konalavadome

Armour

• 5 Replies

The Portrait Piano

• Busker
« on: January 28, 2019, 12:34:49 PM »
Hello People,

I've been recording my songs on mobile phone piano/vocals but want to improve and record properly through a DAW. Instead of jumping straight in ar*se over face I thought it would be better to get advice from you talented bunch.

I always felt this one would sound better with more instruments & effects as the chord sequencing & melody is quite simple and monotone. Any suggestions about what style I should go for / instruments to add would be most helpful. I'm pretty settled on the lyrics & melody but am open to suggestions.

I wrote the song when I needed to overcome a tough time in my life. This song is a kick up the backside to never give up.

I hope it'll be an enjoyable listen, I really appreciate your time  😁

Law

https://m.soundcloud.com/theportraitpiano/armour

Armour

Chorus
It hurts 10 times more
Than the last time
I saw this place
The glazed eyes made

It gives me 10 times more
Strength!
To defeat them in the end

Verse 1
Clouding my reasons
Discarding my angel
Revealing my emotions
To the out of reach to see them
Should I go on?
You're the one they want
You're the one they'll hunt
You will have to fight
Don't let yourself die

Chorus
It hurts 10 times more
Than the last time
I saw this place
The glazed eyes made

Strength!

Verse 2
Breaking my courage
Destroying my village
Burning down my gates
Holding back all my mistakes
I made for a trade

You're the one they want
You're the one they'll hunt
You will have to fight
Don't let yourself die

Bridge
Polish your armour
Sharpen your knives
Get to the harbour
Set sail for your life
Awaiting the battle
Thou shall not feel fear
As blood runs down your blade
You shall not shed a tear

Chorus
It hurts 10 times more
Than the last time
I saw this place
The glazed eyes made

Strength!

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 02:23:19 PM »
Hi Law!

I agree that this song could do with a bigger arrangement. I think your piano playing suits the song but you should try to get a better sound.
Imo this is a great opportunity to start with a DAW. You have a complete song, you only need to give it more variation.
When it comes to arrangement I've just put my toes into the lake, but as suggested earlier a free multi track daw like Audacity might make you get a clearer picture of what you need (from a DAW) to work efficiently so you know what you need before you spend money on a commercial daw.
The other option is to just but Studio One Artist 4, about 80£ if my conversion estimate is correct, and get the most expensive usb mic you can afford (M-Audio Uber Mic ~80£ or Blue Yeti ~120£) also check the second hand market. Also consider a professional grade mic stand (~40£ I guess).

Your song reminds me a bit of 'Hold on to your dreams' by Henrik Berggren, I could only find it at Spotify. It might give you some inspiration when considering arrangement.

Cheers,
Martin

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 09:47:22 PM »
Decent song mate. I can imagine some strings going on in the mix.

The Portrait Piano

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 05:27:07 PM »
Thank you for your advice so far

@Martinswede the presonus audio interface comes with studio one artist so I'm thinking about buying that and then a decent mic to plug into it, probably the sex1. Thanks for introducing me to Henrik Berggren, he has a luring melancholic voice.

@RealKevM yeah strings was high on the list, thanks for listening

Law

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 06:06:14 PM »
Hi Law. Think this is really good. Interesting and different. Like Kev M I can hear some strings on this.

It's going to make a whole dimension of difference production wise once you start getting into DAW land.

Good work man and good luck with the DAW - Don't give up  :) :)

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 07:19:53 PM »
Hi Law!
That sounds like a great set up.
If you don't have a good mic stand suggest K&M 210/9 Black. It's pricey but with a heavy mic you'll need one of those wise-like handles to get it to stick like fudge. A heavy mic in a poor stand that slowly drops an inch every minute must be seen as Karma intervening. Don't let that ruin an otherwise great take.

All the best,
Martin