konalavadome

Strangest of Senses

• 18 Replies

The Portrait Piano

• Busker
« on: January 14, 2019, 10:59:28 AM »
I guess this is just a run of the mill love song. It's written for a special someone and I just wanted to share it. Thanks for listening  :D

https://soundcloud.com/theportraitpiano/strangest-of-senses

Strangest of Senses

Verse 1
Once again
I'm writing a song
It's the strangest of senses
Happiness

Every time this happens
I know I will get a cupboard
Jump straight in and smash it open
It's only emotions

Day after day
I see myself in the mirror
I am dancing inside with my shadow
Getting low

Chorus
Every time I see your face
Your sweetest smile and soft embrace
I know why it's so
I can't bear to live without you
Can't you tell can't you tell these words are true * 2

Verse 2
Once again
I'm writing a song
It's the strangest of senses
The sadness

Every time this happens
I know I will get a hammer
Smash things up until they're broken
It's only emotions

Night after night
I see myself in the mirror
I am dancing inside with my shadow
I feel the glow

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 12:29:45 PM »
@The Portrait Piano - I really dig this, some very nice progressions. Just needs a bit of production and maybe arranged a bit, but very good work.

Hope this helps

Rich

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 03:08:37 PM »
Hi mate,
I completely agree with the above comment. Very nice piano especially. Just needs a bit of production to make the vocal pop a bit.

I'm sure you're special someone will love it though.

Nice work.😁👍🏻

The Portrait Piano

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 04:25:55 PM »
Thanks for your kind feedback. Do you have any suggestions on production equipment/ software for piano vocals?

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 09:15:10 PM »
Some great piano and the tune has a lot of potential.

As per above comments need a good production process.

Well done

Sandeep

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 11:13:01 PM »
Very Dylanesque vocals,

Again I would agree with the previous comments.

If you let us know how you are doing things at the moment and what equipment you've got available, we could probably suggest something that would require too much effort or investment.

From the sound I'm guessing you're using a single mic, possibly even an iPhone, to record the vocals and a digital piano/keyboard simultaneously. I could be mistaken but if this is the case some basic software that would allow you to record both separately and then combine them would be a good step up.

Then you could look at recording the audio or digital signal from the piano, rather than the sound coming from the speakers, which would eliminate the sound of fingers on keys.

From there a whole world of possibilities are opening up to you...

It's a bit like Pringles though...once you pop, you just can't stop!😆

Yodasdad.

The Portrait Piano

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 01:33:18 AM »
@Yodasdad you're spot on, I basically press record on my phone then start playing & singing.

It'll be great to learn how to record instrumental & vocals separately & digitally. Thanks in advance for your advice!

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 06:32:40 AM »
I agree with all what the others said. Anyway could be a very nice song.
Here you will get a lot of help for sure.
Alexander
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 11:05:05 AM »
Nice piano and melody, i'd try and think about phrasing and perhaps slowing things down a bit. At the moment it's difficult to make out the lyrics plus the vocals need to be louder or brought up in the mix. As I say thouh you've got a really good song here.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 05:06:17 PM »
Yo PP.

The song has a music hall/musical feel.

You sound as if you are holding back on your vocal delivery,as if others can hear and you don't wish to disturb them. This approach never works for anything other than a reference point for a song. You need to be in a place where you can express yourself with no inhibitions.

Like others I'd love to hear a decent recording. I hear the Dylan thing on your vox too.

A solid song man.  :)

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 10:24:51 AM »
I agree with @Yodasdad
It has taken me ten years starting to learn recording. Look for a multi track app for your phone, it might be a good start.

All together a good song!

All the best, and keep posting!
Martin

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 10:42:28 AM »
You can stick with your phone as @Martinswede suggested. If it is indeed an Apple iPhone, you want to download GarageBand. Not sure what is available on Androids. Not sure what kind of interface you would need to record keyboard directly in to the phone, as opposed to the sound from the speakers, but I’m pretty sure the technology is available.

If you have acces to a computer, you’re probably better of going down this route, because it’s no doubt where you end up anyway.

If it’s and Apple Mac, go for GarageBand again, I think it’s free, and it’s perfect for what you want. Not sure what’s best or cheap on PC but I’ve heard good reports from people on here of Reaper.

To get you started on a computer you just need a few basic things: A digital audio workstation (DAW) such as GarageBand/Reaper, a digital/audio interface, a microphone, an audio and/or midi lead to connect keyboard to interface (and a lead for the mic)  and a decent pair of headphones.

From there you will chop and change and add to your setup as necessary.

I’m pretty sure @Boydie may be along shortly to offer you some more expert pointers, or I would recommend posting or looking through the threads on the recording page.

Yodasdad

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 05:30:51 PM »
Some nice chord progressions going on and a good melody. It did sound a bit like you were trying to cram loads of words in there. Maybe it needed slowing down a bit or maybe leave some words out as sometimes less is more  :)

Good work

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 06:17:42 PM »
Yep I think it's all been said... nice chord progressions (especially the choruses), felt like the scanning of the lyrics could be worked on a bit in some of the lines (chop some words out).  I could for sure imagine it with big production though.
It's all too beautiful.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 08:56:29 AM »
You have some very interesting lyrical ideas there - definitely not a run of the mill love song, but something edgy and original.

Phrasing's a taste thing, with no real right or wrong and I say if it sounds right to you then go with that, depending on the effect you want to convey. Reminds me a bit of Benjamin Clementine who seems to have his own (very effective I might say) rules.

So keep going - I'm sure you've got lots more to come.