About stage freight, confidence and getting gigs

• 23 Replies

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« on: March 26, 2019, 10:52:49 PM »
Hey ya'all!

So, I'm gonna tell you a funny story on how I got the eminent stage freight that I have today: I was 15 years old and was in 10th grade at Junior High, and I was gonna play a show at my school. And there was this girl that I had this huge crush on, that had brought with her some banners with my name on and a lot of hearts and stuff. I got this massive performance anxiety when I saw this, and I panicked and everything just went black and I fell off the stage. Since then I have never been on a stage and now I am 25 years.

But lately, I have been gaining some confidence in my voice again, thanks to a lot of positive feedback from everyone here, so thank you! And I have been thinking about maybe trying to get some gigs here and there, but I have still some anxiety playing in places where there might be people I know. Believe it or not, I feel more confident in front of people I have never seen before, nor will see again.

So to my question; what is your best tips and tricks to get a gig, no matter the pay(could just be in beers for the first times)? Also, if any of you have any tips to deal with a stage freight, feel free to share them with me :)

Andreas

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 08:15:25 AM »
Hi ANDREAS

The first time I ever played live (holiday camp talent show audition when I was about 13) I was so nervous I couldn’t play guitar properly at all

However, the next time I played live I remembered that experience and it kinda scared the nerves away - ie I was “nervous about getting nervous” rather than nervous about playing, so I just focussed on the playing and literally forgot about the nerves

I think you could get yourself in a similar mindset

This has served me well as I have done countless gigs (big and small) and still get “excited” but not “nervous”

As for getting gigs by far the most effective method is TALKING and building RAPPORT

Don’t walk in to a venue and ask for a gig - ideally you should go to the venue to watch some gigs, engage with the staff working there, ask who you would need to talk to about playing there, see if they are around or whether you could meet them or send them something, follow up, follow up and follow up - be persistent without bugging people

Always remember, venues are NOT looking for great bands/acts - they are looking to sell drink so a crappy band with a huge following will always be more attractive than a great band that does not bring a crowd
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 08:32:31 PM »
Hi Andreas

Stage fright was also a problem for me, one way to combat it is to sit in with a resisdent band in a open mic night, you are not exposing youself to anyone, but only one of a number of musicians (they have to be up for it though, you might have to prove it to them, that you are good enough)

Once you have their confidenc ein you will grow, and the familiarity of the venue will grow, and you'll feel comfy, the regulars will know you, and as @Boydie says, all they want is to sell beer, and most of the people that turn up to listen only want to drink it, and listen a bit, and watch the match.

Good luck Andreas, just don't think of it as the Wembley arena with 10k people.

Let you music speak for itself, ask yourself, could they do it any better?

Hope this helps

Rich

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 11:32:04 PM »
Some of the mental approach has already been covered by Boydie and CPM,all good stuff.

Another aspect is to watch for what triggers your nerves and deal with it by breaking it down. For example,I don't work well on an empty stomach. I didn't ever feel like a 3 course meal before a gig,but I know myself well enough to know I need to eat something to avoid an empty stomach and the jitters which come with it.

Find what works for you by just getting on and doing it,the repitition itself will school you and give you the tools to combat nerves. Avoid alcohol,if you can. It will feel like it settles you,but it takes away a physical level of skill and is a slippery slope for any musician.

Preparation also works for me. If I know the material,I'm more content. By this I mean really know your stuff,learn it until you get it right,then learn it until you can't get it wrong. Muscle memory has saved me many a time when I've gone blank!

Good luck Andreas.  :)

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 02:27:52 AM »
put in mind of a great song on the subject..

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 12:27:54 PM »
@Skub nailed it, another angle is that covers are also a source of tension, on the one hand people know the song so they are comfortable with it, but if it's your song, who are they to know if you've left out a verse? so you have a certain amount of pressure taken off there. Choose easy songs, nothing that is too difficult for you either in technical ability or in range of notes.

As Skubs says there is a country mile between learning a song and getting it ready for performing in front of people, my sister said once,

'Don't practise till you get it right, practise it till you can't get it wrong'

Wise words Viv

Rich

Andreas

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 02:23:11 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice @cowparsleyman, @Boydie, @Skub, and @nooms! With my newborn inspiration for writing music lately, I have enough songs for a whole record, and then I have some dearly favorite cover songs I play a lot for myself. I have had a set of songs for years I have known I could have played on a stage :) Get to put my stage-freight on a test tomorrow, cause I am going to play a few songs for my dads 60th birthday-party. Will not be more than 13 eyes that are watching me though, but in a small room it would feel like 90K on Wembley :p

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 02:24:40 PM »
Good luck , and play like you are at Wembley

Andreas

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 02:30:12 PM »
I will  8) Luckily there's no stage I can fall off from :p

Dogmax

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 03:01:45 PM »
Hey man just in case I was going to give you that sergeant major voice routine "get your fucking arse up that fucking hill boy"  but you don't need it.

Have a great day tomorrow and wish that old man of yours a happy birthday from all here, sorry for the f word 👍

Andreas

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 04:01:06 PM »
Hey man just in case I was going to give you that sergeant major voice routine "get your fucking arse up that fucking hill boy"  but you don't need it.

Have a great day tomorrow and wish that old man of yours a happy birthday from all here, sorry for the f word 👍

Hahahah, I will, thanks a lot man :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 07:59:49 PM »
Don’t fall off the stage, dive into the crowd  8)

No shrinking violets...

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 10:10:15 AM »
Will not be more than 13 eyes that are watching me though

Hmmmm - now I an intrigued :o

Does someone have 1 eye or 3?  ;D

Good luck - I am sure it will go amazingly well

If you can play in front of family and friends then playing to strangers is an absolute breeze!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 10:39:58 AM »
@Boydie - I wondered the same...maybe the last the last time he played to his family...

1. He took someones eye out with the capo stuck on the end of his acosutic...
2. He blinded the dog with his hired laser light show
3. he has a family member that like to carry around a bulls eye to gigs.
4. He has a mate who is a prophet and has a 3rd eye.

...could be...

Andreas

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 11:00:34 AM »
Will not be more than 13 eyes that are watching me though

Hmmmm - now I an intrigued :o

Does someone have 1 eye or 3?  ;D

Good luck - I am sure it will go amazingly well

If you can play in front of family and friends then playing to strangers is an absolute breeze!

Hahaha :p Ya, I meant 13 pair of eyes :p At least I don't think anyone has either 3 or 1 eye