The Meteor

• 25 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« on: March 14, 2019, 10:45:13 AM »
Hi All - new song from me (at last!). Some might recall the basic words from last year's lyrics competition (see here if curious to see the evolution).

It's about meeting someone totally out of your league, but thinking 'let's go with it', even though inevitably the next day you'll feel like, well, hit by an asteroid.

Specific and constructive comments always welcome!

Many thanks.

The Meteor

Verses
You burst into the room
Like a frigate's crew
Rocking a quiet saloon

I stopped fast in my tracks
Like a silent lamb
Sensing a wolf’s attack

Words my trusty defence
Didn’t dare expect
Your warmth upon my neck

PRE-CH1
Tonight let's devour the oyster
Though in the morning I know
I'll have nothing to show except an empty shell

CH
So tomorrow you’ll be gone
Because you'll still be
The meteor, the meteor
So tomorrow I'd prefer
To be the bird, shaken not stirred
But yet again I'll probably be
The dinosaur, the dinosaur

Verse
Your hair entered my night
Perfumed with a life
That seemed not quite like mine

PRE-CH2
Tonight, spraying champagne bubbles
I'll have nothing to show except a damp puddle

CH
BRIDGE
FINAL CH

(c) Adam Farr, 2018-2019, all rights reserved

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 01:28:30 PM »
Think this is great Adam. Love the lyrics, paint a great picture. I love the lines "Tonight, spraying champagne bubbles
I'll have nothing to show except a damp puddle"

Musically, there are some interesting and effective chord progressions. It reminded me of something by Belle & Sebastian might do and also echoes of something off the Cherry Red "Pillows & prayers" compilation. The solo although relatively simple is really effective - The best type of solo's as far as I'm concerned. Good job on the bv's as well. Like the counter melody you've used in contrast to the lead vocs. It's a grower as well for sure. Just on my 3rd listen. Great stuff as usual Adam, I always enjoy listening to your work as it is always varied and interesting 

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 01:39:06 PM »
Great lyrics but I found the phrasing of them a little strange so the song doesn't work for me but then..I'm pretty strange myself...

but really good lyrics :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 06:33:32 PM »
Yo Adam.

This is very definitely you. Your style is unmistakable,keep it that way.  8)

In the 70s I used to listen to a lot of music well off the beaten track and there always was a place for it. Sadly these days,if it's not whatever the current acceptable formula is in vogue,then folk are dismissive.

Happily,technology also allows folk to be honest and true to themselves and once again truly original compositions are out there.

Keep the fires burning Adam.  :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 07:32:07 PM »
I really like the guitar sound you open with Adam... I thought it was a piano at first... and the bass sounds a bit like a tuba (I don't mean this disparagingly - I like a lot the way they aren't typical sounds you have gone for!). And the lyrics of course... some great turnarounds like the champagne turning into a puddle.  I didn't spot the link between meteors and dinosaurs until the sound effect at the end - clever!  (And I never noticed that "meteor" rhymes with "dinosaur" before.) Backing sounds a bit muffled?  But then again I kinda liked that, gave it more of a woozy indie vibe.  Nice middle 8 vocal multi tracking and I like the way the instruments leap back in.
It's all too beautiful.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 09:47:36 PM »
Great lyrics! My favourite line I think is the "shaken not stirred" line although it has tough competition.

I love your style - that a cappella part coming into the last chorus is fantastic. Lots of treats for the ear to be frank - ending is also great. Can you tell I'm reviewing as I listen :).. to recap. It's fab!

K

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 08:46:17 AM »
Whato @adamfarr - Really like this, it exposes your musicality nicely, no MOR stuff here.

Since the LVox sound a little exposed, you might want to put a whiff of verb on them, but I guess you tried that since the opening Gtr has it on, you wouldn't need much at all, so little you probably wouldn't notice it was there, just to take the dryness off, might be tempted to stick a warm pre amp sim on it, and some 'air' too.

A breath of fresh Oyster, thanks for a lovely Saturday morning listen.

Reminds me a bit of Stornaway.

@Skub is right you have a style of your own Adam.

cpm

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 08:49:30 AM »
I love that kind of lo-fi rhythm guitar, and its counter melody riffing esp in the verse,  very English Quirky and just perfect for this.

That vocal soloing really surprised me but with the tight harmonies worked very well. Intelligent lyrics too. Good work!

My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 12:53:22 PM »
Hi Adam. This is great. In my opinion this is your best song yet. It’s a classic 80s indie tune. Has flavours of Galaxie 500. Are they an inspiration? I’m loving the melodies and the lyrics are decent.
I do think you need to tinker with the mix and perhaps publish different versions of this song. It will be worth your while as this song deserves multiple treatments.
If I wrote something this good I would do a few different vocal versions and vary the delivery a bit so you can pick the best result further down the line.

There is one slight jar in the vocal levels at .36/37. The vocals seem to rise in loudness when you sing “your neck”. Maybe you moved closer to the microphone at this point? Perhaps add a touch of reverb to smooth things out.
The other thing I would consider is bringing the arpeggio guitar hook at 3.23 forwards by a verse or two. It’s great and doesn’t get a long enough run in the song in my book.
Hope you get a chance to work further on this. Cheers Micky
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 01:03:55 PM by mickyplankton »

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 02:14:03 PM »
Good stuff Adam!
Top lyrics, the performance is strange in the best way.

The song really draws me back
Meteor - dinosaur...

Very clever.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 04:43:03 PM »
Heya Adam!

Aha reading your description "about meeting someone totally out of your league" I immediately thought about The Most Normal Thing - you must be a dreamer :)

The lyrics are really interesting, they ooze a sort of wisdom, and combining that with having shorter lines/verses makes them feel really powerful. Your lyrics always contain prestige but in different ways, these are nothing like your previously mentioned ^ - and that's awesome.

Listening, I'm conflicted. The music, but mostly your vocal over the verses up until the chorus sound really special, brings memories of Bloc Party's Hymns album. We hit the pre & chorus which builds up nicely into a celebrative mood, but then I realise we're only a minute in to a 4 minute track; and there's only 1 beautiful verse left! Listened a few times and can't figure out anything constructive for rearrangement, but it does feel a pity to pass the verses so quickly.

Perhaps you've it just right to leave us wanting more.

Really cool vibe overall, enjoy the little bits of backing vocal and breaks are very effective.

All the best,
Scott

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 12:51:16 PM »
I love this, Adam.

Lyrics are super,  but I think it's the way you put it all together that makes it special.

There's a very strong unconventional element to your songs which gives the listener something they couldn't get anywhere else. It's not preening and polished and that's a big part of its charm.

I often feel stuck in the rut of my more conventional approach...whereas you're able to come from a totally different angle.

Great song!

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 12:50:14 PM »
I don´t know what to add that hasn't´t already been said but I love this song. I wasn´t convinced during the first verse but it really was very cool. And what was that Steeleye Span break all about? But the way, explosions are always cool things to end songs with, especially as, if I´m guessing correctly, they make dinosaurs extinct?

One negative - you should tighten up the bass, it does go a bit loose in places. Apart from that, all superb!

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 03:39:52 PM »
Hi Adam,

Some great lyrics which others have already mentioned and this ploughs it's own furrow in an original and very eccentric English way. Reminds me of John Otway and he had a record contract and hit records back in the days when such things made it past the corporate wall. Not my thing but I couldn't replicate this.

M

Sonny And The Dark

• Busker
    • Sonny And The Dark
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 08:52:52 AM »
Hi Adam really interesting! The lyrics are very unique, the sound of the opening guitar chords and bass is really smooth love it! The vocals  build up nicely throughout the song, I would be interested to hear what the verse vocals sound like with a bit of lofi saturation/distortion like the Strokes and maybe some added echo like Foster the People use on Pumped up Kicks. . Also at 1:34 - 1.35 it might help the transition to add a soft splash cymbal, to my ear it sounds like the singing part on "dinosaur" gets cut off. Of course that could be the sound you have in your head and in that case I would not want to discourage you from changing anything!

Well done mate :)

Sonny