konalavadome

New Song Lyric "Agnostic's Lament"

• 4 Replies

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« on: March 28, 2019, 06:20:21 PM »
Agnostics get short shrift a lot.  We are often labelled with atheists, even though we have nothing in common with them. 

Other people (those who label us "agnostic") don't know what the word means, so they assign us beliefs we don't really hold along with the label. 

We are constantly labelled "unbelievers," but for most agnostics, that's silly. . . it's not that we don't have beliefs, it's that we can accept that "believing" is different than "proving" and "knowing." 

For most people who label us, we are considered to be just "weak kneed atheists."  Perhaps a few agnostics fit that characterization, but most do not.  Many, (probably most) agnostics believe in one religion or another. . . we/they just don't have the pretense of certainty that characterizes rigid religious adventurers. 

This is written to "Pachelbel's Canon in D Minor"

Agnostic’s Lament

VERSE: 
I have wondered, I have doubted.         –-    That angered you.  You yelled and shouted. 
Can’t see how it threatens you              ---   for me to wonder what is true. 
DOUBLE TIME: 
I don’t get why it’s threatening             ---    for me to question anything. 
You say I’m wrong, and I might be.      ---    I have no need to disagree. 

CHORUS: 
You call me “faithless” –  I don’t mind.       –-   I have faith, it’s just not blind.
You label me an “unbeliever.”                     ---   But, I don’t know and you don’t either. 
I’ve never been an “unbeliever.”                  ---   I can’t be sure, and you can’t either. 
I don’t pretend to prophesy.                          –-  Self deception’s still a lie. 
I believe, but I can’t be certain                     ---  I can’t see behind the curtain. 
One man’s “holy truth” you see,                  ---   is another man’s mythology.   

VERSE: 
You shout “faith” from every roof,                ---   but faith is not the same as proof.     
“Don’t question God,” you preach and shout.  ---   But it isn’t God I wonder about. 
DOUBLE TIME: 
It’s pride that goes before a fall.             –-   Pride pretends to know it all. 
I don’t know much, but I know this.      ---   Faith and Logic can co-exist. 

BRIDGE: 
You say you talk with God and Christ.     ---       And they confirm your every bias. 
I wonder, could these conversations          ---       just be your imagination?   
Absent doubt, there is no faith.                      –-        doubts are real in any case.   
Is God afraid of the doubts I’m under?        ---       Or is the fear all yours?  I wonder.       

CHORUS: 
You call me “faithless” –  I don’t mind.       –-   I have faith, it’s just not blind.
You label me an “unbeliever.”                     ---   But, I don’t know and you don’t either. 
I’ve never been an “unbeliever.”                  ---   I can’t be sure, and you can’t either. 
I don’t pretend to prophesy.                          –-  Self deception’s still a lie. 
I believe, but I can’t be certain                     ---  I can’t see behind the curtain. 
One man’s “holy truth” you see,                  ---   is another man’s mythology.   

VERSE: 
The apple I’m eating –  is simple and real.     ---    I taste it –  smell it, see and feel. 
But you can’t touch interpretations.              ---    Blind faith fears investigations.         
Unhandy truth is feared and hated.                ---     You say logic’s over-rated.
But then you claim with fevered mind            ---    That logic’s always on your side.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 06:53:29 PM »
This is great! Some really good rhymes in there. Had to listen to canon and try to picture the lyrics to that melody. Would love to hear a recording of this!

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 04:36:24 AM »
This is great! Some really good rhymes in there. Had to listen to canon and try to picture the lyrics to that melody. Would love to hear a recording of this!

I'll sing it in a little better, then post to "works in progress" in a little while.

Vintage54

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 12:45:33 AM »

Hello Verlon,

One reply to this so far, from how many peeks. Come on people, don't be lazy, to not reply is f***ing lazy. Well man, this is bang on the money. Nothing weak, all is strong, nothing needs changing, because nothing's wrong. I truly believe that this is among the best you've posted, and you've posted some good one's in the past. I know what i like, i don't listen too much to so called experts. When i hear a piece of music, or see the written word, if i can say at the end that, "i wish i'd written that" i know it's good, and man, i wish i'd written that.

Vintage54

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 09:55:31 PM »

Hello Verlon,

One reply to this so far, from how many peeks. Come on people, don't be lazy, to not reply is f***ing lazy. Well man, this is bang on the money. Nothing weak, all is strong, nothing needs changing, because nothing's wrong. I truly believe that this is among the best you've posted, and you've posted some good one's in the past. I know what i like, i don't listen too much to so called experts. When i hear a piece of music, or see the written word, if i can say at the end that, "i wish i'd written that" i know it's good, and man, i wish i'd written that.

Vintage54

Thank you so much.  And I know that you don't say anything you don't mean.  I've always appreciated that.  If I post a clunker, you've always been willing to tell me what I need to hear (as opposed to what I might want to hear.) 

Btw....  it's posted on "works in progress" with a link if you want to hear it with the music.