Jody Wilson-Raybould Rhapsody

• 22 Replies

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« on: March 31, 2019, 12:09:15 AM »
I don't usually write political songs, but I just couldn't resist this one. It's a humorous take on what's been going on in Canadian politics over the last month and a half  :P You probably won't appreciate this unless you're Canadian and have been following CBC news, but I thought I'd post it just for fun  ;D ;D Any feedback on mix or anything else would be much appreciated  ;)
Lyrics posted on SC :)

https://soundcloud.com/crystalsuzy/jody-wilson-raybold-rhapsody

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 08:37:25 AM »
As clever as something that's really clever... 8) satire in a song at it's best..I'd surely get lost trying to put together a song as complicated as this...such good work!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 02:36:27 PM »
Hi Suzy

I've been following this circus faithfully - you've captured the madness quite eloquently (and madly)
It's a tough name to remember but she sure has unearthed the worms in canadian politics  ;D

quite an achievement this song - wish I had written it  :D

Paul

Inanité_sonore

• Open Mic
    • Black Gift Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 04:05:12 PM »
Hello,

I know nothing about the politics of Canada but even without knowing I can say that I really like the spirit of the song. We perceive humor. The raw appearance of the mix and sounds goes well with the intention. There is an ironic musical side that I like, it reminds me a bit of the Rocky Horror Picture show, for the crazy side.

Maybe it's a little long for me. We lose the hard side when the piece is prolonged.

Anyway, I love this freedom!

IS
IS

My project "Black Gift" :
listen the album and buy CD & vinyl :
https://blackgift.bandcamp.com/releases

Listen :
https://soundcloud.com/black_gift/tracks

Inanité Sonore Records :
https://soundcloud.com/user-24297189

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 06:59:52 PM »
Hi Suzy,

As creative and madcap as ever.
I like the way you weave in references to other songs whilst keeping your originality.
Must take a lot of work to come up with and execute songs like this.

No idea about Canadian politics - I've tried to switch off from UK politics as well - can only listen to the same old drivel for so long.

Hope you're well.

Digger

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 09:16:04 AM »
This is sooooo original CS and I love the song references....you always put together extremely complex arrangements which seem to flow so effortlessly together...all tied together by that off-beat guitar rhythm. Maybe Canada should try something like Brexit and see how they get on?

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 12:36:23 PM »
Hi Suzy, I don't think anyone anywhere is writing songs like this, so unique and inventive a style. It is very much like a dramatic series of mini-acts set to music, a real mini-musical condensed into one song.

You should send it to her Twitter account, she might retweet it if she has a sense humour!  :D The you can be on Canadian TV!

I liked the scratchy reggae bit, the 'I will survive' parody plus the catchy outro as my favourite sections. Totally nutty of course, all the way through,  but very enjoyable and fun to listen to. Brill!  ;D

My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 02:50:18 PM »
Amazingly put together Suzy - Corrupt politicians eh ? They're everywhere. I had to look up the story. This is an incredible piece of music in you're own totally original style. There is nobody like you. Superb listen as ever  :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 11:31:33 AM »
As clever as something that's really clever... 8) satire in a song at it's best..I'd surely get lost trying to put together a song as complicated as this...such good work!
Thank you so much Kevin. I'm so glad that this song can appreciated even without knowing what's been going on in Canadian politics.

Hi Suzy

I've been following this circus faithfully - you've captured the madness quite eloquently (and madly)
It's a tough name to remember but she sure has unearthed the worms in Canadian politics  ;D

quite an achievement this song - wish I had written it  :D

Paul
Ah yes my fellow Canadian, a can of worms has been opened indeed, and there just had to be a song written about it, even if it is just my madcap rendition. Means a lot that you liked it, so thanks.
Hello,

I know nothing about the politics of Canada but even without knowing I can say that I really like the spirit of the song. We perceive humor. The raw appearance of the mix and sounds goes well with the intention. There is an ironic musical side that I like, it reminds me a bit of the Rocky Horror Picture show, for the crazy side.

Maybe it's a little long for me. We lose the hard side when the piece is prolonged.

Anyway, I love this freedom!

IS

thanks so much for your kind comments IS, and I'm glad you could appreciate the humor even without the background in Can Pol. I know it's a little on the long side, but I thought I cold get away with it as a rhapsody.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 09:30:33 PM »
Hi Suzy, like some of the other Limeys I don't know anything of the back story, but none the less loved the playfulness and creativity here... and especially the end is quite poignant... "We need our heroes now...", so it lands a serious point as it exits.  Bits of it reminded me of Prince at his most impish.  I love your refusal to follow normal structures too, your stuff is always a wild fairground ride.
It's all too beautiful.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 02:27:50 PM »
Yo CS.

Those are not lyrics,they are a book,a saga!

I always dig your creativity,you imagination and sense of fun,all played out as a joke with a jag.

Genre busting music!  8)

Dogmax

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 11:25:21 PM »
It sounds like nothing much has change   8)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 09:50:42 AM »
@crystalsuzy - Astonishing, quite brilliant manipulation of samples, great vocal arrangement, a lot of work here.

Really like it, although I don't have a clue about the politics, It could be applied to any government I'm sure, Mugabe spent more on his houses than on national health last year...

Interesting use of vocal fx.

Rich

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 01:26:49 AM »
Hi Suzy,

As creative and madcap as ever.
I like the way you weave in references to other songs whilst keeping your originality.
Must take a lot of work to come up with and execute songs like this.

No idea about Canadian politics - I've tried to switch off from UK politics as well - can only listen to the same old drivel for so long.

Hope you're well.

Digger

thanks for listening and your comments @digger72  I was a little hesitant is do a take off on 2 well known songs, but they just seemed so perfect, so I'm glad to hear I kept my originality, even with them in there. So nice to see you back on the forum. I was wondering what happened to you.

This is sooooo original CS and I love the song references....you always put together extremely complex arrangements which seem to flow so effortlessly together...all tied together by that off-beat guitar rhythm. Maybe Canada should try something like Brexit and see how they get on?

thanks for your kind comments Martyn. It's nice to hear that my song flows together, because I'm always a little worried that they won't come across the way I hear them.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 09:53:06 AM »
Hi Suzie, I always find your songs very difficult to appraise and review because they are so densely packed with ideas and lyrics that could fill an entire album. This one is particularly difficult because it’s so genius on so many levels so creative and artistic. It’s easier to class as a work of art rather than a song and I’ve never known how to critique art!
The overall piiece is very impressive, when I try to break down the elements and appraise them I just get lost in it. Don’t know where to start. In terms of melodies, the ideas never really get enough air time before you move onto the next so i find slightly frustrating when I try to listen on my terms. Just when I think I’m getting it, you branch off and go with another melody. I guess that’s art and you are being playful or provocative. I kind of get that! My favourite melodic piece is the outro because at least you run with that for several seconds and It’s a beautiful piece of music.
Still don’t know what to make of your stuff, but it’s great that we have someone so creative, out there and artistic on this forum!