Songs Of The Apple Tree

• 17 Replies

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2019, 11:02:55 AM »
Great and full of nostalgia as Binladeda mentioned. Like it from 0.00 till 4.08.
Folk at it's best. Thank you my friend for this wonderful song.
Alexander
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 10:59:30 PM »
Hey Alan,

That's some lovely writing, very nicely put together and really takes the reader along with it. Very nice theme, I bought inyo it and the references to Spring had added enjoyment due to taking the mind away from the cold dark winter. It's funny how well you can lead the listener (or me at least) to root (no pun intended) for the tree, it's my hero by the of the song.

Great driving guitar to reinforce the life behind it and cheerful accompaniment all works in favour. Always feels ballsy to strip back the music and go solo vocal, but the end here really slapped me in the face, then sucked me right into where I needed to be.

Nothing constructive sorry, loved it.

Cheers,
Scott.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2019, 03:19:26 PM »
Hi folks,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

Hey Alan,

That's some lovely writing, very nicely put together and really takes the reader along with it. Very nice theme, I bought inyo it and the references to Spring had added enjoyment due to taking the mind away from the cold dark winter. It's funny how well you can lead the listener (or me at least) to root (no pun intended) for the tree, it's my hero by the of the song.

Great driving guitar to reinforce the life behind it and cheerful accompaniment all works in favour. Always feels ballsy to strip back the music and go solo vocal, but the end here really slapped me in the face, then sucked me right into where I needed to be.

Nothing constructive sorry, loved it.

Cheers,
Scott.

@ScottLevi Don't be sorry - I'm happy that you liked it so much. Very kind words.

Great and full of nostalgia as Binladeda mentioned. Like it from 0.00 till 4.08.
Folk at it's best. Thank you my friend for this wonderful song.
Alexander

@fischermans Thank you for your lovely comments. Always a great compliment coming from you.

youre to relay man 8) want a col  8)
Hi Alan,

takes me back to the first 45s I was bought by my mother and father. All that's missing is Judith Durham. A lovely song and very enjoyable.

Keith

@diademgrove   Oh yes, Julie Durham would have been great or any other folk singer - is June Tabor's agent on the forum? ;D

Very polished, lovely vocals / lyrics and sensitive arrangement that supports the song. Love the twist in the melody at the end of the chorus.

Nice work,
Kevin

@kevysc Many thanks for listening. Really pleased you liked it.
Hi Alan,

This one brought me right back to my hometown in the West country. Lovely chord progressions especially the change in keys. The guitar strumming, mellow drums, drawn out strings & sultry vocals work very well together.

Law

@The Portrait Piano Hi and thanks for the positive comments. I'm from the West Country also.

Lovely music and feel here. Really like that gentle organ sound which really fills the space.

Clever storytelling as well right up to the poignant ending. I wondered about the change in the robin verse - I think you could have gone with song again in that last line? Not that it really stood out when listening.

I will make one slightly critical point: I would try to phrase the chorus slightly differently - where you sing "the wild wood [pause] Covered the land" for me it follows the music too closely at the cost of feeling natural. (I've been looking at some of my own vocals recently in this light so maybe this is on my mind but it did stand out to me...)

But it's a fine song and really easy on the ears for sure.

@adamfarr Thanks for taking the time to listen closely - it is appreciated. I'm particularly pleased lyrically with "blossoms for blessings let handfuls fall free" - I think that's as poetic as I'm going to get!

Hey Monty  ;D

I remember this very well ;D....don't know why ::).  Must be getting on for 7 years ??
 Think it was the first time I heard that voice of yours  ;D  and it still gets me....every time ;D
 Reminds me of people like Val Doonican, Roger Whittaker etc.  Full of nostalgia for me.  Takes me
 back to the front room, watching TV with me Mum and Dad....you're a magician ;D ;D

Love it Monty...

@Binladeda Great comments and pleased you remembered it from 7 years ago - wow!

Hi Al,

(Listened on Klipsch earbuds)

To me this genre really suits your voice, superb vocals and production, lovely acoustic guitar.

Would have been great to have a Female tracking Vox on V2.

Nice thickening of the BVox in the bridge.

Maybe a building of instruments in each verse.

A really very lovely song.

Rich

@cowparsleyman Thank you Rich. Yep, female vocals would have been great - it's just hard to drag my wife in front of the mic!

Beautifully sung, played, and produced. I like the ending and the falcon imagery.

Lynn
@redrhodie  Thanks Lynn - great comments.

This is very lovely Alan, GL would approve of this one I think, I really enjoyed listening to it. Geoff

@Furry61 Thanks Geoff. Gordon Lightfoot is one of my heroes so that's a big compliment.

Fine execution of a song of the traditional English folk song Alan. I thought that the M8 was an unexpected and different departure and liked the chord changes going on. Another fine song to add to your portfolio

@pompeyjazz  The middle eight is the bit I re-wrote for this version. I adapted a verse from the old version and I think it works well.

Yo Alan.

I've played 'The Gambler' too many times to count,this is a close flyby on the verses.

Overall it's well done and quintessentially English folk,it drives and convinces. I can't comment on the original,but the new chorus works for me.

Top work.  8)

@Skub

Hi Davy,
I hadn't noticed the "Gambler" thing. I can hear what you mean but I'm not sweating too much! Pleased you liked the English folky feel that's what I was aiming for.

Lovely folk song @montydog .. and of course that’s always going to be a good start for me :-). ‘Bone bare winters...’ my favourite turn of phrase among many in your image-laden lyrics. Just lovely. Nice touch with the acappella section at the end.

@MonnoDB - Glad you liked it and thanks for the positive review.

Once again, thanks to all

All the best

M