Stan

• 6 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: February 04, 2019, 10:38:38 PM »
I find that sometimes dissecting a cover version can be fascinating so I did one recently. Loved it when I was about 12 and have a new respect for the guys now. Wrong side of The Midlands to get the vocals right though  :D

Just a bit of fun, hopefully  :)

Listen to My Friend Stan (Slade Cover) by pompeyjazz #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/my-friend-stan-slade-cover

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 06:07:12 PM »
@NoddyJazz  :P

It's surprising what information can be gathered by having to learn covers,even stuff you don't like may have little nuggets in there which you can steal learn from.  :)

The years I spent playing the wedding/corporate scene may not have been the high point of creativity,but man I took some ammunition from that time!  :D

I dig the cover Johnny/Noddy,your voice is well suited to this. Maybe a tribute act to earn a few quid? I'd pay just to see you in the gear of the era!  :D

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 07:36:44 PM »
I always really liked Slade...my older brother was big fan back then.

Not an easy task taking on Noddy's vocals but you carried this off like you were shelling peas.

Most enjoyable. Spelt correctly, though...minus 1 point  :P
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 07:56:13 PM »
Hey @PaulAds

John could be the boy with the 20 inch...uh...platform shoes.  :D

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 08:01:53 PM »
Great stuff @pompeyjazz , I still enjoy listening to Slade even now, I saw them a couple of times in the early eighties and they were one of the best live acts I've seen, you have done this justice, which isn't easy with Noddy's unique vocals, well done mate.

Cheers, Mikey

PS, just to let you know, Come Back Baby has made it to final selection for a TV series placement

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 09:36:17 PM »
@PaulAds @Skub @Mikey

Thanks so much guys. Slade could really rock for sure. That's why I loved them so much when I was growing up I suppose.

I'm afraid I won't be donning any of that gear but when I think of some of the stuff I used to wear on stage in the early 80s.... Thankfully no photographic evidence exists as far as I know. The one guy who did have photos had his house flooded.

Maybe that's another thread.....

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 11:20:25 PM »
Man, I enjoyed that cover.
I was just slightly too young for Slade in their prime, and had to learn about them retrospectively.  I remember "Run Run Away" being in the charts and loving it (early 80s? 82?) but can't remember the glam rock era first hand... which is when I gather they ruled the world?  Anyway, Noddy had a fantastic voice and you do that justice here John.  Good track, great cover... particularly your gritty vocals.  Now buy some platform boots and grow some mahusive sideburns to complete the tribute?
It's all too beautiful.