Songwriter Forum > The Writing Process

Self doubt

<< < (3/3)

Elian:

--- Quote from: Williamjohnsmith on January 22, 2019, 06:55:53 AM ---
* the lyrics take me so long to write because I never think they are good enough which means I end up working for a very long time on the song and end up hating it
--- End quote ---

NEVER put something out if you do not feel it's the absolute best, so if you feel the lyrics are not good enough keep polishing them until they are. If it just seems like a dead end and waste too much time on lyrics, just scrap 'em and start from scratch. Good songs don't take ages to write.

* i start recording the vocals and hate the sound of my own voice so get annoyed and stop writing the song
--- End quote ---

Don't we all? I'll go off-topic a bit, but please bare with me. Have you ever looked in the mirror and looked okay then taken a picture of yourself and thought you looked awful? You actually look the exact same, but mirrors simply invert everything they reflect so the difference between it and the image tricks you into believing you look bad.

It's the exact same thing with your voice. You hear yourself differently because of how voice forms in the body, resonating against your sinuses, while the microphone records it as it comes out of your mouth. The difference between the two tricks you into thinking your voice sucks when in reality might not be the case. I haven't heard a single vocalist, from amateurs to Grammy winners, that didn't hate the way their voice sounds on recordings.

* I easily go off ideas and throw them in the bin
--- End quote ---

I think we're all guilty of that, myself included. Inspiration can hit us in a split second, but completing a song ain't no easy task. Taking a musical idea from inception to its final form requires discipline, which can be trained just like a muscle. Force yourself to work on developing each idea instead of scrapping it immediately. If it doesn't take you anywhere after an hour or so, feel free to scrap it or, if you still feel there's something there, put it aside, work on something else and come back to it another time.

--- Quote from: Williamjohnsmith on January 22, 2019, 06:55:53 AM ---I also have to record in my parents house and they are usually in which makes me nervous to record vocals and when I do they maybe don’t sound as good because the performance is weak as I’m trying to be quiet

--- End quote ---

Listen, your voice and your music will only be as good as the head space you're in when recording, so as long as you're limiting yourself, your overall sound will suffer. We make music for others to listen to, that's the whole point of it. Like it or not, your music will reach other people's ears, people who will not be as supportive or forgiving as your parents. You will not be able to please everybody and many will say you suck. Do you know any artist out there whose voice and music are liked by absolutely everybody? I don't.

If moving out and having a place of your own is out of the question (which I completely understand), maybe you want to look into portable home recording booths, whether you DIY one (YouTube is a great resource for that) or buy it ready-made.

Good luck and keep doing what you love most!  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version