Songwriter Forum > The Bar

About stage freight, confidence and getting gigs

(1/5) > >>

Andreas:
Hey ya'all!

So, I'm gonna tell you a funny story on how I got the eminent stage freight that I have today: I was 15 years old and was in 10th grade at Junior High, and I was gonna play a show at my school. And there was this girl that I had this huge crush on, that had brought with her some banners with my name on and a lot of hearts and stuff. I got this massive performance anxiety when I saw this, and I panicked and everything just went black and I fell off the stage. Since then I have never been on a stage and now I am 25 years.

But lately, I have been gaining some confidence in my voice again, thanks to a lot of positive feedback from everyone here, so thank you! And I have been thinking about maybe trying to get some gigs here and there, but I have still some anxiety playing in places where there might be people I know. Believe it or not, I feel more confident in front of people I have never seen before, nor will see again.

So to my question; what is your best tips and tricks to get a gig, no matter the pay(could just be in beers for the first times)? Also, if any of you have any tips to deal with a stage freight, feel free to share them with me :)

Andreas

Boydie:
Hi ANDREAS

The first time I ever played live (holiday camp talent show audition when I was about 13) I was so nervous I couldn’t play guitar properly at all

However, the next time I played live I remembered that experience and it kinda scared the nerves away - ie I was “nervous about getting nervous” rather than nervous about playing, so I just focussed on the playing and literally forgot about the nerves

I think you could get yourself in a similar mindset

This has served me well as I have done countless gigs (big and small) and still get “excited” but not “nervous”

As for getting gigs by far the most effective method is TALKING and building RAPPORT

Don’t walk in to a venue and ask for a gig - ideally you should go to the venue to watch some gigs, engage with the staff working there, ask who you would need to talk to about playing there, see if they are around or whether you could meet them or send them something, follow up, follow up and follow up - be persistent without bugging people

Always remember, venues are NOT looking for great bands/acts - they are looking to sell drink so a crappy band with a huge following will always be more attractive than a great band that does not bring a crowd

cowparsleyman:
Hi Andreas

Stage fright was also a problem for me, one way to combat it is to sit in with a resisdent band in a open mic night, you are not exposing youself to anyone, but only one of a number of musicians (they have to be up for it though, you might have to prove it to them, that you are good enough)

Once you have their confidenc ein you will grow, and the familiarity of the venue will grow, and you'll feel comfy, the regulars will know you, and as @Boydie says, all they want is to sell beer, and most of the people that turn up to listen only want to drink it, and listen a bit, and watch the match.

Good luck Andreas, just don't think of it as the Wembley arena with 10k people.

Let you music speak for itself, ask yourself, could they do it any better?

Hope this helps

Rich

Skub:
Some of the mental approach has already been covered by Boydie and CPM,all good stuff.

Another aspect is to watch for what triggers your nerves and deal with it by breaking it down. For example,I don't work well on an empty stomach. I didn't ever feel like a 3 course meal before a gig,but I know myself well enough to know I need to eat something to avoid an empty stomach and the jitters which come with it.

Find what works for you by just getting on and doing it,the repitition itself will school you and give you the tools to combat nerves. Avoid alcohol,if you can. It will feel like it settles you,but it takes away a physical level of skill and is a slippery slope for any musician.

Preparation also works for me. If I know the material,I'm more content. By this I mean really know your stuff,learn it until you get it right,then learn it until you can't get it wrong. Muscle memory has saved me many a time when I've gone blank!

Good luck Andreas.  :)

nooms:
put in mind of a great song on the subject..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version