Famous Folk on Soundcloud?

• 7 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: March 19, 2019, 03:59:32 PM »
While listening on Soundcloud,tracks from Jon Anderson popped up on my stream. I laughed to myself thinking it was someone with the same name as the famous dude...then he started singing and I knew it was the genuine article.

Now,I'm well aware it's not him sitting in his studio posting up his songs,he'll have folk to do that job!  ;) But I was more than surprised to see his work on Soundcloud,since I always viewed the platform as an outlet for the keen amateur. Is this changing? Has anyone else stumbled across established artists online and in among the unknown?

For those of a younger age than myself,who may ask wtf is Jon Anderson...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Anderson

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 05:57:27 PM »
I think quite a few established artists use the platform Davy. I like you thought it was more for the budding amateurs  :)

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 08:41:15 PM »
Well I recently stumbled across Chris Difford, ex of Squeeze. But he's got less followers than most of us!  ;D

Most of his songs are 'previews' however.

I might do that - when I am trying to sell my Platinum album!  ;D
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 09:27:03 PM »
Had a listen to a couple of Chris Difford tracks on SC. Now, is it the "Real" CD or not ? I saw him play an intimate gig (audience of around 100) around a year ago and his vocal register is a bit lower I think, although it could be him having a bit of fun. The one full song he had there had definite Squeeze touches but the others didn't really convince me. Of course I may be totally wrong. There's loads of Robert Plants and Neil Youngs on SC but any actual genuine ones ?

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 09:47:52 PM »
Maybe I am too gullible, ha! It was that most of his songs are snippets/previews that made me think he was protecting his income stream!

Oh well... ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 10:15:58 PM »
Ha! the plot thickens!

I am just surprised an artist of any stature would even find S/C necessary,then maybe any publicity is good,when it all boils down.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 10:44:08 PM »
Didn't they promise full catalogues as part of their whole PRO thing trying to compete with mainstream commercial streamers? Looks like most of the established artists up there have only promos available on the regular SC but you can get the full content with PRO? A bit late to the party with that one though....

K

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 12:15:13 PM »
Didn't they promise full catalogues as part of their whole PRO thing trying to compete with mainstream commercial streamers? Looks like most of the established artists up there have only promos available on the regular SC but you can get the full content with PRO? A bit late to the party with that one though....

K

Yeah,I seem to recall something along those lines too. And you're right Karen,Spotify have stolen a march on them all.