Who has a website?

• 12 Replies

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« on: March 29, 2019, 03:31:52 PM »
Unashamedly plugging my website at www.martynrich.com, I wonder who else has their own website and have they seen any benefit from it in getting their music to a wider audience? I set this one up for 25€...including hosting and buying the domain name. I´ve now started some small targeted promotions through Instagram to see how it goes. I have tried Facebook in the past, but I´ve been told by a social media guru that Instagram is now the place to be, with some well thought out hashtags and target audiences to get the best response. I´d really like to know what others experiences are?

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 04:22:38 PM »
I've tried FB but I experimented and get loads more attention if I post a picture of my dogs or a sunset  ;D ;D

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 05:13:51 PM »
I use mostly just Soundcloud and Reverbnation per now. I have a facebook page, that I haven't had much success with, cause there is this German artist named the same as, so a lot of German fans :p Started a second IG account a few months ago, where I have posted some of my music and some pictures, but still haven't got so many followers and haven't tried so hard yet either. But, I think there is only one way to success with SoMe and that is hard work and really making an effort on marketing your accounts :) I have been working on my own professional webpage, but it is still in the planning phase!

I checked out your webpage, and it is neat, but maybe a little empty. Could have had a Nav-menu with a little bigger bio, some pictures and maybe a discography. But for marketing and reaching audiences, have you tried the promoting system Reverbnation has? or GoogleAds could also maybe be worth a shot. Everything depends on what you want to market if it is an upcoming show, your music or to sell your music/records. Facebook also has a promoting function, with a business side where you can track your marketing.

Just some few tips on the possibilities we have when it comes to marketing and reaching audiences :)

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 06:58:17 PM »
I’ve had one in the past, and I’d like to resurrect it. I used Go Daddy and had a bunch of pages, full bio, songs, YouTubes, glossy photos of all my various stringed instruments and the stories behind them. Whether it’s worth having one depends on what you want from it. I just liked having a single source which I had full control, which I could direct people to if they were interested in my music.

If you are really trying to promote yourself seriously, then I reckon it’s social media first second and third, with a bespoke website as a bolt on.

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 09:51:57 PM »
Hi MartynRich, Instagram is definitely the place to be and as long as you create engaging content and use the hashtags to your advantage and the stories feature it's a great way to get your music out there. I'd suggest having all other social media accounts too (if you haven't already) and not give up on those.
What i'm doing is pushing my social media accounts to one place - Youtube - but yours could be your website or wherever as it helps guide your followers to one central point and your audience isn't spread too thinly over several platforms like soundcloud, Spotify etc. Facebook advertising does work you just need to drill down into your demographics. There's a guy called Damien Keyes on Youtube who does amazing work on demographics, social media etc

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 07:07:13 PM »
It's like Facebook,a waste of time for music.

I think once you get over the fact any recorded music is worthless,then that's the datum point.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 07:13:52 PM »
Soundcloud seems to be the nearest that many of us get to a website.

Writing and recording music for commercial success seems to me like buying a lottery ticket!

Write because you love to do so.  Write and if you're lucky your children and grandchildren will one day treasure the music that you have left behind!

Paul

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 07:16:01 PM »
Yeah Paul,soundcloud is a community like here,so you get back what you put in,the rest,no one takes a blind bit of notice.

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 07:37:38 PM »
Soundcloud seems to be the nearest that many of us get to a website.

Writing and recording music for commercial success seems to me like buying a lottery ticket!

Write because you love to do so.  Write and if you're lucky your children and grandchildren will one day treasure the music that you have left behind!

Paul

Amen to all that!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 10:05:14 AM »
Yes, I have a website. Does anyone ever look at it? Probably not.

As for what the most effective way of engaging with people is, I don't think it's the platform that matters. Although there are probably some demographic related preferences for example, the kind of people who like my music tend to be on facebook (cos they're old like me!)

Instagram, facebook, soundcloud, THIS FORUM (don't forget, we're social media too!), it's how you use it that counts. Being savvy enough and persistent enough to seek out your audience, connect with them, and keep them interested is the key. Making good music/ recordings is only a small slice of that.

As Paul @Wicked Deeds  said, being a musician for money is a dead end for most people. Virtually all of my successes have come from networking or gigging. Simply putting up content and expecting people to find it is hardly worth the effort.

But aren't we all here for the love of it first and foremost?

(it would be nice to eat occasionally, however :p )
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 10:07:17 AM by tone »
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Andyb

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 02:57:34 PM »
yes have a website.... Don't think it gets used much. again relying on people to find you rather than social media where you can to, to some extent, sneak in to potential new fans' feeds. Having said that I'm getting nowhere on social media I concentrate on facebook which could be my mistake.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 08:13:17 PM »
I´m trying to do some serious promotion at the moment and the chances of getting noticed by just putting stuff out there and hoping it´ll get picked up are virtually zero. You need some serious promotional nous to do a proper marketing campaign to spread the word...

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 12:44:48 PM »
Resurrecting this thread. I made one for us because I've been asked where people can see my art online, and it's getting embarrassing to say "nowhere". Haha. In addition to making songs, Keith and I have both been painting, so I wanted a place that simply shows what we do on one page. You'll have to guess which are mine, and which are Keith's. The videos are Keith's alone. Dave doesn't paint, but he's in some of the paintings.

https://farawaymylovely.com/