konalavadome

Life, curve balls and writing.

• 3 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: March 27, 2019, 10:43:19 PM »
I've been absent from the forum for a little while. Prior to taking a break, I wrote a song that I was extremely happy with called 'hopes and fears.'  I kind of thought, "yeah, I'm really happy with my writing ability and I'm right where I need to be in life"  then came the curve ball. 

At the end of January, my cousin passed away unexpectedly at a very young age after a sudden illness. This coincided with the end of my relationship in the same week. It was the end of a 5 year relationship. I had tried so hard to hold it together.  It knocked me off my feet and to some extent, I went a little of the rails and almost lost myself.  I left my job and moved across the country to be with my family. I quickly found a new job that I'm about start on Monday. 

I then wrote two songs out of plain necessity: 'No Valentine' and 'I Don't Have You.'  I then stopped whilst I searched for something to ground my life again.  I know that only time and love will help me to fully heal. I've managed to navigate to a place of peace but I'm wondering if I will ever find a strong desire to write again.  Writing comes so easily to me and I know that it is cathartic.  Is it normal to feel that you no longer wish to write and also that you have nothing left to prove? Perhaps, the Spring will arrive along with the sun and then the Summer. Perhaps life will calm and I'll settle further before the desire to be creative returns. Anyway, this at least explains my absence over the last couple of months.

Paul
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 11:01:13 PM by Wicked Deeds »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 01:11:23 AM »
My similar reaction was in January (the 18th) when my husband had a severe stroke. I was sure I would never again be interested in writing or singing or having anything to do with music.

I haven't been inspired to do any writing since then, but after a month or so, I did start doing a little guitar strumming and playing in the common area, which the staff and other patients have enjoyed (as have I). I didn't bring a guitar with me (I didn't have that kind of foresight when the stroke happened), but an Uber driver gave me one, so I've been using that.

I think it's a kind of numbness that happens and it eventually and gradually wears off. I think I'll get back to writing at some point.

Dogmax

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 03:26:55 AM »
When I read your lyric "The Valentine" the first thing I thought was this writer has gone through a breakup, your post here confirm it, good lyric by the way very real.

First of all I'm glad you're getting your life back on track again as for writing lyrics and songs it's like everything else it takes time.

I'm only starting to get back into writing lyrics myself although this time is completely different from the way I use to write, but anyway.

This is just a thought but what about you throwing a curveball into your lyric "The Valentine" you could end up with two completely different type of songs, but as I said just a thought.

Good luck in your new job

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 12:42:12 PM »
Sorry to hear you've had troubles there.

I think it might take some time for you to attend to these other parts of your life before you can get back into your stride.
These sort of upsets are not at all foreign to me, I've usually bounced back but I can't say I ever mastered those difficult situations.

I wish I could tell you.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly