POW TOWN TANGO

• 29 Replies

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« on: February 13, 2019, 12:43:32 PM »
Hi guys,

Here's a song I wrote for a "write a song about your home town" challenge a while ago :) I don't know why I decided to put it to a Latin groove, cause my home town is far from it and it was a bit of a stretch for me, but it's just a bit of fun...nothing too serious going on, although I think I portrayed my town fairly well  ;D
I hope you enjoy and any productive feedback is most welcome. How's the mix sound?  ::)

https://soundcloud.com/crystalsuzy/pow-town-tango

My hometown was built on an ocean, spread out over a hill
The first industry became, the worlds largest paper mill
It has the shortest river and deepest lake, which makes it very special
Surrounded by inlets and mountains; kind’a looks like a giant pretzel

My home town is a very, very cool; lots of rivers and lakes
It’s like one big swimming pool
Buckets of rain grow lots of trees; makes it very green
But their pollen can make you sneeze 
Powtown…Powtown!

Powtown has many festivals, and we love to volunteer
Throw backs from the 60’s, creates a ‘love in’ atmosphere
We gorge on delicious seafood, at the Shellfish Festival
But some look kind of ugly, like inflated genitals

Our Powtown is a very, very cool; we co-inhabit with
Wildlife, in nature’s school
We’re even famous for our very own word
A zunga is a swing rope, in case you haven’t heard
Powtown…Powtown!

~RAP~
Powtown knows how to get down, break down
Fall down, get back up, and turn it around
Crack down, on those who frown
Howl like hounds and act like clowns
Hands down, we’re on common ground
Cause we’re unique with our own special sound
Pow! Pow! Powtown!

Diversity rules and no one’s cruel
In a cesspool of fresh stool
A gene pool of diverse molecules
Turns into gruel in our state of the art, vestibule
Then into fuel for our fish schools
We’re no fools cause we got the tools
To grow supper, weed!
Pow! Pow! Powtown!

We look out onto the ocean, with mountains far away
The view is really stunning; watching the whales jump and play
Seagulls soar high above, as the sunsets in the distance
What more could anyone want, to enhance their existence
Powtown…Powtown!

Our Powtown is very, very cool; we’re so darn laid back, ya
We are no fools
We brew our own beer and grow lots of pot
We’re very friendly ya, a very smart lot

Our Powtown is a very, very cool; it’s like an island, ya
An isolated jewel
The only way in is on a ferry or plane
Often cancelled due to wind and rain
Powtown…Powtown!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 12:47:16 PM by crystalsuzy »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 09:29:01 AM »
Hi @crystalsuzy

Powtown sounds like a really groovy place to live. I'm sure it's even more groovy since the liberalisation of the laws  ;)

And those shellfish - Yeah, I've seen some of them at our local fish market as well.

This is a very clever piece of work, I love your vocal / bv work on this, great latin vibe and a rap as well !

Lyrics are intriguing and entertaining - I loved this  :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 10:23:40 AM »
Hi CS

I heard this one some time ago, and I LOVE it, and stood out in my memory, and is a subliminal (I heard COW town first time round  8)) really really cool.

A plate of crabs please..

Rich

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 11:33:46 AM »
Hi!

Great song!
It really turned my lone depressing lazy-space laundry day around. I might even start planning my vacation.

I'd planned posting a motivational speech for The Spring Quest today, but this song does it a whole lot better.

Martin

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 05:03:53 PM »
Hey!

:) :) You could put a gun to my head with the instruction not to smile, and I'd die in seconds! So much fun!

Pow Town sounds like a wonderfully magical place, and your song comes across with very genuine pride and happiness. Love the mix of interesting facts contrasted with playful similes.

You seem to have a knack for mixing between styles within a single track, very smooth transitions and everything contributed to the whole. Latin groove just conveys that joy really well, makes me picture your town covered in sand, palm trees and jungle.

Really invites the listener to come try some of this local beer, festivals and super weed!

All the best,
Scott!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 08:41:20 PM »
Well that was fun. Sounds like you live in boho heaven.
Latin grooves are not normally my thing but it fitted the mood of the track well.
Mad lyrics are the highlight (not sure about the 'cesspool of fresh stool' though... maybe a bit too graphic for dinner time  :-[). An off the wall musical guidebook.
It's all too beautiful.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 10:04:36 PM »
Really enjoyed this one, CS. I always do!

Had a couple of listens...sassy vocals and a real fun track...still with that element of wackiness that I love...but much more to it than just that. Especially like the way it keeps changing gear....seemed to be over much quicker than its running time...always a good sign!

Always very intelligent and unpredictable...you're a one-off.

Super cool  8)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 12:44:30 AM »
Hi @crystalsuzy

Powtown sounds like a really groovy place to live. I'm sure it's even more groovy since the liberalisation of the laws  ;)

And those shellfish - Yeah, I've seen some of them at our local fish market as well.

This is a very clever piece of work, I love your vocal / bv work on this, great latin vibe and a rap as well !

Lyrics are intriguing and entertaining - I loved this  :)

Thanks for taking a listen @pompeyjazz  :) Ya, Pow Town is a pretty cool place to live in so many ways. Glad the line about the sea food
resonated with you. I was hoping it wouldn't be to far over the top ::)
Thanks again for your kind words  :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 12:47:10 AM »
Hi CS

I heard this one some time ago, and I LOVE it, and stood out in my memory, and is a subliminal (I heard COW town first time round  8)) really really cool.

A plate of crabs please..

Rich

Thanks so much Rich, I'm glad you LOVE it   :-*  I actually thought of writing Pow Town ain't no cow town but it never happened  ::)

A plate of crabs please...LOL!  ;D

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 12:50:29 AM »
Hi!

Great song!
It really turned my lone depressing lazy-space laundry day around. I might even start planning my vacation.

I'd planned posting a motivational speech for The Spring Quest today, but this song does it a whole lot better.

Martin

So happy to hear that this song turned your depressing lazy day into something more upbeat and productive  ;D
What better reaction could there be, so thanks muchly  :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 04:17:52 AM »
Hey!

:) :) You could put a gun to my head with the instruction not to smile, and I'd die in seconds! So much fun!

Pow Town sounds like a wonderfully magical place, and your song comes across with very genuine pride and happiness. Love the mix of interesting facts contrasted with playful similes.

You seem to have a knack for mixing between styles within a single track, very smooth transitions and everything contributed to the whole. Latin groove just conveys that joy really well, makes me picture your town covered in sand, palm trees and jungle.

Really invites the listener to come try some of this local beer, festivals and super weed!

All the best,
Scott!
LOL, @ScottLevi  ;D  I'm so happy it put a smile on your face...no guns going to your head :) Pow Town is a magical place in many ways, but I'm afraid it doesn't have palm trees or jungle. It has a lot of beaches, but not necessarily a lot of sand ;) I'm glad the Latin vibe worked for you.
Maybe my home town should use this song as an advertising to bring tourists here  ;D

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 12:34:09 PM »
Brilliant images here, from the pretzels through the genitals to the molecules... Love it!

Those details bring it to life. The backing makes it sound almost more Caribbean than Canadian but a clever choice I think.

Was wondering about the title (Prisoners of War? let's not go there...) but thankfully Mr Google knows where zungas come from.

Cool stuff.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 08:16:20 PM »
Well this is different CS! Love the groove and the piano...you nailed a great beat here. The lyrics are hilarious as well - I want some of that homegrown beer.

I love the bit where you go into the "rap", and then segue back with those choral voices...

You must love where you live by the way. Very cool song indeed, as always  :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 12:30:45 PM »
Well that was fun. Sounds like you live in boho heaven.
Latin grooves are not normally my thing but it fitted the mood of the track well.
Mad lyrics are the highlight (not sure about the 'cesspool of fresh stool' though... maybe a bit too graphic for dinner time  :-[). An off the wall musical guidebook.

thanks @PaulyX  :) Glad you found it fun cause that's what it's suppose to be  ;D  Latin is not really my thing either, but for some reason it resonated with this song ::)
I was hoping nobody would notice the 'fresh stool' line in the rap :-[   I've actually re-written that part, but I haven't got around to
re-recording it yet :P 

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 12:38:41 PM »
@crystalsuzy - It's perfect as it is...it's rock'n'roll remember. It was the fresh stool line that did it for me, I'm one to revolt against convention, it you change nothing...nothing changes.

I can just hear The Pistols "Oh maybe we should include that line, someone might take offence" it is what it is, keep it in, I'll just avoid listening to it when I'm tucking into my toad in the 'ole  8)

Lovely song CS

Rich