Walking Shadow

• 16 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: February 07, 2019, 12:52:46 PM »
Hi everyone,

Another new one from me. This was inspired by the inscription on Salisbury Cathedral's sun dial which says "Life Is A Walking Shadow" which seems so apt on a sun dial and a great way to look at life, particularly for the older members among us. I hope you like it and feel moved to comment one way or the other.

M

https://soundcloud.com/alan-walker-4/walking-shadow

This life is just a walking shadow
Halting steps towards tomorrow
We'll never pass
This way again

You give your best, you beg, you borrow
All the lies you try to swallow
Are in the past
And on the wind

Burn your bridges one by one
Turn your face up to the sun
You never heard the starting gun
There's no more races to be run

All the roads beneath your feet
And all people in the street
Just dusted ghosts
Laid in the clay

Then one day you turn and listen
To all the words that you've written
But the sounds
Are far away

Burn your bridges one by one
Turn your face up to the sun
You never heard the starting gun
There's no more races to be run

In the distance crows are calling
Light is fading night is falling
Under the stars
You kneel and pray
For just another day of reason
Another month, one last season
A final time
Around the dial

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 01:21:49 PM »
Some great lines in this...a final time around the dial in particular is a bobby dazzler as folks used to say around these parts. Sounds, playing and production all top notch once more. Its totally not my thing but lyrics this good really shouldn't go unnoticed.

No wonder those Russian guys wanted to visit the cathedral  :-X
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 03:53:05 PM »
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,signifying nothing.

Old Willy had some lines.  :)

I'm a miserable soul at heart,so this appeals to me greatly Alan. I think as we age,we tend toward the reflective and often downright morose,but this trods the line between meditative and nihilistic just nicely.

Deep observations wrapped in comfy slippers.  8)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 04:01:18 PM by Skub »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 05:16:23 PM »
That's an impressive sundial for sure Alan. Although of course sundials are fundamentally flawed in their design and particularly non-effective in this country where we lack our sunshine quotas. I suppose it was a good excuse for turning up late for furrowing the field back in the day.

I digress - Very well put together lyrics, contemplative and slightly sad. Your arrangements, playing and production are top class and topped off with your velvety voice. Nice geetar break  :)

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 07:58:58 PM »
Great lyrics, lovely vocal appropriately melancholic... playing and production top notch.. just lovely. I always like your songs @montydog - think this might me my favourite so far...

Furry61

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 01:48:21 PM »
Hi Alan, it's a pretty nice lyric and as always your vocal and the production is great. Hopefully you have a few miles left on the old clock and a few more trips around the sundial my friend. Geoff

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 06:25:40 PM »
Quite a languid and melancholic number, where I particularly liked the slow reveal of the chorus which is a contrast to the easily memorised rhythm of the verse melody.

The backing track is just lovely with all its gentle subtleties.

The reference to the dial quite late into the song might be a bit confusing though, without having read your intro blurb, but hey. everything does not have to be taken so literally!

Nicely sung and reflectively delivered all round!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 02:15:20 AM »
The melancholy sound suits my mood these days. And I always enjoy the sound of your voice.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 11:04:13 AM »
Lovely song, great melancholic feel. I particularly like the Hawaiian guitar backing, really wistful and evocative. Excellent production ( as usual) and strong lyrics. (Don't know if the Pink Floyd reference about "missing the starting gun" was deliberate, but caused to remind me one of my all time favorite songs about aging: "Time".)

Nice job,

Kevin

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 11:22:09 AM »
lovely song
with a seemingly effortless delivery, the sign of a pro
I*ve to it a few times, very relate-able imagery

this forum is my go to site for good music.

Another top song. Well done Montydog!

It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 11:31:16 PM »
Great melancholy country vibe. I remember seeing Keith Richards talking about his old mate Gram Parsons, and how he had this thing he called ‘high lonesome’ in all his music. I thought this track had that: ‘high lonesome’. Brilliant slide guitars and vocal delivery, and powerful lyrics.
It's all too beautiful.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 09:35:31 AM »
Hi Alan,

not sure how you manage it, but this is way up there with your best.

Keith

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 12:28:00 PM »
Great song concept - the final time around the dial is such a good line I think I'd have used it again at the end in a strong and memorable position!
I'm not a fan of slide guitars at all, but boy are they effective for creating a sad atmosphere!
Very nice work.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 05:43:40 PM »
I really like this Alan, it´s great to hear your stuff again. I can imagine some kind of country audience all raising their lighters at this one. The music and arrangement are exquisite as always and the lyrics are as thoughtful as they can be. The first three notes of the guitar solo made me jump but I reckon I had been lulled into a meditative state by then...that must be some special quality you have. Great stuff mate.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 02:23:10 AM »
This is definitely up there with your best Alan. It kind of lulls you into a reflective state of acceptance about our fate (dusted ghosts
laid in the clay), as we make our way around the never ending "sundial" of life  :) It's sad in a way, but that's life, and we enjoy it for what it is 8)
Pure poetry as always, beautifully sung and so well produced :) Loved every minute of it  :-*