konalavadome

Spotify and other hosting platforms.

• 13 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: February 13, 2019, 05:12:51 PM »
Lemme ask a question.

Is there any benefit to people like us who write songs for fun and perhaps because it's in us to express our creativity this way,to have our material hosted on the likes of Spotify,iTunes,etc?

I ask this because I have in the past used Distrokid to fulfil this task and as my subs have expired,they will soon delete my material.I find myself not much bothered,since the stuff has had practically no plays anyway. It's one thing to be up on these popular platforms and if you are chasing the dream,I can see why it's plausible. In reality my songs may be hosted,but no one knows they are there.

Back to the original question. Is it worthwhile?

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 05:42:23 PM »
Yes there is @Skub Davy - I use the Amuse App. It's completely free.

Basically you upload your single / album to dropbox and then use the app on your phone (there is no web based uploader) to enter details of the single / album

Two weeks later all your songs are released on Spotify, Deezer, iTunes, blah, blah, blah

And the pay you - I've made $2.47 from streaming plays this year  ;D

PM me if you need more info  :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 05:44:08 PM »
And to answer your original question, Is it worthwhile - Probably no, but at least your songs are out there and it ain't gonna cost you a bean  ;D

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 03:22:57 PM »
Doing the work on the phone would put me off John. Phone apps are way too fiddly for my patience levels.

I'll probably just let my subs with Distrokid expire,all that stuff gets no plays anyway.

Thanks for the Amuse alternative. Much appreciated John.  :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 10:40:44 AM »
Hey Skub
Personally I definitely think there is value in being hosted on these sites.
In my case, one of my main opportunities to listen to music is now my walk to work... a little 20 minute treat twice a day. I'd like to listen to more tracks from the forum but it'd take me twice as long to stop every three minutes, navigate to the next page on the forum, click the Soundcloud link, etc... plus the phone reception is patchy so it drops out.  Deezer allows me to download the track/album in advance and just let it roll.  For example I've just downloaded PJ's album for that purpose.  So yeah I reckon convenience unfortunately plays a big role in what people end up listening to these days given busy lifestyles, and the streaming sites just make you more accessible.
(If any of your stuff is on Deezer let me know and I'll queue you up for the walk too!  I couldn't find anything under 'Davy Vance').
Pauly
It's all too beautiful.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 09:48:27 PM »
Hey Pauly,Distrokid put my stuff on a load of platforms,more than I even knew existed. I'd never heard of Deezer,so I dunno if I'm on there or not.

I appreciate the gesture of listening to my songs,I'm chuffed you'd bother,but when I look at the meagre plays on Spotify etc..no plays at all on YouTube,then it all comes back to the logic of..yeah,the stuff is there,but it's invisible,so why would I be arsed going down this road.

There seems to be no interconnected community on Spotify,coupled with there being so much music posted every day,one person is like a drop in the ocean.

Edit..

@PaulyX  Apparently I am on Deezer,with the last album 'Flying Solo'.

See if the link works.

https://www.deezer.com/en/album/66642482
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 09:57:04 PM by Skub »

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 07:27:44 AM »
Yep found you on Deezer now Skub, consider yourself downloaded ready for my walk.
Yes the streaming sites are not marketing or community channels are they. I think Soundcloud is better for that. But wouldn't be much point promoting one's music unless people could then find it where they usually go for content. I suppose it just comes down to how accessible you want your stuff to be.
Antway you'll have some Deezer streams shortly!
It's all too beautiful.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 07:52:26 AM »
Looking at my streaming stats over the past year, I had a total of 400 streams. I suppose that's 400 better than BIG FAT ZERO  ;D

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 10:28:57 AM »
@pompeyjazz , well I think 400 is pretty good actually! I was reading recently that there are now millions of songs in the world that nobody wants to listen to, as making them is so much easier these days as most musicians have some kind of digital recording capability.

When I was a kid in a couple of bands, we would invest in a recording studio demo once in a blue moon, but maybe only about 10% of our stuff ever got recorded properly. These days you can record everything. But there aren't enough ears in the world to listen to it all. Which might be a good thing actually! :D

I guess most of us on here are hoping for some freak occurrence and one or two of our songs will actually get some proper exposure. But if you don't put them out there, well even that small chance happening is dead for starters. So keep on publishing, says me!  ;D it is fun after all...
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 10:35:13 AM »
I'm definitely keen on taking advantage of the chance to put my half-baked home-spun rubbish up there alongside the great and the good and the bad and the ugly.

It's almost certainly pointless for me...but quite a few people have shown a genuine astonishment that my stuff is there to listen to/buy/ignore.

Big thanks to John PJ for pointing me in the direction of Amuse.

And all for nowt, too. Amazing, really   :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 12:30:40 PM »
Whato @Skub - Hmmm not really for me to say, I don't do anything like that, I just let things grow organically, I'm only on SC and 1 song on bandcamp.

I don't want to charge folk to hear my work.

I'm using the combination between organic growth and it being free to see if there's a point where it takes off, I've noticed putting Korean titles in songs and tags (like #댄스 = dance) that were made with Korean artists result in more plays from Korea...can't say I'm surprised, but it also does'nt put UK listeners off either.

Is it worth it really depends on what you want out of it.

Rich

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 05:25:52 PM »
Glad I found this thread - reminded me to cancel my Tunecore subscription for an album that cost $50 per year, and made me $0.63!

Will look into the free options.

Canceling on Tunecore is quite a mission - they really don't want you to go!

Dave

PS - Had a go with Amuse - really easy to get an album loaded up, and I did it all via the PC so they must have added that ability recently.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:54:13 PM by dasntn »

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 06:27:53 PM »
Skub, I’ve made £2.95 from Pipe & Slippers Man. Simon Cowell will come across you eventually, stick at it man.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 07:59:14 PM »
Ta everyone,some good food for thought here.

Lol @MartynRich