F... Sympathy (drum challenge competition non-entry)

• 8 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« on: January 21, 2019, 10:20:12 AM »
Never a good time to post this, but selfishly I really want to get it off my chest.

I got really excited about the competition, wrote, played and mixed a song I was enthusiastic about. For a while I'd wanted to write a cancer song that was empathetic and defiant, addressing how unprepared everyone is (also hindered as I saw it by organised religion) and trying to get around some elephants in the room with some dark humour (which is the only way I can think of to cope - by the way I'm OK, this is not about me directly).

As competition day loomed, I started to question myself and decided that what I had done was in fact just naive and the dark humour was more at the expense of the people I was trying to empathise with. So I couldn't go ahead and had no time to rewrite.

I've had that time now and think it's OK to allow those that wish to to hear the rewritten version. I still don't entirely know whether I've crossed lines, but feel I can live with this version much better than the original.

Please feel free to skip over... Or approach on the basis that yes it may be provocative but is really intended to express my current personal way of coping... If you think I have made a mistake, then that's also fine, we shouldn't fall out over that. (Life's too short, right?)

Not posting in Finished Songs, or looking for musical feedback, because that's not really the point.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:52:21 PM »
Hi Adam

I like it. It's pretty uncompromising...but I don't think anyone could take offence. Unless they wanted to, of course...as some do. F F F F Fuck them, I say.

Songs are a great way of saying something that we'd otherwise perhaps not say out loud...and that's one of the reasons I love writing and listening.

We get very interesting and enjoyable unique and off-the-wall takes on all kinds of subjects here on the forum that the mainstream would undoubtedly filter out. That's perhaps the main attraction for me. I can get enough of the other stuff elsewhere.

I recently read a great article about the danger of self-censorship...and it made me even more determined to speak out about stuff I care about...the alternative being forced to conform to the insipid non-threatening unchallenged drivel we are often spoon-fed into thinking we ought to feel obliged to swallow.

We all have to deal with things in our own unique way...unless we are just sheep... otherwise, we might not actually be dealing with them at all.

I've had a couple of listens and I'm pleased I did.

Song of the month here you come  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 02:36:43 PM »
Absolutely F F F F Fantastic Adam. You've hit the proverbial nail on the head.

"Oh mate, so sorry to hear your "news".
Not as sorry as you will be..."

This is just so spot on.

There's a brilliant raw energy about this song. Picks you up by the feet and throws you round the room. Reminiscent of some of the stuff Swell Maps / Spizz Energy used to do.

A real shame you missed the comp as I'm sure this would have been a contender.

This is the sort of music I want to listen to

It's got something to say
It shakes you
It makes you think

Brilliant  :) :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 07:31:57 PM »
I Dig it Adam, very good punk song... not offensive enough...cancer is a game changer even if you survive, you can still hear father time dragging his scythe...

As for being prepared im not sure, there’s a lot one can do to reduce the likelihood of it.

In one of my bands a long time, the lead singers bird had lukemia, and he wrote the sensitivity penned ‘down to your grave’ featuring the the funeral march lead gtr solo, she smiled every time she heard t, then she stopped coming to the practices....

Rich
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:38:02 PM by cowparsleyman »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 02:16:09 PM »
Thanks all. Possibly a sensible co-writer or just a sounding board could have got me through this the first time ;-)

I do still worry whether anyone in the situation would just think this is totally unrealistic and slightly exploitative. But I'd probably still want to make the same general points. Maybe freedom of expression does come with responsibility, but it shouldn't be watered down to try to please everyone.

Anyhow, time to move on - many thanks for the support, and glad to have this one set free into the wild.

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 06:47:56 PM »
Nice Adam!

The late Warren Zevon made an album called 'Life 'll kill ya'. It included the masterpiece 'My shit's fucked up'.

All the best,
Martin

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 11:18:22 AM »

WOW...I was not expecting that ;D ;D .  First class job Adam.  A great Neo Folk Punkiness about it....loved it
 Great delivery, and the guitar style was exactly what was needed.  I'm amazed and enlightened ;D ;D ;D

Bags of energy/passion/emotion/expression....it's all there ;D ;D .  Top song old chap  ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 01:23:19 PM »
What's this doing hiding here @adamfarr ? I almost missed it..

I love the irreverence of it, to my mind a completely appropriate way to approach the subject. Glad to hear it's not about you.

BTW and eta I hear you on the "is it exploitative...." bit although I don't think your song is at all and I think you've described that context well.  But I did ponder that on a recent song with not a dissimilar inspiration albeit approached differently... writing the song (well the words at least) was almost like an automatic reaction and that's fine and a private thing, but publishing the song is a little different.. anyway food for thought..

Love the spoken part - particularly this bit:

"So the doctor wants to speak to me in person, does he? Oh B...."

Great attitude and delivery.. really glad I caught it!

K

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 10:31:32 PM »
Yo Adam.

I recognise that drum pattern!  ;)

Do you recall a quirky member on here Jathon Delsy? He used to do videos of his music wearing...uh..unconventional clothing. His music was peerless and adventurous.

The reason I mention him,is because your vocal reminds me so much of him.

A great take on the drum challenge,Adam and a great take on an uncomfortable subject.

Double win,in my book.  8)