konalavadome

Keep Listening

• 11 Replies

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« on: January 31, 2019, 02:44:45 PM »
It's been a while, but nice to be back and see so many familar names being active here ...

This is a new one from me and my collaborator under the band "History of Trust". It a sort of hymn to the search for meaning in the universe. Hope you like it and comments are welcome

https://www.reverbnation.com/historyoftrust/song/30441655-keep-listening-listen

Keep Listening

You listen to the stars, there must be something out there
You're trawling through the sounds, there must be something out there

Chorus
Deep in your soul everything you know
Tells you that it's true
Tells that you must ...
Keep on Listening
Keep on Searching

You're staring at the night, there must be something out there
So many points of light, there must be someone up there

Chorus

Who's out there?
Who's out there?

Chorus

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 05:35:26 PM »
Your work is always of a high standard and this is no different. An excellent nuanced song. Loving the simple subtle backing and the lyrics and vocals are great and we'll delivered. I suspect this song will reward multiple listens too.
One thing I didn't like was the rim shot. It's way too high in the mix and overpowers the rest of the music. I had to tune it out when listening to appreciate the quality of the rest of the instruments. I strongly recommend you lower it in the mix or rethink the percussion completely. Cheers Micky

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 09:51:45 PM »
Hey, that has a nice chilled sleepy vibe.  I like the words a lot and also the bassline.  Felt like a good song to listen to when feeling a bit crestfallen at 2 AM, lonely in a bar somewhere... it felt kind of hopeful and melancholy at the same time, so nicely nuanced.
It's all too beautiful.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 10:19:48 PM »
Hi Kev. Lovely to hear from you again. Seems like a long time. Very mellow man and some tasty stuff going down. It's a sleepy slinky drive vibe. Great to hear you back on the forum man  :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 01:21:09 PM »
Very nice indeed. really liked the restrained guitar.

LOVE the 'live room' sound on the LVox, very nice, and the bass, and the rhodes, all lovely.

Micky is right the rimshot is a tad high in the mix (not much).

Not too keen on the heavy verb on the brass, maybe los that altogether, doesn't bring much to the song, maybe add a few more BVox lines instead.

Hope this helps

Rich

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 11:18:11 AM »
Hello, very chilli song. I like the relaxed feeling. I don't like the doubling of the voice. Sounds some kind of distracting for me but may it is only me.
Very well done.
Alexander
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 02:40:43 PM »
Yo Kevin,good to see you around again.  :)

There's a fine,chilled vibe with this one. I love music with space to breathe,I always seem to end up filling those spaces instead of letting them speak. Good for you for resisting that temptation.

I'd tend to agree with CPM,the keys section around 1.59 took me out of the song mood a little,maybe a tad harsh for the song?

A very pleasant listen.  8)

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 10:45:52 PM »
Heya, been gone a while myself so not noticed the departure, lucky me for picking a good time to pop in for a listen!

Generally read through the liyrics before listening, and enjoy the stripped back approach, saying all that needs to be said with elegance, and no more. Already immerced in that eaary, expansive universe before listening.

Music and vocal adds to the immersion, incredibly so. Really impressed by the execution of the concept to create that definite feeling - but then to make such a fantastic all-round listen on top of that, bravo.

Nothing constructive sorry, I'll keep on listening.

Cheers,
Scott.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 10:16:42 AM »
Hi Kev,

a nice relaxing introduction to a wintery Sunday morning. I really liked your song. I'm not sure about the abrupt ending though. I'd have faded it out or thought of another way to bring the song to a conclusion.

Keith

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 05:31:31 PM »
+1 on the rimshot but that aside the mix is fab. Big and lush. Love the keys and the vocals (and the rest as well!) D***, that rimshot is irritating :-)
The keys that drops in at the 2 minutes mark was a bit piercing, I'd turn that down a bit.
The ending was a bit abrupt, I'm not a big fan of fade outs but here I'd say it would work well.
Minor nits of course, great song and executing
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 05:35:15 PM by Jambrains »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 07:03:55 PM »
Very enjoyable listening. I think it was the quality of the vocal that held my interest the most...and although it didn't really go anywhere...it didn't need to. Twas just a very nice and interesting song. Quality stuff.

I also found the ending a little abru
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 03:32:10 PM »
I agree on the rimshot but the rest is perfectly played and arranged. I agree with Davy about the spaces you've left. Great late night, introspective vibe. I loved the organ playing and the extra sounds you introduce throughout the song. Lovely thing indeed.

M