Songwriter Forum > The Bar

Keyboard for Beginner

(1/3) > >>

jacksimmons:
So one of my NY resolutions is to learn to play the piano/keyboard. Do any of you guys have any recommendations for a good beginner keyboard? I want something that's a good size for learning on, ideally with weighted keys and a MIDI output. I am happy to spend a few hundred quid but don't want to go too far above £200 if I can help it. Any quick go-to beginner keyboards?

Martinswede:
Hi Jack!

I checked at andertons.co.uk and Yamaha NP12 Piaggero 61 might be what you're looking for. It doesn't seem to have weighted keys but I'd think you have to double your budget to get that. Anyway you'll need a stand and a sustain pedal (about 40£ I'd guess).

Martin

Boydie:
I would suspect that the second hand market (eBay, gumtree etc.) may be a good place to look

A pretty old keyboard with good weighted keys etc. by a reputable brand is likely to tick all of your boxes - and if you are going the MIDI route it doesn't really matter about the sounds as you could trigger softsynths/samplers with updated sounds

I am not a keyboardist so hopefully someone will be along soon but I would suggest checking out some reviews from about 5 years ago and see what was the top dog then - and then check the eBay prices

The Portrait Piano:
Hi Jack,

I bought the Casio CTK-5000 7 years ago when my budget was also a meagre £200.

Before moving to crowded London town, I always had an upright piano and just assumed the quality of an acoustic had to be better than a keyboard. Whilst that still holds true, keyboards have become very good indeed & ideal for smaller homes.

The above mentioned Casio is a full sized keyboard with 88 weighted keys. For the price 7 years ago I couldn't find anything close to beating it. The grandpiano sound is good quality & the weighted keys whilst plasticy does respond sensiviely to touch. The nearest alternative I think were the Yamahas but for the same price the quality was inferior, if you've got £400+ then they're better than the Casio.

If you would like to hear how it sounds, feel free to have a listen to my song below. It's a simple mobile phone recording so will give you an idea of how it sounds coming out of the keyboard speakers.

https://m.soundcloud.com/theportraitpiano/strangest-of-senses

Hope this helps & let us know what you finally choose!

Law

jacksimmons:
Thanks guys for your suggestions. Really like the look of both of those. One question for those with the technical know-how; are touch-sensitive/touch-responsive keys the same as weighted keys? I have found a few with weighted keys and a few with touch sensitive/responsive keys - are they two different ways of saying the same thing?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version