konalavadome

Full acoustic set from last night *critique wanted*

• 5 Replies

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« on: January 16, 2019, 04:13:08 PM »
Hi, I played an acoustic set here last night, i'm not expecting anyone to watch the whole thing but if you wouldn't mind having a quick look and giving me any pointers particularly on my stage presence, confidence etc or indeed anything else. Thank you :)

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 09:55:14 AM »
Hi Kev,

I watched the full video a few days ago and these are my initial impressions.

I couldn't really hear all the words. For acoustic music I think it is important that the vocals are clearly heard. Especially if you are singing original songs. It may just be the way your set was recorded but the guitar was too loud and drowned out the vocal.

I was distracted by your walking backwards and forwards. It seemed you were walking away from your audience when you had nothing to sing. That may just be my age and watching Dylan's Don't Look Back too much. I watched your first song today just to make sure my initial impression was right.

I wouldn't have the guts to get up and sing so disregard anything I've said if you don't agree.

Keith 

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 04:25:50 PM »
Hi Keith cheers for watching! Yeah that walking to and from the mic is a bad habit and you're not the first to mention it. I'm going to quit doing it or as much anyway. I think nit hearing the vocals clearly could be a recording issue but I do lack confidence in my voice so I'm likely not giving it my all in terms of singing loud and clear. Thank you for pointing it out its really helpful.

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 07:25:50 AM »
I love the Open Mic posts!

Some songs were new to me, others I've heard on your posts. Nice to hear them in a set.
It takes some time to get comfortable singing for 20 mins into a mic that's 2mm from your face. I still hate it.
I find the best way is to focus on the audience.

I admire your courage, I've never stood on a stage alone.
/Martin

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 08:21:05 AM »
Hi Kev

I only had time to watch the first two songs... I'll check out the rest later.

I've done a handful of solo acoustic gigs and don't really enjoy it. What has helped me a lot has been to try and think "why should anyone listen to me?" there are always far better singers and far better guitarists than me...so the best way for me has been to try to bring something different. I'm guilty of doing the things I'm now saying aren't such a good idea...like strumming the same pattern and doing it too fast and singing as though it's an ordeal that you secretly hope will soon be over is what I've often done...and I have to make a conscious effort not to do that. Having said that...if the audience look like they're loving it...then by all means carry on.

Now, I try to slow down and find a way of engaging people with the story I'm trying to tell. If there's a message in the song, try to make it easier to grasp and maybe find little ways of making people take notice. Stops when not expected can work really well...acapella sections too for example.

Just a couple of thoughts...not meant to be critical at all...it's really hard to do. Easy with a band...but here, there's nowhere to hide.

Best of luck with it.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 08:02:22 AM »
@Martinswede Cheers for having a watch mate, really appreciated. Yeah it's pretty nerve wracking but i'm getting more comfortable and confident.

@PaulAds Thanks for the tips, I do need to engage more, slow down and involve my audience. Still early days for me playing live.