'Let's Get A Tattoo!' (Spring Quest Entry)

• 19 Replies

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« on: April 01, 2019, 01:26:23 PM »
Hello maties, well here is my entry for the Spring quest competition. It is kind of 'exotic' as it is set in the famous Spanish resort of Benidorm. Well sophisticated types on here may argue that Benidorm is not particularly exotic, but believe me, when growing up in a Northern UK Mill Town me and my mates considered it a VERY exotic place and we used to thumb Holiday In The Sun brochures for hours, wondering which high-rise hotel we would visit, if only we could ever save up enough from our Saturday job wages... which we never did!

Secondly, it is about tattoos. Another 'exotic' example, depending on your perspective. OK, that settled, I'm in. Hopefully you will enjoy this moving tale of a holiday romance that did not quite go to plan!  8)

https://soundcloud.com/michael-a-duffy/lets-get-a-tattoo

Let's Get a Tattoo

So cool
Our holiday romance
In Benidorm
That you swore was in France
Beauty
I took it over brains
Love at first sight
When I met you on the plane
Hot nights
All Sangria and pleasure
And you promised
You'd soul-mate me forever
Oh yeah
Let's go over the edge
Another drink then
We made this solemn pledge

Ah-ooh
Let's get a tattoo
To prove you love me
I love you
Ah-ooh
Let's get a tattoo
I got mine first
What about you?

Poolside
When I took off my vest
Your sweet name
Now tattooed on my chest
You laughed
And said you'd get one later
I saw you wink
At the handsome Spanish waiter
But you
Said babes do not be jealous
You'd had enough
Of all the other fellas
Gorgeous
You took a selfie then
And sent it to me
But I'd never see you again

We should have been in Tattoo Heaven
Choosing funky tattoo art
But you fled from Tattoo Heaven
That day you broke my tattooed heart

Where’s your tattoo?
Where’s your tattoo?
Where’s your tattoo?
And where are you?

« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 01:28:43 PM by MichaelA »
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 08:58:54 PM »
Hi Michael,

Really clever song, great lyrics, the tattoo makes it exotic, if not erotic.

Song has a real 80s feel which is my era.

A great listen.

Sandeep

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 09:24:19 PM »
Fabulous Michael. I'm sure there's a lot of work for those tat removal guys from this sort of thing. With the wonderful weather it was a bit of a tits and tats experience on our local beach today. I love your sardonic vocal delivery and 80s inspired backing track. It's a great story as well.

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 08:15:24 AM »

Hi Michael,

Love the character, and delivery of your vocal.....unique ;D 

Nice upbeat, happy feel. love the story....could've been about me ;D ;D

Excellent work mate.  Good luck in the comp...

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 11:37:08 AM »
Well I live about 25 miles from Benidorm and I can smell it from here, so I can tell you now that it´s a class place. Very nice poppy song - a little too synthy for my taste but that doesn't mean it isn´t a good song. Chorus is very good and hooky and the lyrics are clever as always. Good stuff.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 12:15:53 PM »
This is brilliant @MichaelA   8)
Love the premise and the lyrics are funny and clever  ;D
Your vocal delivery is perfect  :P
Love the wonky intro and 80's vibe  ::)
Great entry for the spring comp :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 09:40:52 PM »
Smashing unusual chorus here... and a kitschy 80s disco feel, which suits the Benidorm setting very well (anyone for "Agadoo"?).  Some of the synth melodies are actually really pretty too though... especially that sound that sounds a bit like a steel drum.  Top stuff... funny and a little sad at the same time.  I hope he managed to meet someone else with the same name.
It's all too beautiful.

Inanité_sonore

• Open Mic
    • Black Gift Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 09:01:42 AM »
Hello,

I like your voice. You have a special style. I confess that I was surprised by the music and kitschy arrangements but I got used to and I perceived the irony (if I understood correctly...).

Good song !

IS
IS

My project "Black Gift" :
listen the album and buy CD & vinyl :
https://blackgift.bandcamp.com/releases

Listen :
https://soundcloud.com/black_gift/tracks

Inanité Sonore Records :
https://soundcloud.com/user-24297189

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 09:51:39 AM »
Very cool rhymes here, and nicely paced storytelling. I think your production definitely deserves recognition, lots of detail and support for the song. Perhaps being very critical the chorus melody wasn’t as strong as some of yours, but it’s a very cool - and definitely sufficiently exotic - piece of work.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 02:10:13 PM »
Yo Michael.

A cleverly executed track,funny and on point.

Love that chorus and the overall 80s feel. This could be the theme for an 80s sitcom,it's catchy and very memorable.

Sound work Michael.  :)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 05:57:51 PM »
Thanks for these comments everyone who had a listen, much appreciated as usual.

@Movin Flavour , thanks Sandeep. I think I might be ready to tackle the 90s soon, but I am a slow learner! Cheers for the listen!  :D

@pompeyjazz , ta, hope you managed to get rid of that tattoo mate!  ;)

@Binladeda , cheers for picking up on my vocal performance. It is something I have worked the most on this past year - with still much to do, I may add!

@crystalsuzy , thanks so much quirky sister! I know you still beat me hands down for pure quirkiness however, ha! You are on another level!  8)

@PaulyX , good thinking about the same name quest. Maybe you have just inspired a follow up song, ha!  ;D Or a whole concept album!

@Inanité_sonore , hello there and nice to meet you for the first time! Yep, irony is definitely done here, so you are right. Thanks for listening.

@adamfarr glad you liked the production. I will have a think about your chorus comment though! Cheers!  ;)

@Skub, ta mate - and funnily enough my wife also mentioned this should be a sitcom or a book. But then again she is just hoping for some royalties somehow, seeing as my songs are not yet laying the golden egg I promised her all those years ago, ha!  ;D This has got legs, you'll see. Cheers!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 07:24:50 PM »
Hi Michael. I'm a fan of this song and pretty much concur with the previous posts. I am very curious. About your vocals as you seem to have a signature vocal effect that you use on most of your songs. Can you reveal how you achieve it and any insights into why you have adopted it as a signature? Would love to hear your raw vocals at some stage for comparison

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 11:17:22 PM »
Hi Micky @mickyplankton , thanks for asking about my vocals. It is something I have been trying to get better at this past year.

I am chuffed you think my vocals have a signature sound, as that is what I have been aiming for with these more quirky songs.

It all goes back to many years ago when my band at the time was playing at a club in Leeds and I was lead singer. The promoter, at the end of the gig, said we were good and everyone had had a good time. But we were not distinctive. And he named about three or four bands that my vocal style of the time sounded like. He said we would never make it unless I could create a distinctive sound and unfortunately for us he was right.

If you think of your fave bands or singers. You would know them within a second of hearing a new track. So, as I am trying to write these Quirky narrative songs at the moment, a bit retro too, then I realised they had to have a larger than life vocal delivery and something that sounded a bit unique. So Michael A the performer is more extrovert than me in real life. I kind of camp it up, add a bit of drama, and hope that this will convince the listener of the authenticity of these vivid songs.

Technically, I am miles behind some on here production wise. I got used to using just GarageBand on iPad when in my job I was travelling away a lot - easy to stick in a travel bag. Now I have given that up, I have stuck with the habit all the same. So I just record on GarageBand but with an iRig mic, which is very clear but a bit thin. In the App Store there is an app called MicSwap Pro. This enhances the mic sound, making it sound warmer, and is meant to simulate more professional mics.

In production I add vox a bolster track at about 70 per cent the volume of the main vox track, which gives a thicker sound. Then I add intermittent vocal high harmonies at either a third interval, or some higher counter melody which I think fits. From there it is just a case of some compression, reverb and delay.

But the main difference is just in the slightly over the top delivery, and more practice at staying on pitch!

If you go on Soundcloud and listen to one of my old more serious songs 'Beautiful & Brave', featuring our own Karen @MonnoDB on backing vox, you can hear what the more normal me used to sound like, singing straight into an iPad mic with just reverb added.

Cheers, hope that was OK!  :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 09:58:27 AM »
Hi @MichaelA - A fun song, funnily enough I though you brought in @mickyplankton to do the LVox, you two sound very similar IMO.

A great 80's feel, well delivered.

Could imagine it on the beach whilst going red under the Spanish sun.

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 01:58:39 PM »
Vocal great in this one Michael...how do you get it sitting so nice like that? Very 80s styling....maybe not that instrument in my left ear...or maybe it is....I'm not that hot on the 80s

Well-made lyric.

Chorus is nice and catchy with that left-ear motif behind it. Funny how you announce it with that aaèooh but it works a treat. Good title.

I've just read the other comments and agree with Adam that the production is pretty bloody good though I think the chorus is stronger than he gives it credit for....and the vocal steals the show. Glad that your hard work there is paying off for you....sounds great!

Sure to do well in the comp.....I might not bother to enter now!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer