The Girl With The 20 Inch (50.8 cm) Waist

• 22 Replies

The Portrait Piano

• Busker
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 09:35:47 PM »
Hi PJ,

This one's so funky, can't help but boogie to it  :D Really great lyrics, so funny and clever put together rythmes!

The Portrait Piano

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 06:51:33 AM »
Hey John, great lyrics here. Love the rhymes like others do. Nothing to criticise love it from the first second on.
Alexander
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 07:45:08 AM »
Thanks you to all who have listened to / reviewed this song. As ever, I really appreciate all of the feedback

@adamfarr – Thanks Adam. Now why didn't I think of  preposterous ?? I'll have a look at boosting the brass a bit – There are some right horror stories out there about this sort of stuff

@Lostboy – Cheers Leo – Hear what you're saying about the BV's – Wanted to feel a bit loose (that's a great excuse isn't it ) :-) - Yeah – 6 ribs, that's scary man !!!

@RealKevM – Not the place to go I think !!! I like to write about stuff that's slightly off the normal radar

@MichaelA – Yep, BV comments noted – I love playing this funky kind of stuff

@PaulAds – Cheers Paul, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's a bit of fun with a message hopefully !!

@Skub – Thanks Davy – Yes, eyebrows are scary, scary, scary. I can't understand why some people want to look like clowns

@Wicked Deeds – Thank you Paul – 80's cheese was what I was aiming for. I started off on this one with a kind of idea to recreate a Barry White sound but that's really complex, plus I could never do the Bazza vocals :-)

@macker71165 – Cheers Man ! With regard to clarity of mix, there are tons of guys on here that know their production chops way more that me but the one thing I would really recommend is to get your head around EQ if nothing else.

@Martinswede – I changed the song title for your benefit Martin – 50.8 cm !!

@Neil C – Cheers Neil, Glad you thought I hit the brief

@Pauly X – The more outrageous the rhyme the better as far as I'm concerned. DON'T DO IT PAUL :-)

@Yodasdad – Cheers Martin, I really appreciate your feedback, glad you enjoyed the listen

@CaliaMoko – Get what you're saying about pronunciation Vicki. Do you think it's a regional accent, US / UK thing ?

@cawproductions – Cheers guys. You had a 20 inch waist Andy ?? I did too when I was about 6 !

@The Portrait Piano – Thank you – Glad you had a boogie :-)

@fischermans – Cheers Alex – Can't get much better feedback than that

Thank you all once again

John

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 03:43:07 PM »
CaliaMoko – Get what you're saying about pronunciation Vicki. Do you think it's a regional accent, US / UK thing ?

Sometimes it is, although this time I was mainly referring to the shoe/choo versions of "you". I don't remember exactly which ones I noticed here and, for some reason, can't get where I can see or hear them at the moment ??? but anyway, it's like when people say "don'tchew". Sometimes such seem to fit into the song okay but other times they sound distracting.

I do suspect people in some areas talk more like that than in others, so maybe it could be a regional thing. It happens a lot in the US, too. You're in good company, though. The Everly Brothers were terrible in that regard. I love their music, but I cringe when they sing "I wanchew to know that when you walked out on me...." And Pentatonix is even worse because they're inconsistent. Listen to "Mary, Didjew Know" sometime. Sometimes they sing "didjew" and sometimes they sing "did you". It seems to depend on who has the lead at any given moment.

Anyway, in spite of my best efforts, the practice will never go away, so I'll get off my soapbox and rest up for my next tirade.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 12:25:33 PM »
Quirky as hell... love the way you push the envelope with your themes and yes I do love a non-obvious rhyme and you’ve certainly done that. Not always a fan of brass, it really works here. Overall sound is very cool and fuynky. Again in awe of the speed at which you turn around quality tracks like this.

K

SlavaB

• Open Mic
  • Born to Rock
    • Official Web Site
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2019, 01:54:22 PM »
Hi John,

As always great work, the saxophone part is my favourite in this track. Very cool song.

Thank you.
Best Regards,
Slava B.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 02:30:02 PM »
Hi John,

Some brilliant rhymes but this is the best:
"For those of you less prosperous
Take a trip across the Bosphoros!"

Such a clever song, witty and insightful. Loved the instrumentation and singing. Fab production as well. I have no negative comments or suggestions for changes. I enjoyed listening to this.

M

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2019, 04:14:55 PM »
Clever song great lyrics and tackling a subject which needs addressing.

Love the horns and sax, the song has a cool 80s genre feel.

Real hints of Squeeze and the Style Council.... Love that.

A great listen

Sandeep