konalavadome

Chimpanzee no 65

• 1 Replies

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« on: February 14, 2019, 11:29:33 PM »
Hi All,

Here is my latest song. This song has had quite a difficult development which I wont bore you with the details of, but in short its always been quite experimental with a lot of layers of sound. Theres 2 guitars, a synth, 2 piano tracks, 2 vocals and bass and 2 drum tracks. The mix has been a real problem and ive opted to focus on bringing out the bass line as the anchor for the whole song. Other elements remain as per the early demos and remain experimental.  the vocal delivery has also been tough as its right at the top of the range. Ive put a lot of reverb on the vocals as a result. Ultimately its a PUNK ROCK song so im happy that its a bit chaotic in places. Im keen for feedback in particular on the mix and if theres any rudimentary EQ work I can do. Advice please.

The song itself completes a trilogy of songs loosely connected to exploring the darker side of the Apollo Space program. The first 2 are Sea of tranquillity and Race for Space which I showcased on this forum some time ago . The song is on face value a tribute to Ham the Chimp - the first Simian in Space - He was the 65th Chimpanzee to be used in support of the Apollo Program. His backstory is interesting because he actually began life free from captivity and was captured in Africa before being indoctrinated into the Space program. The song is also intended to be a metaphor for a young man whos soul has been captured by capitalism - hence sung in the first person.

Here are the lyrics.
I swing through the trees , I eat wild fruit,
 I like to be groomed and  I go ant fishing.
Sometimes we hunt sometimes we mate ,
Oftentimes we sit and masturbate

That was then, and this is now,
I don’t really know they caught me somehow.
I ran away, as fast as I can
But everywhere I turned there was a man.

so young, I was taken from my mother.
so was my sister and so was my brother.

And now If a blue light flashes
 I get a little shock.
If I press a lever I can make it switch off.

4 hours every day they put me in a can.
I have to push levers, to spin myself around.

When are you gonna  free m?. I want to slow this down.
When will you release me? I want to come back down.
When wil you release me. My life is upside down?

Mother please hear me. I wanna come back down.

And here is the song

https://soundcloud.com/mickyplankton/chimpanzee-no-65-1-2

thanks in advance for listening and feeding back. Cheers, Micky

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 07:54:07 AM »
sorry posted in wrpng section. ive copied it over to Finished songs. Can one of the admins remove it from here. Thanks!