konalavadome

Jody Wilson-Raybould Rhapsody

• 22 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 10:12:24 AM »
Hi Suzy - I have to say I haven't followed this story much but definitely got a flavour from this of what happened. The ska-like rhythms are really up my street. I don't know how you can even start to record something with so many different sections!

I love the way that you ended it with a break from the humour and a sincere comment - that part could almost be a song on its own. Very unique and original.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 05:56:30 PM »
As always I’m blown away by your creativity - this is just so full of inventive elements. Have been following with intrigue what’s going on over there so it was great to have a musical guide though if all!! And how you knit together the different parts is so impressive. Fantastic!

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 11:01:15 PM »
Hi Suzy, I don't think anyone anywhere is writing songs like this, so unique and inventive a style. It is very much like a dramatic series of mini-acts set to music, a real mini-musical condensed into one song.

You should send it to her Twitter account, she might retweet it if she has a sense humour!  :D The you can be on Canadian TV!

I liked the scratchy reggae bit, the 'I will survive' parody plus the catchy outro as my favourite sections. Totally nutty of course, all the way through,  but very enjoyable and fun to listen to. Brill!  ;D

Thanks so much for your kind comments Micheal. "a dramatic series of mini-acts set to music" is exactly what I was going for, and if you followed what's been going on over here in Canadian politics, you'd appreciate the little acts even more.
I took your advice and posted it to her twitter act, but so far haven't had any reply.
Amazingly put together Suzy - Corrupt politicians eh ? They're everywhere. I had to look up the story. This is an incredible piece of music in you're own totally original
style. There is nobody like you. Superb listen as ever  :)

Thanks so much John! And yes, corrupt politicians and it's not over yet. The story keeps getting more and more dramatic :)

Hi Suzy, like some of the other Limeys I don't know anything of the back story, but none the less loved the playfulness and creativity here... and especially the end is quite poignant... "We need our heroes now...", so it lands a serious point as it exits.  Bits of it reminded me of Prince at his most impish.  I love your refusal to follow normal structures too, your stuff is always a wild fairground ride.

Thanks PaulyX. I appreciate that you enjoyed the song even without knowing the back story. I was a little worried that people might find it boring. Glad you liked the outro...one of my favs as well.

Yo CS.

Those are not lyrics,they are a book,a saga!

I always dig your creativity,you imagination and sense of fun,all played out as a joke with a jag.

Genre busting music!  8)

Thanks Skub, and yes this is definitely a saga! Except for the really simple obvious ones, genres generally confuse me. When asked what genre one of my songs is, I just don't know what to say.

It sounds like nothing much has change   8)

Thanks for listening and leaving a comment.

@crystalsuzy - Astonishing, quite brilliant manipulation of samples, great vocal arrangement, a lot of work here.

Really like it, although I don't have a clue about the politics, It could be applied to any government I'm sure, Mugabe spent more on his houses than on national health last year...

Interesting use of vocal fx.

Rich

Thanks Rich, and yes, I guess you could apply this scenario to any govt...just change the names. :)

Hi Suzie, I always find your songs very difficult to appraise and review because they are so densely packed with ideas and lyrics that could fill an entire album. This one is particularly difficult because it’s so genius on so many levels so creative and artistic. It’s easier to class as a work of art rather than a song and I’ve never known how to critique art!
The overall piiece is very impressive, when I try to break down the elements and appraise them I just get lost in it. Don’t know where to start. In terms of melodies, the ideas never really get enough air time before you move onto the next so i find slightly frustrating when I try to listen on my terms. Just when I think I’m getting it, you branch off and go with another melody. I guess that’s art and you are being playful or provocative. I kind of get that! My favourite melodic piece is the outro because at least you run with that for several seconds and It’s a beautiful piece of music.
Still don’t know what to make of your stuff, but it’s great that we have someone so creative, out there and artistic on this forum!

Thank you so much for those humbling comments Micky, and I do get what you're saying about the song flipping about so much. I tried to come back to certain parts of the song, so that it would have some constants throughout, like the reggae, the chorus, the judge and Scheers bit. I know it's not really like a normal song, but I guess it's not meant to be. Anyway, glad you liked it. 

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 10:29:02 PM »
Really quirky and clever.

So many different sections, not sure which section I like best, but I do like the Speak out Cest Chic comparisons.

Not sure about the political references, but not dissimilar to Political corruption seen in different countries.

An enjoyable listen.

Sandeep

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2019, 01:32:58 PM »
You had me at "Ahhhhhh SPEAK OUT!!" and it kept me thereafter.

Love the little quotes of songs and breaks for new. Not sure it is a song but it is thoroughly entertaining! I take forever over recording songs but I never go to this level of detail and variety. Great playing and singing throughout!

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »
Hi Suzy,

I know nothing about this affair so a lot of the cleverness in telling the story is lost on me but nevertheless I'm happy to trust Paul C that's it's full of your usual wit and humour. As always your creativity and incredible density of ideas is off the scale.

I always thought that Canada was perfect so it's good to hear that you guys get it wrong as much as we do here in UK (well perhaps not THAT bad!).

Another great track to add to your wonderful song portfolio.

M

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2019, 10:59:15 PM »
Hi Suzy - I have to say I haven't followed this story much but definitely got a flavour from this of what happened. The ska-like rhythms are really up my street. I don't know how you can even start to record something with so many different sections!

I love the way that you ended it with a break from the humour and a sincere comment - that part could almost be a song on its own. Very unique and original.

Thanks Adam...I love ska as well. I'm thinking of maybe writing a song using the last
section as a jumping stone.

As always I’m blown away by your creativity - this is just so full of inventive elements. Have been following with intrigue what’s going on over there so it was great to have a musical guide though if all!! And how you knit together the different parts is so impressive. Fantastic!

Thanks K! Finally someone other than Paul has been following Canadian politics :)  I know it's nothing quite as BIG as Brexit or Trump, but we're getting there.
I'm glad it flowed for you through the different parts...that's always a challenge for me :)

Really quirky and clever.

So many different sections, not sure which section I like best, but I do like the Speak out Cest Chic comparisons.

Not sure about the political references, but not dissimilar to Political corruption seen in different countries.

An enjoyable listen.

Sandeep

Thanks for taking a listen, Sandeep. I just couldn't help myself from throwing those little take-offs from 'Freak Out' and 'I Will Survive'. It just fit the situation too well, so I'm glad you got a kick out of them.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2019, 12:14:29 AM »
You had me at "Ahhhhhh SPEAK OUT!!" and it kept me thereafter.

Love the little quotes of songs and breaks for new. Not sure it is a song but it is thoroughly entertaining! I take forever over recording songs but I never go to this level of detail and variety. Great playing and singing throughout!

AWWW...THANK YOU! @tboswell! That was such a fun part to do, so I'm glad it pulled you in. You're right, it isn't really a song. I'm just trying to follow a series of events that were taking place on parliament hill. I'm happy you found it entertaining!
Hi Suzy,

I know nothing about this affair so a lot of the cleverness in telling the story is lost on me but nevertheless I'm happy to trust Paul C that's it's full of your usual wit and humour. As always your creativity and incredible density of ideas is off the scale.

I always thought that Canada was perfect so it's good to hear that you guys get it wrong as much as we do here in UK (well perhaps not THAT bad!).

Another great track to add to your wonderful song portfolio.

M
Thanks M...glad you found it entertaining even though you didn't know the scandal that was taking place in Canadian politics. And yes, we too do have our flaws, but you're right, not quite as bad as Brexit :) :) :)