konalavadome

Fake Or Fortune

• 20 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: February 13, 2019, 03:14:24 PM »
Here's a little number I just finished yesterday.

Every five minutes there seems to be a Yodel or Hermes van driving down our street, delivering "stuff" purchased on E-bay or Amazon.

Well, most stuff has potential for a song, doesn't it  :)

Jumped genres on this one again and tried to get inta da groove  ;D

Fake Or Fortune

Here's a package that's come all the way from China
Sailed the seven seas
Another rip-off of another top designer
Send it to me please

We're making thousands every day
To pack containers heading off your way

Another vase, another trinket
Another scarf, another fit-bit – Yeah !

Cut price baggage is the obly way to travel
Bring it on
Nike, Reebok, Adidas, Everything we make is class
Fashion, what a con

We make a fortune out of shoes
That don't quite fit, but you're the one to lose

Another vase, another trinket
Another scarf, another fit-bit – Yeah !

(c) Bradley - 2019

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 05:33:14 PM »
Yo pomps.

That sproingy bass sound is just lovely,any tips on how you managed that. I can seem to do 'low and rumble' and that's it!  ::)

There is a lot going on in this track,yet you avoid the sound being cluttered. Cool trick.

I dig the whole track,but I'm not sure about the ending. I have however,no idea what else you would do!  :D

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 06:57:04 PM »
Hey Pompey Firstly love the lyrics. We are killing the planet to satisfy our pointless shallow material needs. I know thats not your core point but it resonates for me on this level. The song itself is very listenable. Almost an easy listening vibe with a bit of a darker alternative edge. I don't think there's anything that can be improved on. It's another quality addition to your massive repertoire!

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 09:44:50 PM »
the production is really great.  i wish i could get to this level of recording.  i like your singing too.  you have a nice vocal tone.

curious about the song, and where this comes from within you.  its such a bizarre subject.  what is your idea of an intended audience or purpose for such a song?  i hope that question comes out how i intend it.  I mean, the song is good, i appreciate the lyric, the melody, the music, but its quite unusual and far from any genre i can find to compare it with.  what is the influence? 

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 10:00:46 PM »
@mikek That is a very good question indeed. I guess I don't consider myself genre specific although my roots are punk / alternative. Tbh I sometimes really struggle with lyrics, in fact I do most of the time. Having said that there is stuff going on every day in people's lifes that never gets written about. I've never been into writing conventional songs and I'm not aiming at any audiences. It's just my music, it comes from the heart and it reflects who I am. I'm not expecting any accolades or anything like that. I'm just some bloke banging out music when I can in the spare room  :)

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 10:10:16 PM »
Yeah man, I completely respect that. Well done. Thank you

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 10:22:42 PM »
Cool man @mikek and if you're ever into working on a collaboration I would be well up for it  :)

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 10:58:06 PM »
I would enjoy that

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 12:43:05 AM »
I really enjoyed this one @pompeyjazz  and you're right, it's quite different from what you usually do, so good on you for stepping out of your comfort zone.  8)
If I was just listening to the music of this track, I would have guessed it was a love song, but this subject matter gives it an unusual twist,
which I love.  :-*  People are buying so much on line now, but the whole idea of buying shoes on line seems a little iffy to me. When I was a kid we'd go to a shoe store to be fitted by someone trained to do so  ::)
Very well produced and arranged...the backing track is so interesting...awesome bass line!  Love the lyrics and your vocals sound great :)

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 10:41:09 AM »
John....it´s not my cup of tea  :'( :'( :'( :'(

I love the lyrics and the message but the music reminds me a little of the 80s and 90s beats I used to avoid...The production is superb and I do applaud you doing something different but they way you´ve put it together, for me, loses some of the passion I normally associate with you. I´m not sure why. I could really imagine those lyrics going to a two-tone sound and backing, snarling a real attitude to our fake material world. As ever, your performance is top notch however. It´s just the style that I´m not feeling.

You know I´m always honest...it doesn't´t mean I´m right or that others won´t like. In fact, because of what I´ve said it´ll probably be a worldwide hit.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 09:42:10 PM »
Hey Pomps,
I got a strong late 80s vibe from it too, but I enjoyed it as a kind of pastiche of that... It made me think of Tears for Fears around the "Songs from the Big Chair" / "Seeds of Love" era.  That wet-sounding bass was tasty and probably a big part of its 80s-ness.
I do love the way you can take any every day prosaic subject (supermarkets, mobile phones, drones come to mind...) and turn them into an interesting topic for a song - this is no exception, you make the mundane seem exotic once again. (So here's a challenge for you: "The Lamp Posts of Milton Keynes". I'll bet you can do it.  ;) )
I like the non-obvious chord progressions too.  Classy and retro, slick plastic soul. Thumbs up.
Pauly
It's all too beautiful.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 10:32:06 PM »
The Lamp Posts of Milton Keynes?? Now there's a challenge although I've already written one about MK  ;D 80s,  Some good, lot of bad but lots of interesting stuff to discover as always Cheers @PaulyX  8)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 09:52:08 AM »
Smooth and pretty cool, PJ  :)

How fondly I remember the smugness and arrogance of the label-clothed cocktail bar 80s dudes...wirh their little crocodile motif shirts, pod shoes and slightly too short chinos...now the smugness and arrogance can be everyones... at only a fraction of the price of the real deal gear... Aarrgghh  ::)

Anyway... I think its totally necessary to try different styles and this works really well. Vocals and lyrics are spot on. Instrumentation works great too. Nice sounds. It also means you can then tear back into your more traditional stuff with renewed vigour.

It's like a slug of truth serum slipped into some ghastly casanovas drink via an ingeniously discrete drug-administering cocktail umbrella.

Serves the bastard right, too  :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 09:53:53 AM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 12:26:08 PM »
You do seem to get your lyric inspiration from all kinds of places that wouldn't occur to many! Another subject I couldn't imagine myself having chosen, but good job and nice idea.

As I was listening, I was wondering what it would be like at a faster tempo, maybe 10 or 20 bpm faster. Just a thought?

Vocals are good on this for sure, cool harmonies and as has been mentioned the production is really good, and I think the beat and overall vibe was definitely worth the experiment. Shows off your undoubted versatility very well!  ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

dinnerwithgreedo

• Platinum Album
    • Facebook fanpage
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 04:18:09 PM »
I really liked the bit that goes 'another vase another trinket', it felt like a good musical change.
Remember.... it's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right. Although i probably am ;)