If you can write songs...

• 19 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: February 13, 2019, 10:30:26 AM »
Why not get more involved in the wider forum community and write one especially for this...

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=16288.msg155128;topicseen#msg155128

See if there really is life beyond the "feedback on finished songs" section  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 12:17:19 PM »
Not sure about any of the other newer participants to the forum....I can only speak for myself here...

I dont understand about half of what you guys are talking about in these one off competition threads

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 01:03:43 PM »
@mikek ... Me either, but in the past I've just jumped in, found someone who knew what s/he was doing to collaborate with, and took a shot. Or even just took a shot on my own (although, I always need help with production). I still don't know what I'm doing, but I do my best. People on the forum are, for the most part, very willing to answer questions and generally help out.

If you're interested in giving it a go, don't let a lack of information or knowledge stop you.

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 01:13:14 PM »
I'm just trying to explain why I dont participate. The discussion is too cryptic for me to follow. I lack the tribal knowledge to follow along and the guidelines are too vauge.

YMMV

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 01:42:17 PM »
It's not just you Mike.  The guidelines are way to cryptic for me!

I don't know how many times I read it and was still none the wiser.  I thought it was just me being thick.  :D

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 01:50:15 PM »
Idem.

Something about collaborating in the spirit of unity. I´m up for it but I´m a bastard to work with.

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 02:01:44 PM »
I'm with you @mikek, I totally don't get it at all. Not that I mind, I never found any joy in trying to write songs in a certain style/theme whatever. For me, a song comes when it comes..
Just like irl, I can't pee until it's time time to and when it's time I have to  ;D ;D ;D

Ymmv of course.

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 02:42:42 PM »
Writing In a certain style ...yeah....if its a style I don't like, why write it?

This past summer I got involved locally in a song swap meet up with a few other writers...my goal was to bring a totally new song each time. We met bi-weekly. It was a very productive time for me. It made me accountable, and I pushed myself to write rather than my normal, Zen approach.

So, I may be interested in something that motivates me...but I need a clear understanding in order to decide. I'm not a jump in and then learn to swim person.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 02:43:38 PM »
I must be on some kind of shared wavelength with @Martinswede , as I thought the challenge to be fairly straightforward, if generously loose on rules.

If I am right:

1. The competition is called Spring Quest. But it would be better off being called Collaboration Challenge, as collabs are what it is trying to encourage. So basically hook up with someone on the forum and write a song together, or collaborate in some other way, eg guest vocals, guest production etc. (But collaboration isn't absolutely essential, told you it was 'loose', but is definitely encouraged.)

2. The song can be about ANYTHING. But if you are stuck for a theme, then the theme of 'exotic' is offered up as a starter idea, Again not essential to use it.

So in summary. Hook up with someone on the forum and write a song about whatever you like!  ;D Easy!  ;D  ;D  ;D

My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 02:49:11 PM »
And extra points for exotic or something....what, pray tell is exotic?

And its a Collab, but you dont have to collab... ::)

I also read something about take some other song and rewrite it in a different style or some such or other

Not trying to be obtuse, honest. The thread is all over the map

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 02:50:58 PM »
I think we may be overthinking a bit here?!

Though if the general impression is that this is too opaque or "cliquey" in some way then the point is worth resolving, as I've never felt that and certainly don't believe that is anyone's intention.

The bottom line is write and record a new song, preferably with someone new. This time no particular theme but a suggestion is "exotic". When we're done people can vote on the ones they like best.

No upside except the pleasure, no downside except spending a bit of time, and no pressure to do anything, of course.

I have said I'll help with the organisation and voting and you can PM me or MartinSwede with any doubts.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:57:15 PM by adamfarr »

mikek

• Open Mic
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 02:59:05 PM »
The OP post made me assume there is a desire to increase participation.

Several of us are weighing in on our hesitation to participate. 

I'm not getting a clear picture of how the thing works.

Specific information is the most helpful, including dates, deadlines, more concrete rules, etc...definitiin of terms ....like. "Exotic"

Still quite fuzzy on these items

@adamfarr I wasnt suggesting anything is 'clique-ish' really just trying to provide some honest feedback on why I am personally reluctant to make a try at the contest. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 04:03:29 PM by mikek »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 03:27:03 PM »
I think Exotic is a theme. That's totally down to your own interpretation. It could be a song about an exotic person,  place or experience or the music could have an exotic theme. Anyway, my interpretation is pretty simple, write a song, hook up for a collab if you want, post, vote, ENJOY  :)

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 03:55:38 PM »
Yeah don't think vague.....think 'Hey I can pretty much do whatever I want' for this competition.....very open!

Inspired by the idea of mixing different genres (as discussed in the other thread) I will be trying to morph a song which I had in mind to be Big Band but is turning out more like late 50s Fats Domino or something into some sort of Ska/Reggae thing especially now that I've read that those ska pioneers were very fond of Fats. Might not work!

If the comp makes me get a song finished I'm up for it.

So just go for it guys.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 04:23:15 PM »
  • Dates / deadlines: starts now, post the finished song by 31 March 2019 (idea is that with a bit more time we'll get more songs. Colaborations sometimes take more time, and those involved in FAWM may be concentrating on that during February).
  • Definition of terms like "Exotic": deliberately no definition! The idea is that this is inclusive and not exclusive and creativity is encouraged. Exotic instruments, characters, lyrical ideas, stories... No limits. And no song will be excluded because of its interpretation of the "theme".
  • Rules: not a lot more to add. Songs should be posted with an indication that they are intended for the competition and we'll put together a full list of entrants for voting. There are no prizes except for bragging rights. You can't vote for your own song. You need to vote to win. As colaborations have two or more people excluded from voting we'll try to even it up a bit by giving them some of the missing votes automatically (duo=2 points, trio=3 points etc.) People vote for their top three (1st=3 points, 2nd=2 points, 3rd=1 point) over a two week period so by 15 April we should be done except for the speeches.
It would be great to think that at the end of this we could have 20 or more new songs that wouldn't have seen the light of day otherwise and some new sounds from diverse colaborations. I'd echo the others who've said please don't doubt and instead feel very free to get involved with a song.

We'll add the above and any other questions to the "rules" so that everyone has them to hand.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 04:25:08 PM by adamfarr »