By the sea

• 14 Replies

Fadow

• Busker
« on: March 09, 2019, 11:46:34 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/tributetoalexanderbatta/by-the-sea-1

Hi this is a song I wrote about three years ago. Again, my mate singing my song for me. Maybe one day, I will dare to post one of my songs with my voice. I think this time the recording is a bit better.  Two lines of second verse is changed as you can see in description.  By now I am a bit embarassed of its lyrics as they are quite cheesy....? And the melody might be not versatile enough.

I leave the song open to interpretation as it can have many meanings.

By the sea

I'm in love with a girl
with kaleidoscopic eyes   
she paints my world in pasty white                             
she turns my whole life around

We play where the nymphes sleep
in a kingdom by the sea
telling stories of the dreams we had
sitting by cemetery trees

If you ever, ever see her
please tell her that
my arms feel heavy and sore
From swimming across every sea
just to find her again
If I drown let me drown with her

I've tried to protect her in my dreams
from envious and raging seas
a chilling wind blew down our ship
separating you, my love and me

Once I woke up from the fever
a cold hand was caressing me
I found some flowers next to my bed
And then I woke up again

If you ever, ever see her
please tell her that
my arms feel heavy and sore
From swimming across every sea
just to find her again
If I drown let me drown with her
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 05:25:11 PM by Fadow »

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 10:58:43 AM »
Hi there, I liked the reflective indie vibe here, and the lyrics are interesting and cliche free. Nice song. It could stand uo to a fuller big band treatment too I think, but is also fine as a whimsical quieter piece.
It's all too beautiful.

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 08:22:28 PM »
I really like the song construction, and the melody is cool. Would have really have liked proper production though, maybe starting quite bare and gradually bringing in a full band until the end where it could tail off quietly. Very nice though.

Jack_Diamond.

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 07:19:43 PM »
The raw production works well for this track. The lyrics are cool, feels like a bit of a homage to The beatles' lucy in the sky with diamonds. Keep it up.

Sonny And The Dark

• Busker
    • Sonny And The Dark
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 10:23:38 AM »
Hey man this sounds really nice! I am getting a bit of an R.E.M vibe but in an completly original way. I personally think the less is more approach worked here.

jamesh

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 01:23:16 PM »
Lovely song that stands up on its own, though it would work with a full band also. Nothing wrong with the lyrics. They all sit well together in the song. From a recording perspective, I felt the vocal effects made them sound a bit distant, muffled maybe. A bit less reverb and some E.Q might help them cut through more. That said, Im listening on some Skype headphones, so that might colour things a bit.

James

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 01:10:43 PM »
Had a very enjoyable listen to this in my lunch hour. I might have whacked more reverb on the guitar solo... But I liked it just as it is.

Nothing wrong with those lyrics at all :-)

Nice!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 02:18:22 PM »
Yo Fadow.

This is a very enjoyable song. I too pick up the REM vibe,maybe this is a little sweeter,less acerbic than Stipe and the crew.

The song itself is strong,so it works as it is,or in a bigger production format.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 12:32:15 PM »
I like this song, it has a nice easy going feel to it. I also picked up on the REM vibe but I thought it had a slightly more folky edge. The lyrics aren´t cheesy at all.

The production could do with some work but that´s a work in progress for all of us. It stands out well on it´s own as a song, which is always a great thing. Very nice work.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 03:32:56 PM »
Hi,

Lovely song, well sung and played. Reminded me of early Neil Young which is an excellent thing. The recording is too "hot" which means the recording level was set too high which causes distortion and this can't be corrected later which is a shame because everything else about this is gorgeous.

M

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 04:21:58 PM »
Hi Fadow - great song - I liked the slightly "expressionist" lyrics and imagery, quite trippy. This has a hint of Smashing Pumpkins in there and maybe a bit of Stone Roses - that would be a combination I'd like to hear. I'm sure your voice is not that bad. Nice gentle atmosphere, good to listen to.

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 07:43:01 PM »
Nice song with lots of raw energy.

Lacks a bit in production, but lyrics are good.

Like the guitar solo.

An enjoyable listen.

Sandeep

Fadow

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 11:39:34 PM »
thank you for the feedback! Yes it stand on its own but I will do it again with some bigger treatment

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 08:48:59 AM »
I think that you're on a journey (as many of us are), honing you're writing skills. I like that you've taken the title and woven into the song elements of the sea, something that many writers omit to do. A little polishing here's and there, a little input from another writer/producer  and a crisp clear production would help you to realis the full potential of this song.

Well done

Paul

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 09:32:56 PM »
Hi Fadow. I really enjoyed this song. It had a lovely sixties vibe to it. I'm sure you know all the stuff about recording too loud. It was a great listen that is great as it is as I can feel what you put into it.