Secrets (Spring Quest entry with Paulski)

• 21 Replies

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 05:53:57 PM »
Hey @Skub .. caught this on SC a couple days ago.. it’s a great and impactful song (lovely keys @Paulski !!). Heartbreaking subject matter  sensitively handled. The whispering is very effective particularly with the guitar following it. Great vocals - really get the emotion across. 

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 07:49:53 AM »
Just great,Davy.

Super sensitivity in the lyrics and playing too. The whispered bit works brilliantly to unsettle the listener slightly and give pause for thought...a stroke of genius.

Ultimately uplifting too...fantastic to hear the music showing that tragedy needn't be a life sentence.

A treat.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 12:33:06 PM »
This is classy work right from the piano intro off.
Excellent performances all round.
Thoughtful arrangement with a kind of classic verse....then it sets out on its own path with that middle bit...(Knopfler guitar!) Then the cool long outro with that bass and some killer guitar. Really nice.

When I first listened it hit me again...as it does with increasing frequency these days...that there is some good stuff here on this forum and I am quite humbled and mindful of my own position in the forum charts....not Champions League!

Anybody else reading this don't be miffed that I didn't make this observation during a comment on your song.....I think you are all very talented! It just came to the fore as I was listening to this one!

Again, classy stuff Davy...and you too Paul...great playing!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 02:59:58 PM »
Skub,

Hi great intro and piano from Paul, great vocals here for this sensitive subject.
Really liked the first section, Thoughts - perhaps you could have repeated the first section fully before the solo, its not like its over long tune?
Great solo as ever.
Lots to like here

:)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2019, 03:09:49 PM »
Lovely warm vibe to the track that really worked from the off.

And then that breakdown! Gorgeous stuff there and shades of Dire Straits about it for me.
The transitions to the solo seemed a little confused to me, but once we got there it was triumphant.
All in all felt shorter than it was cos so much good stuff was going on :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2019, 12:39:27 AM »
A very moving piece in every way @Skub  :( The lyrics really convey a very sad situation, with sensitivity. :( Your vocal delivery does the same.
The music takes us through many different emotions and the piano adds to this journey, delicately  :) The whispered part really brings the subject
matter home :'( A very powerful song  :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 12:15:15 PM by crystalsuzy »

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2019, 04:11:07 PM »
@MartynRich

Ha! thanks Martyn. You are correct in a lot of ways,my roots are steeped in early rock,way before anyone labelled it 'prog'!  :D

@MonnoDB

Hey Karen,I'm glad the song connected with you.  :)

@PaulAds

Yo Paul. I did agonise about the finale part of the song and had my doubts about context. I like how you saw it as a triumph and part of moving on. I'll take that spade and bury my doubts. Thanks Paul.  8)

@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

Aw,blown away by your kindness Ian. Paul's piano made the track for me.  :)

@Neil C

Hi Neil,glad you liked it man. I'm kind of on a quest these days to keep my songs as short as possible. Maybe it's a good thing,maybe not,but it's where I'm at currently.
Probably I'll be doing 15 minute songs next!  :D

@tboswell

Thanks Tom,you may well be right about the transitions,But I'm taking PaulAds theory and singing 'la,la,la...  ;D

@crystalsuzy

Thanks so much,Suze.  :)