konalavadome

experiences with Paypal anyone?

• 10 Replies

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« on: February 22, 2019, 12:16:54 PM »
Hi, been selling some photo gear on Ebay to fund my soundbooth and it became clear that using Ebay forces you onto Paypal..then Paypal proceeds to not let you have your money for various security reasons..then to try and get your money they force you to link the Paypal account with your bank account via a direct debit which enables them to take money from your account, I understand they need to protect themselves from peeps emptying the account when charges are due from selling on ebay but the whole experience has me a bit worried...

anyone using Payapal and can reassure me it's ok?

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 12:28:25 PM »
I have used PayPal for many years, now, and most of the time I have no problem. I have had my account linked to at least one bank account the entire time. I have never had any trouble getting my money, but I do sometimes have trouble sending money. Specifically, to Canada. And once a bank account is linked, I can't seem to get it unlinked. Ever. Even after I close the bank account (which I did solely because I couldn't unlink it).

So, I guess I can say it's been safe enough for me, but I find it quite annoying and inconvenient because there seems to be no way to correct the problems I've had, no matter how many times I report them, talk to them on the phone, etc. If PayPal had a decent competitor, I would switch in a flash. But for now, it's [mostly] working for me.

Vicki

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 12:36:05 PM »
Hi, thanks for your reply...it's a bit like facebook I reckon, just try and close your page..they make it very difficult and not being able to unlink your account...EH!!!..all a bit iffy really!, I just feel like they're taking the Pee because they can... >:(
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 07:13:25 PM »
I use them and have done for years,Kev.

I mostly just buy stuff,so I've not encountered your problem,though I have heard of others who've had funds frozen due to 'security'. I believe it's a temporary inconvenience,as things get resolved eventually when they realise you're not a scammer.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 08:03:51 AM »
Cheers Skub..feelin better already mate.. :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 11:23:52 AM »
@shadowfax I use PAYPAL regularly to pay and receive money

I have never had any issues whatsoever and they are now established enough to be seen as secure as a high street bank IMHO

They charge a commission for receiving money but it saves dishing out your personal bank info to everyone

With gazillions of customers now there are inevitably going to be some horror stories doing the rounds but I think you would be fine to take the plunge
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Dogmax

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 01:46:15 PM »
If you don't want to log your bank details you can use prepaid credit card

If this is a commercial my fees are higher than standard you know what I mean 😋  also I can put this in lyric style 📃

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 03:27:24 PM »
I'm not a fan of eBay or PayPal. I was, back in the day, but no more. I feel that the fees are just too high. I use craigslist and have used Facebook marketplace ( I deactivated my FB so not currently using marketplace) with very good success selling. Sure eBay gives you a bigger market of buyers, but to me its just not worth the price. Additionally, there are some flaky folks out there looking for an angle, and eBay and PayPal dont always do a good job of protecting the right party in a transaction.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 08:08:33 PM »
I've always been afraid of internet payments of all kinds.  In my mind, it's just a matter of time before some smart, unprincipled hacker type figures out a way around any security devices that can be put together.  My social security number, bank account numbers, etc. are not on my computer, let alone on the internet. 

I do realize I'm being overcautious.  Particularly since any amount of money I would be involved with is too small to be worth taking the time to steal.  Still, "even paranoics can have enemies."   On the rare occasion when I want to buy something that involves paypal, I have friends who I pay a fee to and they use their paypal accounts to order for me. 

Again, it's virtually certain that my approach is overcautious if not paranoid. . . but it's one viewpoint to consider. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 08:32:31 PM »
All your data is on the internet whether you put it there or not. SSN, bank acct...medical records, all of it.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 07:47:43 AM »
Cheers guy's..seems I was being a bit paranoid about Paypal being in control of my money from sales but it seems that once you perform the correct procedures on ebay it flows smoothly..thanks again.. :)

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!