2019 new competition - ideas?

• 31 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 07:58:50 AM »
Ah Martin. You've just ruined my perceptions of what a lovely country Sweden is  ;D

Nilotic is a new one for me. I had to Google it  :)

Like it  :)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 08:32:08 AM »
March... could be Brexotic...

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 08:49:40 AM »

Isn't cross genre both exotic and erotic  ;D ;D .  There you have it then........

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 10:08:09 AM »

oops...was thinking of cross gender, not cross genre  ;D ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 11:59:37 AM »
How about a fusion of 2 top level genres

Just pick any 2 they have to be recognisable. Like classical and hip hop, or country and britpop .....

Rich

I thought that's how you were suppose to write songs  ;D ;D ;D  I might be in if we can throw a little "psychotic" into the mix  ;D ;D ;D 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 12:03:13 PM by crystalsuzy »

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 02:07:32 PM »
Okay so theme is something like exotic/erotic. Let your muse take you...

And target 31st March, which is two and a bit months, that should be okay.

Martin had volunteered to help co-host. So could someone offer to help him we’d be all set to go :-)

Neil
songwriter of no repute..

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2019, 12:23:34 AM »
what about what Rich suggested? I think that would be a cool challenge :)

"How about a fusion of 2 top level genres

Just pick any 2 they have to be recognisable. Like classical and hip hop, or country and britpop .....

So we're not going to have the 2 completely different genres included"[/b]

Rich

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 08:37:11 AM »
Hi all!

I'm all up for starting/posting the Topic at say, 10th of February with complete guidelines finishing day and so forth.
But I'd really like some help with formulation. I tend to get a bit wordy.

Just listening to tracks posted, I'd say many of the members all ready use some cut/paste when it comes to genres. But I think it's a more solid and understandable condition than 'exotic'. I suggest collaboration should be greatly supported but optional. It might be a problem with (reversed) biasing if we vote and three members have collaborated on a song and then are not allowed to vote on their song. Giving is a minus count of (-)3, where as a song made by one member only has a minus count of (-)1. If on the other hand a lot of members with no competition entry vote this will even out.

I assume a ratio of 1:5 will be sufficient. From memory I have no statistics on the 'Summer Comp' or 'Drum Challenge'.

Anyway. This post is mostly made to prove the point that I need someone to help me make things MORE fun and LESS bureaucratic.

Ps. Would The Verve:s song 'Bitter Sweet Symphony' be considered as a song with two distinct genres? Ds.

All the best,

Martin

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 08:28:28 PM »
@Martinswede - A few ideas fo the entrants...

Put a different drum beat on an existing track
Change the gtr vst to heavy instead of clean, or vice versa
speed it up/slow it down
Chop it up
put 2 songs together, and sellotape over the joins....

Lykka till Martin as they say(I think)...must go and listen to Lordi, just can't be serious with those masks...

Hope this helps

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 10:05:05 PM »
Any ideas as to who will be running this comp with @Martinswede and do we have a theme ? I know there have been loads of ideas. I guess it's down to you guys organising it to make a decision on that front  :) There's one helluva a lot of ideas in the pot for sure

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2019, 02:31:11 PM »
Hi people, and members who'd rather not be referred to as a part of the collective group in layman's terms called 'The human race', (no pun intended, though the context of a contest)!

Winter is here and as we say in Sweden- Half of the snow falls in February.
All the pretty birds have flown south, but the ones we recent are still sticking around,
starving, sh*****ng, scaring old people.

But that doesn't bring me down.

But... (Yes.)
It seems like, even with the kind help of @pompeyjazz, this topic has lost it's momentum.
I take full responsibility for letting it go more sideways than forward.

If anyone feel like reassembling the troops and get this, or some version of it, another go the turn out might 
as a nice complement to 'Feedback on finished songs' and 'SOTM'.

Thank you for all good ideas so far,

Cheers
/Martin

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2019, 10:32:27 PM »
So any takers to help @Martinswede then ? Of course I could volunteer again but that's fecking boring cos you just get my angle. Come on you talented and creative people and let's get a compo going  :)

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2019, 03:54:14 PM »
So. I decided, if it's Ola Kala with @Neil C,  to run the competition myself. I'll check in and see if anyone is interested in helping out with the voting part(the booooring part) at the end of the competition.

My plan is to post a Competition topic on Monday 11th with general guidelines and a motivation speech. I'll also create a post in Collaborations as a board to easily find collabs for this Competition, further referenced to as The Spring Quest.

I'll set it up running for six weeks. End date 31th March. Mostly to enable for spontaneous collabs along the writing/recording process.

I'll do my best to get new members/Buskers to join in, since it might be a good way to start collaborating/elaborating within The Forum.

All the best,
Martin