konalavadome

Strange Affliction (Collab with Furry61)

• 23 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 07:49:36 PM »
I listened to this a week ago and remarked on it then,but I've been a bit behind in my forum comments. Sorry Alan.

I love the imagery conjured by the lyrics,not obvious,a little oblique. A reason to ponder and consider.

The song itself is the usual Mr.Walker quality and accessibility. The viola/violin? is as cosy as a log fire,sweet work,a lovely touch.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 11:58:31 AM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the comments - very useful and encouraging. Thanks to Geoff for having faith in me and for writing the lovely lyrics.

Great to hear a collab between you two guys. It's a lovely laid back piece of music complimented with some lovely acoustic guitar and fabulous vocals from you @montydog Alan. I read the lyrics several times as I wanted to understand the relationship between the music and the lyrics and the music complements the lyrics perfectly. I don't really understand the meaning of the lyrics though and how it fits in with the title. What is this strange affliction? What has it to do with the wind ? I guess a lot of top songs have multiple meanings so if I'm being particularly dense this evening,  please excuse that  :)

@pompeyjazz - Thanks for listening. As to the meaning of the vocals, well it seems like it's about how we're all pretty helpless in the face of our emotions and I think the wind is a simile for this. Just my take.

Hi Monty!

Nice song. Reminds me a bit of (late) Fleetwood Mac and Fairport Convention.
But also mellower 90's ballads, the good ones.

Martin

@Martinswede Thanks for commenting - I'll take those comparisons all day long!

Guys,

Really nice listen here.

Production is sweet, very tight and great sounding.

As ever those smooth montydog vocals.

Oh, nice strings too.

Top work.

@Cawproductions Great comments - really pleased you liked it.

Cool picking.

Love how the drums creep in and they sound brilliant especially with the ride cymbal bouncing it along.

Lyrics are good though I must confess I find your lyrics more interesting.

Strings are very well done and sound excellent...although at the end, it sounded as if they were enjoying themselves so much  they played an extra bar 😂

Quite tasty though. Great laconic vocals again. Nice collab!

@PaulAds That pesky string section didn't know when to stop - they get paid by the bar!

First impression: Really like the lyrics. The song is very soothing. Just thought something is not right in the verse regarding melody. Andwith the combination of melody and lyrics of the chorus the listener is in for a treat! Just the verse seems not right only if I listen to it long enough then I get used to it.  Sounds kinda choppy but maybe it is just the style of the song. Like it needs a fewmore highlights or versatile regarding the melody...Anyway, that is just me and I might be wrong. Just wrote down what I was thinking after listening to it 3-4 times.

@Fadow I think the melody is a good fit and I also think it's got plenty of interest so I have to say I don't agree with you on this. Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

Its a while since i use the word Wow  8)  but hey great control man nice to flow back into that first verse.

Really great collab guys  8)

@Dogmax Thanks for commenting. it is a luxury to be sent lyrics so you don't have to sweat on them - the beauty of a collab!

that chorus is a sweet killer..
words and vox just natural fit
at first i thought the verse melody was a little awkward
but as the song developed it became all part of the cunning walker hook plan  !
lovely mix an all..
fine work you fellows

@nooms Thanks man; means a lot. Glad you liked the hook which came easily - a relief for me because they are like hen's teeth.

Hello Alan
Really nice listen. Very professional.
When I first saw the title I thought of strange attraction by the cure.

Reading the lyrics threw the cure out of head. Excellent stuff. 

Well done.

@Rightly . Thank you for listening and commenting. Great comments.

Hi Alan - extremely smooth listen! For a strange affliction, I wondered if a little more tension would suit the mood somewhere... but the smoothness does conjure up a weary feeling too.

Eiderdown is a good word - slightly out of the norm which definitely add something I think.

Definitely intriguing which is a good thing.

@adamfarr Thank you for commenting. Yep, the eiderdown threw me a bit but it works.

I really like the lyrical idea - interesting and original perspective. Love the instrumental break - it fits beautifully. You’ve created a lovely folk song, right up my street.  I’m always struck by the warmth of your vocals. Chorus is just lovely and will stick with me I think.

Lovely stuff!

@MonnoDb - If the melody sticks with you, I'm happy.

I love the picking intro on this...and the song is really good. It reminds me a little of the Oysterband, if it were more up-tempo, but it certainly has the feel. The chorus is catchy and it´s nice to hear an instrumental break that isn´t guitar-based. The strings add a nice lush feel as the song progresses to the end. Really good.
@MartynRich Hi and thanks. I love the Oysterband (seen theme live twice) and that comparison is going in the book. Glad you liked the instrumentation.

Alan,
Your production just gets better and now complements your lyrics and vocals. All sounding fabulous.
Nice lyrics and I like the melody, chords progression and catchy chorus too.
Lush
 :) :)
neil

@Neil C . Great comments Neil. So pleased you have noticed an improvement in the production as that's one of your (many) strengths.

I listened to this a week ago and remarked on it then,but I've been a bit behind in my forum comments. Sorry Alan.

I love the imagery conjured by the lyrics,not obvious,a little oblique. A reason to ponder and consider.

The song itself is the usual Mr.Walker quality and accessibility. The viola/violin? is as cosy as a log fire,sweet work,a lovely touch.

@Skub Hi Davy - so pleased you liked it - you're my quality barometer :-)

Once again many thanks to all who took the time to listen and comment. You are too kind.

M

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 12:06:12 PM »
@montydog I´ve actually played the same stage as them a few times, twice in the UK and once in Denmark. Great bunch of guys!

Sonny And The Dark

• Busker
    • Sonny And The Dark
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 10:09:48 AM »
Hi Monty, the production is really great on this! Everything sounds really polished, very nice relaxed vocal delivery you have a alot of depth to your voice. Lyrics have a very earthy folk vibe to them.  Drums groove really well, love the fills between the transitions and also a great string arrangement too!

Furry61

• Busker
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 01:43:36 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the comments - very useful and encouraging. Thanks to Geoff for having faith in me and for writing the lovely lyrics.

Thanks Alan for doing such a great job on this one. Geoff

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2019, 01:17:23 AM »
Hi Alan and geoff (whom I know from that other forum  ;D)
Nice collab guys - each bringing your unique talents to the show.
Smooth vox and finger picking meet unique and interesting lyrics.
Good work I'd say.
Paul

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 07:22:59 AM »
Lovely music.  I liked the comparison to Fairport Convention.  Very folky. 

The lyric had some wonderful segments, but just a few too many parts that I didn't understand.  Sometimes that doesn't matter, but this lyric left me feeling like an outsider in the parts that I didn't get.   

It almost felt like a joke that everyone is getting but me. Reading the comments, I realize that others didn't get it either, but it still feels like "being left out" of a private joke.   
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 08:29:02 AM »
Great collab..particularly like the arrangement and your vocals are always pleasing to hear..
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Furry61

• Busker
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 09:22:46 AM »
Thanks all for the comments, it always amuses me when people comment on not understanding a lyric. This is deliberate sometimes as in this case. It is meant to evoke a feeling, hint at a subject but elude at the same time. Not everything has to be tied up in a lyrical bow. Geoff