very limiting so I invested in a new one. Have Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and a mic I bought for around £10, a very cheap midi key and my fender strat that I've had for many years.
I guess the easy part was the writing and playing bit. A challenge to put enough guitars in but not over do it. Biggest struggle is the mixing and mastering. I get overwhelmed with all the bussing and sending and the tonnes of plugins that are suddenly available to me. Not knowing what they all can do and how to use them is stressing me out. Next recording will probably be just a guitar and vocals to calm down a little before trying something bigger :P Thanks for the feedback!

This is really great! I also get a Mark Knopfler vibe from the guitar and voice, really cool lyrics. Sound and recording sounds good to me, but I am myself still inexperienced with producing music.

Thank you =)

Big welcome.  Great track to introduce yourself with.  I really like the rhythm of the guitar picking in the background (sounds like a banjo), and the delicate keyboards, and the solos, and the tone of your voice, which is very good.  So loads to like.  If you want constructive feedback to polish it, to me it feels a bit bass-light / thin production wise in present format, and lyrics-wise it was fine but none of the images really struck me as new, you know?  But I still loved the track... particularly the way it kept evolving, carried along by those solos, right through to the last section.  Looking forward to hearing more of your stuff.  Pauly

Yes! That is what I feel too. I think it is a little flat in the sound, it isn't popping out the way I wish. Im afraid there is a little too much reverb on some of the tracks. I didn't dive in so much in the reverb and delay settings cos I was afraid of just messing things up. I hope that by time I will learn what I need to change when the sound is not how I want it to be. Thanks for the feedback :)

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 01:09:33 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum. As others have said, get involved with others and you´ll find this a great place to be.

There are some great tones to the guitar sounds on this song. The Rea/Knopfler influence has been mentioned, but there seems to be plenty of Country music influence as well. I think the vox could be a little higher in the mix with a bit more depth to them...maybe it´s an EQ thing, but the performance is good. The song structure is also good and works well - it´s enjoyable to listen to. Hell of a vibrato on the guitar at 2:45 :)

Keep em coming and throw yourself into some reviews. You´ll enjoy it here.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 01:41:22 PM »
This is a really nice song. 
There's a lot going for it.
How can you be holding it back from your friends? 

Well done.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 12:35:33 PM »
Hi T,

Great tune, excellent guitars...and you can sing.

....your friends and family would love it too.

Well done

Sandeep

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 07:15:06 PM »
Hi @t.wretborn this is lovely - very accomplished for someone starting out on production if I may say so. Great vocals and playing. Song is strong. A very good post! Welcome to the forum!

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 09:46:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum dude and decent first song

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 02:07:50 PM »
Welcome, and really enjoyed this one - there are a couple of chord changes which really elevated this for me - on the "over" and "dream" - just really satisfying.

Your relaxed vocal delivery really works here. Very well arranged and mixed too.

Looking forward to more from you - some metal maybe?!