Hideaway (demo, work in progress)

• 13 Replies

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« on: January 28, 2019, 09:31:35 AM »
Hi guys, here's a little song I came up with the other day, took me all of 20 minutes (maybe it shows lol) it's a simple, happy song i've written for my young daughter. It's quite simple and childlike with the rhythm and lyrics but I guess it's supposed to be, I'm not happy with the last verse so i need to have a look at that again. My pitch is all over, i'm hoping one day i'll be able to sing in tune! Anyhow please let me know what you think to the song.

There you go making a mess
Doesn't matter when you're in that dress
Let's count together 1-2-3
Here we go with the ABC's

Chorus
I want to take you under the sea
Hideaway just you and me
I'll take your little hand
While we play in the soft white
Sand

2nd verse
What will you be when you grow old?
When everything's been bought and sold
A snowman, Postman, Ballerina?
Just you be a dreamer

3rd verse
So when you're all grown
And you've got kids of your own
Stop and think about this song
And remember where you're from

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 10:05:55 AM »
I've recorded a newer version this morning, well new vocals anyway, please let me know what you think to the song :)

The Portrait Piano

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 05:10:00 PM »
Hi Kev,

What a sweet thing, I've written something for my son too.

I like the double vocals & upbeat summer feel it has. For me I think an uplifting drum beat would add body to what's aiready there. Just an idea, you could try holding on to the note longer when singing "sand"

Thanks for sharing
Law

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 08:58:18 PM »
Hi Law, thanks for checking it out. I need to figure out how to add drums to all of my songs lol :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 10:38:44 PM »
Hi Kev. Sounding mighty fine. Would be more than happy to help you out with drum stuff but would need you to provide the song backed with a basic click track and know the bpm. Lovely song.

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 11:20:12 PM »
Thank you. That would be really cool, thank you. Now to figure out about click tracks and the bpm lol (i'm not very technically minded with recording stuff)

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 10:55:44 PM »
Hi Kev,

I'm not sure about the rhyming pattern which is the same throughout the song. Without altering the words of the verses you could rearrange the lines so you have an ABAB pattern rather than the current AABB pattern. for me it would make the song a little more interesting. Please ignore me if you disagree.

The song reminds me of Lou Reed, definitely a compliment.

I'm not sure if you use a DAW to record your songs but most of them come with a click track. Its an electronic metronome which allows you to programme midi intruments with your song. For example the drums to What Might Have Been (thanks for the kind words about my bass playing) were programmed with the click track. You then just play along to the click track and it keeps you in time.

Keith

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 07:58:19 AM »
Hi Keith, cheers for having a listen and the kind words :)
I use a digital recorder thing so not sure if it has a click track don't think it does, i'll work on my timing though. You're right about the similarity in verse and chorus and changing the rhythm would help wouldn't it, something for me to work on :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 08:07:31 AM »
Ah I didn't know that! Cheers man and good morning :)

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 11:57:00 AM »
My phone has a wire plugged into the wall and no apps. I forget sometimes that I'm living in the modern world and people now carry mini computers around with them in their pockets and handbags.

Kev, if you download audacity (its free) it comes with a click track and much else. It'll give you a good introduction to mixing sound if you want to develop that side of your musical education. The first songs I did I recorded with audacity. I put on the click track (played through headphones) and pressed play.

If you do use audacity you can import the audio from your digital device into it and away you go. You can add overdubs, drum loops and all sorts of other found sounds. Its been a long time since I used audacity and I think its much better than when I started. There should be plenty of Youtube lessons on how to use it.

I always mark the beginning of the song with either 8 strums on the dead strings or 1, 2, 3, 4 said twice, followed by 4 clicks of silence to make sure everything is lined up correctly. Maybe not the best way of doing it but it works for me.

Messing with sound is one of the pleasures in life, at least for me.

Keith

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 02:30:57 PM »
+ 1 with Regards to Audacity. I started on that as well, however it doesn't have a midi facility which may not be important now but if you want to get into creating drum patterns and additional instruments it's pretty important. Anyway it's free so nothing to lose  :)

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 10:00:50 AM »
My phone has a wire plugged into the wall and no apps. I forget sometimes that I'm living in the modern world and people now carry mini computers around with them in their pockets and handbags.

Kev, if you download audacity (its free) it comes with a click track and much else. It'll give you a good introduction to mixing sound if you want to develop that side of your musical education. The first songs I did I recorded with audacity. I put on the click track (played through headphones) and pressed play.

If you do use audacity you can import the audio from your digital device into it and away you go. You can add overdubs, drum loops and all sorts of other found sounds. Its been a long time since I used audacity and I think its much better than when I started. There should be plenty of Youtube lessons on how to use it.

I always mark the beginning of the song with either 8 strums on the dead strings or 1, 2, 3, 4 said twice, followed by 4 clicks of silence to make sure everything is lined up correctly. Maybe not the best way of doing it but it works for me.

Messing with sound is one of the pleasures in life, at least for me.

Keith
Thanks Keith i'm going to take a look at Audacity, thank you for taking the time to let me know about it and offer me that advice. Everyone here is so positive and helpful.

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 10:52:52 AM »
Thank you for all the feedback do far, here's a 1+1 live version I recorded this morning (I just want to show off my new guitar really) :)