So I won't so sing that love song to you

So I wrote this instead
Coz I want to tell you
That I'm finding it hard to catch a breathe
When I'm looking at pictures of you

Though it's not been very long
Since I first met you
I've wanted to write a song, all along
To thank you for what butterflies can do.

So I want to know
Even though we're far apart
If you ever feel blue, what you do
Is remember you're always in my heart

Instrumental Version

No Strings
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:03:37 PM by dinnerwithgreedo »
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 09:53:38 PM »
Hey Greedo, sweet little track. Somehow it reminded me of The Beatles' "Her Majesty", in its melody and brevity probably.
Well your voice sounds great.
I'm not normally one for a straight up love song, so rather than the lyrics I was enjoying the picking and balance with the strings.  Because it's so short I'd say you have everything you need here, trying to cram in anything else would seem artificial and detract from the purity of it.
It's all too beautiful.

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 12:14:49 AM »
hi dwg
beautiful love song and vocal
nice mix sweet guitar  subtle strings
this and a previous track of yours remind me of 60s west coast band spirit
great sound
really good listen
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 06:54:37 PM »
A thing of beauty! But I would tinker - I think even given the theme it could do with a bigger vocal to match the lushness if the backing , more low end and reverb? In fact I could really hear this as a Mumford style folk stomper, with percussion and all gradually coming in.

You don’t need to tinker though, it’s a great song and sometimes simplicity is best.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 08:20:14 PM »
A very nice folky love song. At first it reminded me of being at an acoustic stage in Trowbridge on a Sunday afternoon - perfect with a plastic cup of cider. The acoustic is excellent and I really love the single violin at the start. There is also a lovely 7th chord just before the 3rd verse...I think there is a load of scope to extend this more though and personally, I would keep the single violin rather than doubling up - it had such a sweet sound to it. Overall however, really good songwriting and I loved the lyrics!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 09:00:48 PM »
Hi Dwg. Lovely simplicity and honesty. Reminded me of something that Macca might do. Absolutely lovely

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 01:14:19 PM »
yes really neat tune here pretty and heartfelt.
Acoustics sounding great and I like the strings.
My only thought was around the vocal production, it didn't quiet gel with the upfrontness of the guitars, maybe a little room would help.
Anyway going to have a second listen.
:-)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 01:53:47 PM »
There is great beauty in the simplicity of the performance, choice of instruments and lyrics.  The string section gives this song a great lift.  No  surprises, on offer but it let's the listener know that the writing is accomplished. It must be a lovely feeling when someone writes a beautiful song for them.

Paul.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 07:35:33 PM »
That's a really nice theme, this butterflies thing and the love song is simple but honest and genuine and all the better for it.

Yeah, having read the comments as the accompaniment is sparse I too would have maybe gone for the single violin or maybe cello.

But you've created a sweet thing here and the discussion about the salad dressing is a side issue. Cool!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Sonny And The Dark

• Busker
    • Sonny And The Dark
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 10:16:07 AM »
Hi I really like the guitar playing on this sounds really nice. The vocals remind me  a little of Neil Young when he sings very softly. Lyrics fit together too.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 10:11:50 PM »
Yo DWG.

Charming and delightful,honest and sweet,is what I wrote on your cloud and it sums up the song perfectly.

I hear what Pauly says about the Beatles connection,I can hear Macca singing this for sure.

Love songs are not my thing at all,but lyrically this manages to avoid the cheese and like a cute puppy,it's impossible to dislike.

Good work man.  8)

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 10:22:13 PM »
I AM usually one for a straight-up love song and this delivers on so many levels. I really like your music, first of - those double-tracked picking guitars are irresistible and love the simple strings. This ticks all the boxes musically. You don't go overboard on the arrangement and let everything have it's place and it all shines as a result.

Lyrically, it does the job, too. It's quite traditional and to the point which is nice. Maybe a little too much, though? I feel like it ends just as it gets going. You could benefit from a couple extra verses, or maybe just one, where the music drops back to just you and the guitar again. To thank you for what butterflies can do is a lovely refrain.

Because I think this is a great tune I am going to be more picky than I usually am with the vocal performance. I think you can easily deliver a killer one but you waiver a little bit in places.

"

"Though it's not been VERY long/ Since I FIRST met you." You're a touch flat on the capitalised words.

"Even though we're far apart." You don't quite nail the run-up notes.

There are some other places where it can be chalked up to personal preference. Sometimes an uneasy vocal is intentional. But this are the places to me it strayed a little.

Once again, great tune.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 10:32:33 PM »
This is beautiful, Greedo! The lyrics are touchy and yet so simple. It is easy listening and the melody is beautiful. The strings give a little more flavor to the song and the guitar picking is top notch. Well done!

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 11:07:41 PM »
Lovely song @dinnerwithgreedo ... Its so hard (for me) to write a straight love song.. This works beautifully.. lyrics great and you have a lovely melody going on there. Strings work very well.. All in all a great production - loved it! It's short but long enough :)!

K

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2019, 09:27:23 PM »
Wow! Thank you all SO MUCH! I didn't think this song would get so much praise. I almost didn't post it!
Thanks again.
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)